Question: Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Xwang
Xwang

Question: Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?

Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Question: Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?

Tire pressure is not a reliable way of measuring wheel loads. Wheel force transducers are the proper way, but the light weight way is to strain gage lots of arms and put it on a test rig and apply x y and z forces at the contact patch and then do a bit of Multiple Input Multiple Output fitting to get the transfer function for each force with the various outputs of the strain gages.

Not my job so I don't know the gory details.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Question: Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?

Greg Locock wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 01:40
Tire pressure is not a reliable way of measuring wheel loads. Wheel force transducers are the proper way, but the light weight way is to strain gage lots of arms and put it on a test rig and apply x y and z forces at the contact patch and then do a bit of Multiple Input Multiple Output fitting to get the transfer function for each force with the various outputs of the strain gages.
Not my job so I don't know the gory details.
It was my job

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xwang wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 21:12
Is it possible to measure tyre load by knowing tyre pressure or with some hub sensor?
You can measure tire load with a load cell in the push rod assembly.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Yes, the other directions are of great interest as are the moments to some extent.

Xwang
Xwang

So if a governing body want to measure the vertical load on tyres using the same sensors for every car, the only way is using the sensor in the hub because to obtain the vertical load using stress sensors on suspension arms it would be necessary to tune the measurement for each different suspension arrangement of each car. Is it correct?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Trivially yes, because the motion ratio of the pushrod (etc) will be different for different cars. Of course that is easily solved by mandating a suspension design. Why would a governing body need this info?