2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Image ... Image

WCC: 🏆 2010/2011/2012/2013/2022/2023

Team: Image Oracle Red Bull Racing
Base: Image Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Christian Horner
Technical director(s): Pierre Waché, Adrian Newey (Chief Technical Officer)

Race drivers:
1 Max Verstappen Image
11 Sergio Pérez Image

Chassis: RB20
Engine: Honda RBPT
Image . Image . Image

Image . Image
Last edited by Wouter on 03 Jan 2024, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Raymond Vermeulen: 'We are living a childhood dream'

Was it a gamble to extend the contract with Red Bull for so long (till 2028). Was there any discussion about that?
"No, no. You can see the drive in everything at Red Bull, whether you come into the car factory or the can department. With this team, there is no politics. They want one thing: to win. And with the Verstappens, that happens to be what it's all about. So they’re a good fit. But Red Bull needs the tools to do it. That's also why it started its own engine program. Of course, that's a statement to the outside world. Like: hello, guys, we are here to win. And so now they’re building their own engine. What are we then talking about? If an energy drink brand builds its own engine, I think that’s a statement. That was another indicator for us that we are at the right table."

Has there been interest from other teams for Max in recent years?
"Why would Max make a switch right now? We are not interested in that. But it's a small world, everyone and everything talks to each other, but we have a commitment until 2028. And as you can see, Max is in the position of a lifetime, he is driving without pressure. Teammates? Let ‘em come: everyone gets equal machinery. And everyone is free to try to beat Max, right?"

Do you see Max ever driving for another team?
"Let's worry about that in 2028. Maybe Max will be the first driver to start and stop at the same team. That could be another Verstappen story..."

A long interview with Raymond Vermeulen, Max his manager.
The Power of Dreams!

organic

AMuS interview with Max Verstappen

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... n-red-bull

Poor questions and as a result nothing riveting

ME4ME

“I think Sebastian was a more complete driver than Max when he came to our team,” Rocquelin said on Eurosport France’s Les Fous du Volant podcast.

“On a professional, technical, mediation level… he was trained at the [Michael] Schumacher school, he was his idol. He asked a lot of questions, took a lot of notes, and when he came up with us, he was very rigorous. It’s no coincidence that he won several titles. He was better prepared technically and mentally.

“Max had maybe more natural talent, that’s what he relied on more. But Sebastian was the most complete.

“Max has always been a ‘boss’. He has great self-confidence, knows what he wants, and is very straightforward.

“But I’ll be honest: Max is technically weak compared to other drivers we have worked with. I think he still has a lot of progress to make. He is a leader in his attitude, and in his results. But I think he can improve from a technical point of view and in the way he develops the car.”

“What has struck me most is that he has somehow lost that ‘desperate hunger’ he had last year,” said Rocquelin.
“He’s gained in maturity. He’s gained in consistency. Winning the championship has given him a lot of confidence, and he’s driving differently.

“You can’t necessarily talk about a single trigger. It’s a gradual thing, there have been several stages. He started in F1 very young, with a lot of ambition and not necessarily the maturity that comes with it. And he started with Toro Rosso, which maybe had less scope and experience.

“Then those steps started when he came to Red Bull. There was more confidence in the team, a good track record, he was closer to his goal. He immediately won a race with us, which allowed him to take a step forward. He gradually won more races and developed a bond with his engineers.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull- ... -rocquelin

Wouter

Newey reveals weakness of RB19: 'We chose it deliberately'

Why Red Bull considers qualifying less important

"Yes, that’s just the way we’ve developed the car. We’ve tried to prioritise race performance more than qualifying.
We made that decision back in ’21 when we were designing the car, to try to prioritise the race performance over one-lap performance,"
said Red Bull Racing's chief technical officer after Red Bull's successful season.

"It was a deliberate choice and we felt that if the overtaking was going to become easier then that presumably meant
qualifying performance would be slightly lower priority than in the past and it seems to have worked out."
This comes from The Race but I couldn't find it there.
Maybe in the "The Race" podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dMnXX--Hkg

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/255072/n ... ately.html
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Confirmed: Helmut Marko signs a new multi-year contract

A big surprise at Red Bull Racing. It has been confirmed to GPblog that Helmut Marko has signed a new contract with Red Bull GMBH -
the umbrella organisation. The Austrian (80) will stay with Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri for at least three more years.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/255279/c ... tract.html

---------------------------------------------------------

Also:

Long-serving Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has signed a new three-year contract to continue working
with the F1 Constructors’ Champions, PlanetF1.com understands

Helmut Marko extends Red Bull contract

Additional reporting by Thomas Maher

However, PlanetF1.com understands from a source close to the situation that Marko will remain involved for a further three years having agreed a three year extension with parent company Red Bull GmbH.

Speaking to Austrian outlet oe24 last month, Marko confirmed his future would be discussed over the winter with his previous deal due to expire at the conclusion of the 2024 season.

