Aerodynamic Load On a Cornering F1 Car

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mzivtins
mzivtins

Aerodynamic Load On a Cornering F1 Car

Does the aerodynamic load remain balanced transversely across an F1 car when cornering?

What would the affect of wake turbulence be on an F1 car if another car was close by on the outside on a cornering phase.

Is the affect of side-drafting possible or plausible in F1 and can you apply the same on a straight line if you were to run the front wheel close to an opponents rear wheel?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Aerodynamic Load On a Cornering F1 Car

wake turbulence is the term for (eg wingtip) flow that detaches into the air and persists there
persistent turbulence in the air (whether natural or man-made) being important to aviation
WT is embodied in the regulation that surrounds aerial work

so WT is not the term for the various non-detaching flow field effects that remain local to a car or a 'plane .....
however numerous and interesting these would seem to be

Zynerji

mzivtins wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 16:13
Does the aerodynamic load remain balanced transversely across an F1 car when cornering?

What would the affect of wake turbulence be on an F1 car if another car was close by on the outside on a cornering phase.

Is the affect of side-drafting possible or plausible in F1 and can you apply the same on a straight line if you were to run the front wheel close to an opponents rear wheel?
I've recently been thinking about something similar, so would love to see some more answers here. My thought involved the possibility of the diffusor shape being changed (v-bottom) to invite more suspension movement during cornering and how to get away from the skateboard looking platform and towards a more compliant rear end (with vector differential).

mzivtins
mzivtins

Tommy Cookers wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 13:24
wake turbulence is the term for (eg wingtip) flow that detaches into the air and persists there
persistent turbulence in the air (whether natural or man-made) being important to aviation
WT is embodied in the regulation that surrounds aerial work

so WT is not the term for the various non-detaching flow field effects that remain local to a car or a 'plane .....
however numerous and interesting these would seem to be
If we explained it as a nearby car disrupting the vortices, what term would you use to describe? Is it an aerodynamic profile?

mzivtins
mzivtins

Zynerji wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 14:04
mzivtins wrote:

I've recently been thinking about something similar, so would love to see some more answers here. My thought involved the possibility of the diffusor shape being changed (v-bottom) to invite more suspension movement during cornering and how to get away from the skateboard looking platform and towards a more compliant rear end (with vector differential).
In simpler terms is this to enable some soft anti-roll across the rear axle? I kind of get what you mean, if the load is not balanced during cornering, could you design for that to maintain efficiency despite introducing more 'roll'?

Zynerji

mzivtins wrote:
27 Oct 2023, 15:08
Zynerji wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 14:04
mzivtins wrote:

In simpler terms is this to enable some soft anti-roll across the rear axle? I kind of get what you mean, if the load is not balanced during cornering, could you design for that to maintain efficiency despite introducing more 'roll'?
That was my thought. Max the mechanical grip through compliance, with an aero load increase during roll as the diffusor "leans" during the corner.