Improvements to the tyres for racing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Improvements to the tyres for racing

Some people might not want to admit it, but the racing at the Miami GP was actually decent. In my opinion, this was as a result of the track being green, with rubber having been washed away with the rain. Obviously F1 can't rely on a rainstorm to reduce the grip levels in the track.

F1 has already changed the aero to focus on improving racing, and I think they also need Pirelli to focus on it as well. I think they need to produce tyres with lower grip, allowing drivers to use different parts of the track, instead of losing too much grip going offline.

The main problem is that Pirelli tyres have also been criticised this season for having too much durability. They would also need to find a way to reduce the tyre life alongside the change to the grip level. I haven't got too much knowledge on tyre construction, so I don't know how difficult of a task this would be, but I think it could improve racing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Improvements to the tyres for racing

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
09 May 2023, 01:16
Some people might not want to admit it, but the racing at the Miami GP was actually decent. In my opinion, this was as a result of the track being green, with rubber having been washed away with the rain. Obviously F1 can't rely on a rainstorm to reduce the grip levels in the track.

F1 has already changed the aero to focus on improving racing, and I think they also need Pirelli to focus on it as well. I think they need to produce tyres with lower grip, allowing drivers to use different parts of the track, instead of losing too much grip going offline.

The main problem is that Pirelli tyres have also been criticised this season for having too much durability. They would also need to find a way to reduce the tyre life alongside the change to the grip level. I haven't got too much knowledge on tyre construction, so I don't know how difficult of a task this would be, but I think it could improve racing.
I think it's difficult to know whether this was the result of the green track.

ValeVida46

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Some people might not want to admit it, but the racing at the Miami GP was actually decent.
A green track that had a driver start 9th on hard compounds and do 45 laps on said compound leading the race for 50% of those 45 laps.

The race was turgid for the most part, predictable, DRS overtakes, without incident. Checo did a stellar job of jumping out of Verstappens way though, so kudos to him for that.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

This is classic F1 - tyres are too durable so make them less durable to force more pit stops. Tyres are changed to make them less durable and then people complain that the tyres don't allow drivers to push. So the tyres are changed to make them more durable so the drivers can push for longer. Then people complain that the tyres last too long... rinse, repeat.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Some people might not want to admit it, but the racing at the Miami GP was actually decent. In my opinion, this was as a result of the track being green, with rubber having been washed away with the rain.
I do not think this had anything to do with the rain. The only thing the rain changed was that the Hard/Medium strategy was better then Medium/Hard. But in the end it would have always been a one stop race with everyone nursing the tires.
The problem was, and this was clear from before the race, that the tires were selected too hard. Miami is clearly a track for one step softer tires. This would allow for different strategies like Medium/Hard/Hard or Medium/Medium/Hard.

As long as Pirelli just brings too hard tires to the races we do not have to discuss changing the tire.
Don`t russel the hamster!

chrisc90

They should just bring the 3 softest they have to each race. Teams then have to run a 2 stopper.

When you can do the full GP on one set of tyres, it ruins any strategy games you used to see.

What deg did the mclarens see on the hard after they switched to them on lap 8?
Verstappen clearly did very well on the hard. Could have done the full GP if it didn’t need a pitstop

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

chrisc90 wrote:
09 May 2023, 13:23
They should just bring the 3 softest they have to each race. Teams then have to run a 2 stopper.

When you can do the full GP on one set of tyres, it ruins any strategy games you used to see.

Verstappen clearly did very well on the hard. Could have done the full GP if it didn’t need a pitstop
You are wrong, the complete opposite is needed, much more durable and robust tires that allow all the teams and drivers to push much harder(much longer and while in traffic), which require less pit stops, zero if possible and less marbles which worsen racing by narrowing the racing line.

More pit stops lead to less on track action. If a pass is to be made it should be on the track, not in the pits. Watching the fastest race cars in the world at pit lane speed is not exciting. The race should be more about car and driver and less about tires, and team strategy/pit team, the team have far enough input while designing and engineering the car, qually and the race is where the driver should be showcased.