“There are different trends and variants,” he said. “The decisions are still open – including what I will do next. My current contract runs until the end of 2024.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-ma ... ull-future
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Ben Waterhouse on the painful experience of Singapore GP in 2023

“I think we suffered with instability, low-speed understeer and poor traction. As soon as you’re in that situation, you’re then struggling with tyre temperatures, and then any disturbance, whether it’s a gear shift, a bump... all these problems are compounded. And they are exacerbated by the fact the car’s not in the window where it needs to be.”

“We didn’t do a good enough job in being prepared and getting the car in the right window quickly enough. And then I don’t think we reacted strongly enough at the time to be able to understand the problems.
There were various reasons why we didn’t, but it’s what we’ve been through and have since debriefed in detail. So now we understand largely what happened, and I think we know what we would do differently.”

organic

Lawrence Barretto gives update on Red Bull's 2025 seat:

"As it stands, it is believed Ricciardo tops senior management’s list of suitable replacements"

"The Australian will need to get back to his very best this year and with many insiders feeling his AlphaTauri team will make a big step forward this year in terms of competitiveness, there’s a strong chance he’ll deliver."

Wouter

organic wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 17:48

"As it stands, it is believed Ricciardo tops senior management’s list of suitable replacements"

"The Australian will need to get back to his very best this year and with many insiders feeling his AlphaTauri team will make a big step forward this year in terms of competitiveness, there’s a strong chance he’ll deliver."
These are no facts, this is only what Barretto thinks.

[That’ll give Red Bull a good kind of headache, as a 2018-spec Ricciardo might be too strong an option to turn down.]

I don't agree with him.

He didn't deliver those few races what people expected from him. He isn't the racer from 2018 anymore.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... zTmqZ.html
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 17:58
organic wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 17:48

These are no facts, this is only what Barretto thinks.

[That’ll give Red Bull a good kind of headache, as a 2018-spec Ricciardo might be too strong an option to turn down.]

I don't agree with him.

He didn't deliver those few races what people expected from him. He isn't the racer from 2018 anymore.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... zTmqZ.html
Yes naturally it's just an opinion piece. But the paddock talks and usually there is some idea of what the real sentiments are

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think people are overestimating how quick Alpha Tauri will be. This isn't the first time that they have used RB suspension or tried to imitate RB. Still going to be P6 or P7 WCC.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 19:14
I think people are overestimating how quick Alpha Tauri will be. This isn't the first time that they have used RB suspension or tried to imitate RB. Still going to be P6 or P7 WCC.
Most likely not higher than P5, but it is notable that alpha tauri were competing with McLaren at the end of the season at Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi after being equally poor in the beginning of the season. So their trajectory was not dissimilar, although the rb19 suspension seemed to be the huge step for AT

For most of the season a good race for Tsunoda was P9 or P10 and the pace nowhere near the likes of even Alpine. At the end of the year that was the minimum expectation. This more competitive situation would allow Ricciardo to show off his talents better

mendis
mendis

Riccardo is well past his prime. I won't bet on him beating Tsunoda through the season. That's the minimum yardstick for him to be considered for RB seat. Horner's good feelings for him is the reason he is there and not because of his performances. Lawson would be a better bet to be put in the RB. Looking at the case if Piastri, it makes sense to put him in RB to measure him against Max rather than having a "well past sell by date" driver being beaten to pulp by Max. With Lawson you can atleast hope that he learns and improves as he is young. If Tsunoda shows good maturity in 2024, it would be good to give him a chance.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 19:19
AR3-GP wrote:
Most likely not higher than P5, but it is notable that alpha tauri were competing with McLaren at the end of the season at Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi after being equally poor in the beginning of the season. So their trajectory was not dissimilar, although the rb19 suspension seemed to be the huge step for AT

For most of the season a good race for Tsunoda was P9 or P10 and the pace nowhere near the likes of even Alpine. At the end of the year that was the minimum expectation. This more competitive situation would allow Ricciardo to show off his talents better
True but Alpha Tauri was bringing upgrades and developing very late into the year compared to everyone else. The "improvement" while real, is also inflated because the others were not bringing upgrades.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jan 2024, 21:54
organic wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 19:19
AR3-GP wrote:

True but Alpha Tauri was bringing upgrades and developing very late into the year compared to everyone else. The "improvement" while real, is also inflated because the others were not bringing upgrades.
That's true but I feel it is exaggerated. A lot of their changes were modifications of components or combining different elements together that already existed (in the floor region). AT with their in-season development had to have gained around 1s/lap which is more than many teams have gained since the start of 2022. AT are still on that very steep part of the development curve where like McLaren they suddenly understood how to find performance. Which is also part of the reason why they kept bringing parts - to reap the benefits of that rich development vein. But that doesn't mean that the steep curve won't continue into their winter development