2025-2027 F1 tyre supplier

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ispano6

2025-2027 F1 tyre supplier

If there is already another thread please move.

It's great to see Bridgestone is going to be a major contender for the '25-27 tyre supplier bid.

I hope to see them win the bid but Pirelli I think is more or less the favorite given the continuity they offer.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/11025 ... ed-battle/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2025-2027 F1 tyre supplier

Which racing series do Bridgestone currently supply tyres to? Do they perform well?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wuzak
wuzak

ispano6 wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 09:49
If there is already another thread please move.

It's great to see Bridgestone is going to be a major contender for the '25-27 tyre supplier bid.

I hope to see them win the bid but Pirelli I think is more or less the favorite given the continuity they offer.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/11025 ... ed-battle/
Time for a change, IMO.

Given they beat Michelin a few cycles ago by having a bigger sponsorship deal with FOM, I would not be surprised if it is Pirelli again.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

In order to change, an alternative supplier has to be able to demonstrate that they can possibly do a better job. So what high-load, single-seater, series currently run Bridgestone slicks?

People hark back to the early 2000s but F1 was very different then. Very, very different.

And it's worth pointing out that once Bridgestone were required to have a tyre do an entire race distance, Alonso in the Michelin-shod Renault was able to beat Michael on the Bridgestones designed specifically for Ferrari.

If we have to change, I'd rather see Michelin but they're not really interested in F1 sole-supplier status IIRC.

wuzak
wuzak

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 18:07
In order to change, an alternative supplier has to be able to demonstrate that they can possibly do a better job. So what high-load, single-seater, series currently run Bridgestone slicks?

People hark back to the early 2000s but F1 was very different then. Very, very different.

And it's worth pointing out that once Bridgestone were required to have a tyre do an entire race distance, Alonso in the Michelin-shod Renault was able to beat Michael on the Bridgestones designed specifically for Ferrari.

If we have to change, I'd rather see Michelin but they're not really interested in F1 sole-supplier status IIRC.
Michelin are only interested if they can do it their way, and not some dictate on tyres wearing out quickly to spice up the show.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

wuzak wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 18:44
Just_a_fan wrote:

Michelin are only interested if they can do it their way, and not some dictate on tyres wearing out quickly to spice up the show.
Good for them, in that case. However, tyres that can be pushed for an entire stint won't mean the drivers are flat out - they'll be lifting and coasting for good chunks because of the fuel limits.

Baulz
Baulz

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 13:03
Which racing series do Bridgestone currently supply tyres to? Do they perform well?
Firestone in Indycar

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Baulz wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 21:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
Firestone in Indycar
Ah, yes, of course. So two dry tyres and a wet tyre. I could see that being a marketing thing for them and Liberty Media - linking Indy and F1 in the US market.

ispano6

In Japan, Bridgestone supplies tires for SUPER GT car races and All Japan Road Race Championship motorcycle races. Overseas, Bridgestone's Firestone brand is the exclusive tire supplier for the NTT INDYCAR® SERIES*2 in North America. Other overseas races supplied with Bridgestone tires include the Endurance World Championship (EWC), the world's foremost series of endurance motorcycle races organized by Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM). Bridgestone will continue to advance and refine its technologies through top-level races around the globe that require maximum tire performance.

Bridgestone also supports grassroots motorsports, including the All-Japan Gymkhana Championship and Mazda's grassroots motorsport races. Bridgestone also sponsors the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge,*3 a world-leading solar car race held in Australia, to support the ambitions of aspiring future engineers and help drive the evolution of mobility technologies.
https://www.bridgestone.com/corporate/n ... 40601.html

stephen

I think it won't be a bad thing if we have two brands as the suppliers of tyres for F1 teams like we had in the early 2000s. It would be a good thing to see another competition in F1.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Mr5in1

I agree a tyre competition isn't necessarily a bad thing but I can't see officials going for that.

I would just be happy for a manufacturer to come in and stamp their own rules and plan but that won't happen in F1

JordanMugen

stephen wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 11:48
I think it won't be a bad thing if we have two brands as the suppliers of tyres for F1 teams like we had in the early 2000s. It would be a good thing to see another competition in F1.
True!

The only concern is that the tyres are by far the most important component of the car. Having the better tyre overwhelms everything else -- power unit, aerodynamics -- and perhaps showmakers/rulemakers are not keen for the tyres to dominate the competitive order like that?