The current problem(since 2011 pirelli introduction) is that the trash that pirelli provides F1 can last all day long if only pushed 85% or so, but won't last a full lap without overheating if pushed beyond 95% or so. This was intentionally designed into the tire as a fuse because of poor pirelli tire construction methods that has an inherent weakness where the sidewall connects with the tire tread. The tires are garbage, they are heavy garbage and the wet tires are even worse. I hate tire wars, but the only way to improve the racing is to get rid of pirelli, and showing just how terrible their product for F1 is in a tire war is the only way I see that happening.

And no, F1, nor the FIA did not ask for these characteristics of the tires, and the requirements for degradation from the FIA were dropped since at least 2017.

https://www.racefans.net/2016/07/15/f1- ... 7-pirelli/
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 09 May 2023, 14:52, edited 3 times in total.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

chrisc90 wrote:

Also, if they brought the 3 softest to each race , often times the hardest of the 3 would be incapable of completing a full qually lap without massive overheating. And having the 3 softest compounds will leave a massive pileup of marbles just off the racing line and destroying any overtaking attempts.

basti313
basti313

chrisc90 wrote:
Same. McLaren was not fast of course, but Nor was super consistent.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Stu

ValeVida46 wrote:
09 May 2023, 10:19
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Some people might not want to admit it, but the racing at the Miami GP was actually decent.

The race was turgid for the most part, predictable, DRS overtakes, without incident. Checo did a stellar job of jumping out of Verstappens way though, so kudos to him for that.
Did you nap through the many laps long tussles between Leclerc/Magnusson and Hamilton’s progress through the field (twice)?

Tyres were probably incorrect compound for both Miami & Baku, but in Pirelli’s defence both tracks have been resurfaced since last year AND the cars are 1.5-2secs per lap faster than last year. Tyres made of chocolate would have the same people up in arms about ‘---’ tyres…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

harty71
harty71

Firstly, they need to scrap the tyre change and then allow more sets, some teams may opt to have 2 to 3 quick stints whilst others might try a one stopper or maybe even a zero stopper.

Lastly, just use an option and a prime, we don't need 3 different compounds.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

They should maybe force drivers use all three sets of compounds for the race as it would maybe split strategies and mixed up the field a bit, racing in 90s and 2000s was great because there was a added excitement of fuel loads involved in strategies for Qualifying and race and tyre wars happening with different manufacturers of tires which made racing great, but only concern about refueling was always safety hence its gone and wont return ever again.

chrisc90

Personally I see the tyre strategy game where someone puts a different tyre on makes for a much more exciting race as a whole.

Was it Mercedes in Barcelona and Red Bull on France couple seasons back chasing the car ahead down after taking a different set of tyres. Fascinating racing and brings much more enjoyment to the overall race.

Now you have cars/tyres that don’t even need a pitstop because the deg is that good on the harder compounds and only stop because the rules make them.

When was the last time we seen something as interesting on tyre strategy (like mentioned above) in the last 2 seasons? We haven’t.

harty71
harty71

chrisc90 wrote:
09 May 2023, 14:52
Personally I see the tyre strategy game where someone puts a different tyre on makes for a much more exciting race as a whole.

Was it Mercedes in Barcelona and Red Bull on France couple seasons back chasing the car ahead down after taking a different set of tyres. Fascinating racing and brings much more enjoyment to the overall race.

Now you have cars/tyres that don’t even need a pitstop because the deg is that good on the harder compounds and only stop because the rules make them.

When was the last time we seen something as interesting on tyre strategy (like mentioned above) in the last 2 seasons? We haven’t.
But, if you only allowed two compounds with a big performance difference, it would make it more exciting and less predictable.

ValeVida46

Stu wrote:
09 May 2023, 14:36
Did you nap through the many laps long tussles between Leclerc/Magnusson and Hamilton’s progress through the field (twice)?

Tyres were probably incorrect compound for both Miami & Baku, but in Pirelli’s defence both tracks have been resurfaced since last year AND the cars are 1.5-2secs per lap faster than last year. Tyres made of chocolate would have the same people up in arms about ‘---’ tyres…
DRS overtakes? The one where Le Clerc twigged he had to wait for the second activation zone.... for 7th place.
How riveting :lol:

Hamilton started on hard tyres and most the first lot of "overtakes" was from mediums pitting for Hards. The second lot were from being on fresher rubber to those he was racing. Indicative of starting outside the top 10 and having a better race strategy and pace on the hards.

Each to their own, if you enjoyed it then fair play to you. I didn't.