Block private messages?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Block private messages?

As above, any way to do this, I'm not seeing it unless I'm blind.

I've set up a rule so someone's DM's just get deleted instantly because I'm sick of being harrassed through them, but obviously it stills means I get a ping and an email every time they still try sending them.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: Block private messages?

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 21:04
As above, any way to do this, I'm not seeing it unless I'm blind.

I've set up a rule so someone's DM's just get deleted instantly because I'm sick of being harrassed through them, but obviously it stills means I get a ping and an email every time they still try sending them.
It’s under ‘board preferences’ in the user control panel, Phillip

A sad state of affairs, when valued members feel this way

PhillipM
PhillipM

Thanks, I was hoping for user specific ones, but that will do for now. Much appreciated.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 21:42
Thanks, I was hoping for user specific ones, but that will do for now. Much appreciated.
If you go to control panel, board preferences, then edit notification options… you can turn off email notification for PMs

Maybe that would be a better option

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If you're getting bombarded with messages from one user, you should take the issue to the mods. The person needs to be dealt with properly including, if necessary, being banned.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 11:14
If you're getting bombarded with messages from one user, you should take the issue to the mods. The person needs to be dealt with properly including, if necessary, being banned.
Second this. Let's kick this user from the forum if they are harassing someone. We will all be better off for it.
Felipe Baby!

PhillipM
PhillipM

I'd rather not go through that rigmarole - I've asked them to stop and they did nothing but keep sending messages, even since adding the autodelete rule I've had a few pings with more, so I've just disabled PM's globally. An individual block function would be much better though.

CMC
CMC

If you click on the user's profile, you have the option to ignore them. Though that may only prevent you from seeing posts they make, and may not have any effect on PMs.

PhillipM
PhillipM

CMC wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 16:10
If you click on the user's profile, you have the option to ignore them. Though that may only prevent you from seeing posts they make, and may not have any effect on PMs.
Yes, it doesn't affect PM's, I'd already ignored them and stop responding which is why they then started with the PM's. Anyway, as I said, I've blocked them PM's globally for now so that'll do me.

organic

That sounds rubbish. The harassing user should absolutely be dealt with. If they do it to you there's likely to be other users they will go on to do the same to. A proper block function should be introduced. Doesn't need to tell the blocked user it has happened either, to avoid drama:

It should act as the ignore function already does and prevent any PMs from getting through as well as pings/notifications/emails about possible contact, whilst not necessarily informing the blocked user of this being the case.

chrisc90

I dont see why you should have to 'suffer' because the person keeps sending uncalled for PM's. To me, sounds like a job for Steven to look into. As others have said, it may not just be a isolated case with just yourself. It effectively allows them to do the same to other users and behaviour like that should be investigated and 'nipped in the bud' to stop it form happening in future.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 16:17
CMC wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 16:10
Yes, it doesn't affect PM's, I'd already ignored them and stop responding which is why they then started with the PM's. Anyway, as I said, I've blocked them PM's globally for now so that'll do me.
You asking for a (sort of ) 'this is spam' button?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

PhillipM wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 13:39
I'd rather not go through that rigmarole - I've asked them to stop and they did nothing but keep sending messages, even since adding the autodelete rule I've had a few pings with more, so I've just disabled PM's globally. An individual block function would be much better though.
Hi @PhillipM, you really should raise a report to the Mods for this. If it is harassment it needs to be dealt with (others may be getting the same).

If you want to keep the report on the down-low, forward the messages to the mod-team and cover it with a bit of data (how long has it been occurring, how many similar messages you have had & your take on why it is unwelcome would be a good starting point).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Stu wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 13:19
PhillipM wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 13:39
Hi @PhillipM, you really should raise a report to the Mods for this. If it is harassment it needs to be dealt with (others may be getting the same).

If you want to keep the report on the down-low, forward the messages to the mod-team and cover it with a bit of data (how long has it been occurring, how many similar messages you have had & your take on why it is unwelcome would be a good starting point).
@Stu, @PhillipM shouldnt have to explain why its unwelcome. It should be enough they've been asked to stop but didn't.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I think it'd be a lot nicer if the 'ignore' button can be made to also just block PMs?

Saves the hassle of bothering the mods over stuff all the time then by everyone?