It would make rules like the reverse wind tunnel allocation and chassis & power unit budget cap somewhat redundant I guess, when one tyre is 2 seconds per lap faster than the other!

fethiyelee

Baulz wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 21:40
Just_a_fan wrote:
Firestone in Indycar
Thanks for information :wink:

Andi76
Andi76

Just_a_fan wrote:

I don't want to get really technical here due to time constraints (there are a few posts of mine that deal with tires, tire construction and how tires work), so let's be straight and honest - you can hardly do a worse job than Pirelli. Bridgestone, Michelin and Goodyear are the leading tire manufacturers in the world, and all three have always done a great job in the Formula. And also in comparison to Pirelli, who never stood a chance against Goodyear or Michelin. F1 has certainly changed, but that doesn't change the fact that Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear would be a far better technological partner for F1 than Pirelli. The Kevlar belt, praised by Pirelli in 2013 as hypermodern, was already used by Goodyear in the mid-90s and Bridgestone was already using Kevlar belts in 1997, just as Michelin was already using Kevlar belts in the 90s. Bridgestone and Michelin even developed a completely different technology in the early 2000s and Pirelli came up with Kevlar in 2013, which clearly shows how far behind Pirelli was (almost 20 years) in terms of racing tire technology. And neither Michelin nor Bridgestone have stood still since then. Sure, F1 may have changed since Bridgestone left in 2010. But that's why a technologically leading tire manufacturer remains a technologically leading tire manufacturer. And it's not as if 178 kg cars are an impossible technical challenge for one of these tire manufacturers. Pirelli continues to use an amalgam of radial and cross-ply tires. Michelin and Bridgestone already used pure radial tires in the 80s (Michelin) and the late 00s, which can withstand higher loads without problems. They use less ply-steer and lighter, flexible sidewalls what to an extent brings the tread with it under lateral load. The tread runs squarer and less heat is generated, around the shoulder in particular. With a cooler tread compounds can be softer....But anyway - without getting too technical here - a tire that is completely sensitive to the slightest temperature fluctuations and that shows a thermal degradation after only a few laps of pushing by the drivers that it almost falls apart - Formula 1 can't have changed that much that Michelin or Bridgestone don't do this much better from a standing start. Both are tire manufacturers that are leaders in terms of technology and have always produced extremely good tires in F1. Without exception. Whereas Pirelli - past and present - has never produced a really decent tire in F1. This has been the case from the 80s until today. And the old wives' tales of - F1 has changed so much because the cars are 180 kg heavier and the cars today produce more downforce can be safely forgotten. It is not a problem for either Bridgestone or Michelin to produce a tire construction that can withstand these loads. It's just a question of construction and design. And your example of Alonso's Michelins and Schumacher's Bridgestones is perfect to illustrate why Pirelli is worse. Because the reason why Bridgestone's tires weren't able to last a race distance back then is the same reason why Pirelli's tires usually don't even last 10 laps when a driver is driving at the limit - because the Bridgestone was more of a cross-ply tire than a pure radial tire. Such tires need a stiffer sidewall which leads to the tread heating up more. More heat in the tread increases wear. Simply explained. That's why Bridgestone couldn't do a race distance, just as the Pirelli couldn't do 10 consecutive laps at the absolute limit without falling apart. Bridgestone then incredibly quickly developed the technology of a complete radial racing tire (which is far more difficult than you might think), which clearly shows Bridgestone's competence and was already using pure radial tires in 2006/2007. Pirelli, as I said, still doesn't do that today, but still runs an amalgam of cross-ply and radial tires like Bridgestone did 20 years ago... which says it all. Bridgestone would definitely be the better partner by far and without any doubt. And you would finally see drivers pushing for more than just 1.5 laps at a time again...without their tires falling apart...

dialtone
dialtone

I don't know man... Radial tires are pretty much standard on the road since the 70s. Pirelli has been making radial tires for the past 60 years and exclusively those on the road. I don't question that they are maybe using a mix of technology in the current tire but it seems quite a stretch to imply they aren't capable or don't have the technology to do full radial tires for F1. Pirelli itself designed a radial tire for the Rally championship in the 70s.

Pirelli is asked to make tires with certain features by FOM, they are delivering on those features, other manufacturers don't want to be making tires that disintegrate in 15 laps, but that's the ask.