2024 season discussion.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

2024 season discussion.

Calendar has dropped for 2024 - does seem marginally better in terms of grouping tracks together

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Re: 2024 season discussion.

Still think 20 is the sweet spot but looks like they've figured out how to get 2 4-week breaks.

Stu

chrisc90 wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 16:55
https://i.ibb.co/D5CTdVT/IMG-0449.jpg

Calendar has dropped for 2024 - does seem marginally better in terms of grouping tracks together
Marginally is about right, flys in the ointment are Miami & Canada, a real shame that they can’t move one (or both), the carbon footprint change would be measurable.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

Calendar looks fine.

Notably Bahrain and Saudi races will be on Saturday apparently due to Ramadan dates

Saudi, Australia and Japan all close to the start of the season.. need to begin with good high-speed performance

vorticism

Needs Germany and France. What's their status? Would be good to have Nordic countries back as well. Last Swedish Grand Prix was in '78, the last Danish GP was in '62, and the last Norwegian GP was in '36 (!). Finland has yet to host one. Apparently a street race for Copenhagen was proposed in 2017.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2017/09/28/da ... rand-prix/
𓄀

JPower
JPower

Stu wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 19:01
chrisc90 wrote:

Marginally is about right, flys in the ointment are Miami & Canada, a real shame that they can’t move one (or both), the carbon footprint change would be measurable.
Miami would fit best right before Austin but I'm guessing they don't want to cannibalize sales. Also makes the back half of the season incredibly busy.

codetower

JPower wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 15:30
Stu wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Miami would fit best right before Austin but I'm guessing they don't want to cannibalize sales. Also makes the back half of the season incredibly busy.
Miami does seem a little oddly thrown in there. They could have swapped Canada and Imola and it might have made more sense.

I do like Japan in April, though. The Cherry Blossoms will be in bloom.

Chuckjr

Incredible. Only one month, January, between seasons. :shock:
Watching F1 since 1986.

JPower
JPower

Chuckjr wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 18:08
Incredible. Only one month, January, between seasons. :shock:
On a budget cap no less.

Fair play to the team owners and Liberty though, this is the classic American sports league way to pump valuations to the moon.

Mogster

codetower wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 17:54
JPower wrote:
Stu wrote:

Miami does seem a little oddly thrown in there. They could have swapped Canada and Imola and it might have made more sense.

There’s a really narrow weather window in Montreal summer when conditions are suitable for racing. Then there’s hurricane season in the NW Atlantic which runs from June-October which is a problem for Miami. If you go to either venue in those time periods there’s a real chance of weather related disruption or cancellation. If it’s bad enough the teams could end up stuck there for days.

If you had a US GP at Watkins or NY Port Imperial you could back to back that with Montreal in June quite easily I’d imagine.

codetower

Mogster wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 18:37
codetower wrote:
JPower wrote:

There’s a really narrow weather window in Montreal summer when conditions are suitable for racing. Then there’s hurricane season in the NW Atlantic which runs from June-October which is a problem for Miami. If you go to either venue in those time periods there’s a real chance of weather related disruption or cancellation. If it’s bad enough the teams could end up stuck there for days.

If you had a US GP at Watkins or NY Port Imperial you could back to back that with Montreal in June quite easily I’d imagine.
No no... you definitely can't do a Miami GP June thru October. Aside from hurricane weather, you have regular thunderstorms, and the heat would be unbearable. 32 degrees in Miami feels more like 42. Anyone who went to the first GP there knows what I mean.

I was thinking more along the lines of leaving Miami as is, first week of May, followed by Canada week after, then move to Imola followed by Monaco. I feel the travel itself would make more sense. Right now it's China, then North America, back to Europe for 2 races, then Back to NA for one, then BACK to Europe. Seems needless all the back and forth.

Big Tea

codetower wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 17:53
Mogster wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 18:37
codetower wrote:

No no... you definitely can't do a Miami GP June thru October. Aside from hurricane weather, you have regular thunderstorms, and the heat would be unbearable. 32 degrees in Miami feels more like 42. Anyone who went to the first GP there knows what I mean.

I was thinking more along the lines of leaving Miami as is, first week of May, followed by Canada week after, then move to Imola followed by Monaco. I feel the travel itself would make more sense. Right now it's China, then North America, back to Europe for 2 races, then Back to NA for one, then BACK to Europe. Seems needless all the back and forth.
Much of their kit is shipped from one venue to the other by sea, so will take longer than a week yo transport eve if all goes well. the items in (say) Japan are not the same as those used in Brazil, which would have been at sea for some time.

A clip on it here but not new
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

r85
r85

What are your predictions for the pecking order aside from Red Bull? I can see Ferrari higher up and McLaren in the mix for P2 if their car stays good this year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

r85 wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 19:41
What are your predictions for the pecking order aside from Red Bull? I can see Ferrari higher up and McLaren in the mix for P2 if their car stays good this year.
I am anticipating more good things from Mclaren. They have a lot more Wind tunnel hours than anyone else near the front. If they make use of that allocation the way Aston Martin did in 2022, they could make another substantial jump.

haza
haza

Also not only do McLaren have the remaining 25% of their upgrades coming at zandvort they have more major upgrades coming later in the year my guess is they’ll finish 2023 with essentially the baseline 2024 car. The winter break is a lot shorter this year than previous makes sense for McLaren to put themselves in a competitive position with a platform that works