2023 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2023 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 01 - 03

Merc is not draggy anymore, especially not with that new rear wing they got for Spa. Ferrari is also significantly less draggy than last season. RB has also shed some drag, and I'm expecting them to indtroduce a proper low DF wing for Monza/Vegas (that can be carried over to 2024). My bet for running order is RB->Ferrari/Merc close --> McLaren/AMR/Williams close.

organic

r85 wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 07:46
Sofa King wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 01:40
Does performance at Baku still have a correlation with Monza given the long straights? If so, then Ferrari could do well. Seems Williams still has the least drag, so would expect them to do well. I see the following order RB>FER>AM>MCL>WIL>MERC and then the rest who knows
That's a pretty wild take. I was thinking of an order like in Belgium: RB>FER>MERC>AM>MCL>...WIL...
Williams weren't good in Baku and Spa despie their low drag car. Second fastest in the race will still be at random as usual with a slight edge possibly going to Ferrari.
Williams: there were defects with the wheel covers at Belgium causing excessive degradation that ruined performance in the race

Last year already Williams were probably 4th force considering we did not see what Albon could do with it - de Vries was capable of competing with the likes of Merc.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

We saw with Mclaren in 2021 what's possible if your car suits a certain track characteristic. I'm not saying Williams will win the race, but they will be strong and you won't want to get stuck behind one of them.

Mclaren in particular will not want to be behind a Williams on track. Williams without DRS could be quicker than Mclaren with.

organic

C3-C5 tyres this weekend. Softer tyres for the Italian GP than we usually have.

As a result degradation and strategy may become more of a factor this weekend than it usually is at Monza. Pitlane losses are obviously large but with a hot day, a 1-stop may not be possible

Also the new tyre allocation this weekend: Hards must be run in Q1, mediums in Q2, softs Q3

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:C3-C5 tyres this weekend. Softer tyres for the Italian GP than we usually have.

As a result degradation and strategy may become more of a factor this weekend than it usually is at Monza. Pitlane losses are obviously large but with a hot day, a 1-stop may not be possible

Also the new tyre allocation this weekend: Hards must be run in Q1, mediums in Q2, softs Q3
New tires last longer though, so might be a wash and same as past years despite softer compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

organic

dialtone wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 21:55
organic wrote:C3-C5 tyres this weekend. Softer tyres for the Italian GP than we usually have.

New tires last longer though, so might be a wash and same as past years despite softer compound.

I feel like we have that notion because there have not been any warm races. Every race since Silverstone has had a cool track I think..

But yes the tyres seem to be lasting long time. If we get a hot race and this happens I'll believe it completely

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I feel like we have that notion because there have not been any warm races. Every race since Silverstone has had a cool track I think..

But yes the tyres seem to be lasting long time. If we get a hot race and this happens I'll believe it completely
You just jinxed it. Monza is going to rain as well now. Until Max loses we keep wet races.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
29 Aug 2023, 22:04
organic wrote:
dialtone wrote:

You just jinxed it. Monza is going to rain as well now. Until Max loses we keep wet races.
I would not wish this on Leclerc :wink: :lol:

mkay
mkay

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 20:52
Ironically, what seems to be about as equally common in the last 4-5 years of races at Monza is having the fastest car and not winning. That happened to Merc in '19, '20, and '21.

So the question is which version of the curse will strike this year? The one where the winner last year doesn't win this year, or the one where the fastest car doesn't win? RB certainly have many curses going against them for this weekend...those of historical precedent...and potentially the fan initiatiated... :wink:
Merc did not have the fastest car in 2019. Charles won pole position and could use his massive top speed advantage to defend for 50 laps.

Sieper

I think the Ferrari is a challenger this year too. They are fast on the straights this year.

SiLo

mkay wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 10:08
AR3-GP wrote:
Ironically, what seems to be about as equally common in the last 4-5 years of races at Monza is having the fastest car and not winning. That happened to Merc in '19, '20, and '21.

So the question is which version of the curse will strike this year? The one where the winner last year doesn't win this year, or the one where the fastest car doesn't win? RB certainly have many curses going against them for this weekend...those of historical precedent...and potentially the fan initiatiated... :wink:
Merc did not have the fastest car in 2019. Charles won pole position and could use his massive top speed advantage to defend for 50 laps.
I think the Merc was the faster race car but simply did not have the delta to overtake. It was a very interesting race to watch.
Felipe Baby!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SiLo wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 13:09
mkay wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 10:08
AR3-GP wrote:

I think the Merc was the faster race car but simply did not have the delta to overtake. It was a very interesting race to watch.
+1

Juzh

Ferrari will have a mini resurgence here. I'll have them in easy P2 behind Max. Leclerc possibly even in contention for pole, but race will be a different story. If Ver is in P1 at any point on track I think it's gg. Perez will have his hands full with other cars.

r85
r85

Juzh wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 20:08
Ferrari will have a mini resurgence here. I'll have them in easy P2 behind Max. Leclerc possibly even in contention for pole, but race will be a different story. If Ver is in P1 at any point on track I think it's gg. Perez will have his hands full with other cars.
RB will probably bring a medium downforce wing for better tire deg. It's an easy RB 1 - 2 and Ferrari vs Mercedes throughout the race.

What are the chances of Aston Martin carrying extra downforce this weekend?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

r85 wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 21:20
Juzh wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 20:08
RB will probably bring a medium downforce wing for better tire deg. It's an easy RB 1 - 2 and Ferrari vs Mercedes throughout the race.

What are the chances of Aston Martin carrying extra downforce this weekend?
Aston is actually quite good on the straights in their medium downforce spec. Better than Mercedes at least.