2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 23:18
Of course amr looks bad in the end of '23 to end of '22 comparisons. They ran that trick wing at the end of '22 which was very efficient and in '23 they were massively hurt by TD018 (forced into many changes) and this also undermined their entire development trajectory causing their car to get slower over the course of '23. I think this comparison therefore falls at least equally as flat

Ignoring the aero changes from '22 to '23 is just ridiculous. They upped the minimum throat height of the diffuser as well as the floor edge changes. These changes both cost downforce and teams plus Tombazis have estimated that at about 0.5s. Some teams were probably losing more than that.

There's also the factor that most teams barely changed their chassis from '22 to '23 which they'll be able to completely redesign for '24 so there's likely 'free' laptime in optimization of layout in there. Also no rule changes and same tyres so everything is a known quantity meaning the engineers don't need to hedge bets and can be aggressive with the development
I wasn't just referring to AMR end of 22 compared to end of 23. I am talking several teams, not least RB/Ferrari/Merc. So no, I don't think that the comparison falls flat. The start of a new regulation set when basically all teams are running severely overweight cars is obviously going to see rapid improvement. Diminishing returns is a real thing and expecting teams to gain a second of lap time from the end of 23 to the beginning of 24 is very ambitious. For reference, a second of lap time would put most cars 3+ tenths ahead of what they did in 2021, that is with a close to 50kg heavier car. Seems rather optimistic in my book.

The aero changes are valid to bring up but then we should also consider the tyre changes which Pirelli claimed would be worth around a second.

organic

Fair enough it does apply to other teams. However Ferrari/Merc aren't good references as to what is possible in terms of development as in this regard they were severely lacking.

Also Pirelli are unreliable at best

On the topic of Dennis' quote, he says that unless Merc/Ferrari have found 1s overnight then RB will win the championship. Was he implying that they need to gain more than 1s over the winter, or an extra 1s on top of the usual amount of season-to-season development (0.5-1s). If it's the latter then a scary claim

-wkst-
-wkst-

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 22:16
DoctorRadio wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 21:48
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 21:44

Nobody said Ferrari found 1 second. All sources says 0.6-0.7 sec. At Aston they talking 1sec+ and at Mercedes.
I wasn’t talking about Ferrari (BTW for them it’s reported 7 tenths and wouldn’t be bad at all), on Aston and Mercedes I didn’t read any number for them, would you provide the sources for them?
Thanks.
Of course they don't talking about numbers, but we know how much they was jump last year. So it was 1sec+ and 2023 early December Aston said they don't think os possible the same jump. At 2024 January Aston says the same jump is very possible. So if they just change mind and say so ,then they achieved it . Also coming out news about "Alonso cooking again",and Crack can't wait "nail biting " what other teams did at winter. Just have to read between the lines...
I mean AMR has little to do in the RB thread, so sorry for posting here, but what you write is just commenting the headlines of articles without context or knowledge of the time the articles were really published.

McCullough for example only said that such a jump from 22 to 23 is not possible again, because they would be well ahead of RBR in that case (coming from 7th in constructors 2022 and being suddenly top3).

Moreover is wasn't january when Fallows talked to speedcafe that they could make "another big step" (in performance, not places) - the article was first published at 26.12.2023.

Krack was "nail biting" what oters do on their own website at 12.12.2023. Context was neither positive nor negative, just a TP who wants to know what others teams found...

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 23:45
On the topic of Dennis' quote, he says that unless Merc/Ferrari have found 1s overnight then RB will win the championship. Was he implying that they need to gain more than 1s over the winter, or an extra 1s on top of the usual amount of season-to-season development (0.5-1s). If it's the latter then a scary claim
Good point. I'm guessing probably the former since the implications of the latter would be insane. RB's advantage at the end of 23 was what, around 3-4 tenths with a bias towards race trim? So if they add 6-7 tenths (reasonable given the time they had to develop RB20) it would mean the other teams need a solid second to be competitive.

organic

Season launch on 15th Feb. Quite late so might see actual car (yes I'm ready to be hurt by a showcar again)

chrisc90

Depends if RB are feeling generous enough to give people a extra week of time to analyse their 2024 bringings.

Ill be shocked if its the real deal mind too!

kediown

:lol: I'm not even expecting a bigfoot picture of RB20 from shakedown

mendis
mendis

They can show the RB19 in launch and do the secret shakedown of RB20 and then release the RB19 shakedown videos from last year which they never released. Job done.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Zero chance of any real car on the 15th :lol: . RB always have something to hide.

organic

Rumours are that the rb20 could be renamed to DM01 in memory of Mateschitz. We'll see.

Sieper

That would be cool! I hope they do it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ominous :wink:

Wouter

organic wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 22:29
Rumours are that the rb20 could be renamed to DM01 in memory of Mateschitz. We'll see.
Only one rumour on Twitter which Mathias Brunner deleted and someone put it on Reddit.
Maybe it is fake or he said to much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ng_f1_car/

This was deleted:

The 2024 Red Bull Racing F1 car will be called DM01, to honor «Mr. Red Bull» Dietrich Mateschitz https://t.co/o7ZODGPlIb
— Mathias Brunner (@Mathiasbrunner6)January 15, 2024

F1 journalist from Switzerland https://twitter.com/Mathiasbrunner6
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Red Bull sim driver Jake Dennis recently revealed the RB20 has impressed him in the simulator, telling the UK’s Mirror that: “We’ve got an extremely fast race car again at the Red Bull team.

“I would expect us to become Champions again unless someone like Ferrari or Mercedes somehow manages to find about a second [per lap] overnight. I think it’s going to be quite a dull season in Formula 1 with Max probably dominating.

“I’d be lying if I said we didn’t switch our attention to the 2024 car quite quickly. We didn’t do any development on the 2023 car after Singapore.”

But Horner wouldn’t be drawn on whether he shares the same enthusiasm for the sim data, explaining:
“[The sim drivers] are saying it’s evolution, not revolution – it’s a simulator, and still a virtual world.

“So, of course, you want a correlation between track and simulator, which has tended to be reasonable over the last couple of years.

“Hopefully, we’re making progress. But the stopwatch never lies and we’ll only see when we get to the track.”
Given the data he’s seeing now, just how confident is Horner feeling compared to this time last year when he could see the data for RB19 filtering through?

“Only time will tell, I mean, the RB19 is the most successful car in the history of Formula 1, so [RB20] has got big shoes to fill,” he said.

“But there are always things that you’re learning in this business.

“RB19 still had elements that we could improve and the team have been working hard to do that and address that over the winter in the design phase.”

Is it feasible yet to hazard a guess at just how much time Red Bull have gained with the new car? “I think it’s impossible to quantify.

“Let’s see when we go to the track. It’s all meaningless if somebody has made a leapfrog and you’re three-tenths behind. It’s all subjective at this time of year.“I’m sure that everybody is focused on trying to beat us this year, and why wouldn’t they be? We can only focus on ourselves, the factory is very busy at the moment as we gear up for a big year with a record number of available events and races.”
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Wouter wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 22:58
organic wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 22:29
Only one rumour on Twitter which Mathias Brunner deleted and someone put it on Reddit.
Maybe it is fake or he said to much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ng_f1_car/

This was deleted:

The 2024 Red Bull Racing F1 car will be called DM01, to honor «Mr. Red Bull» Dietrich Mateschitz https://t.co/o7ZODGPlIb
— Mathias Brunner (@Mathiasbrunner6)January 15, 2024

F1 journalist from Switzerland https://twitter.com/Mathiasbrunner6
He's a journalist for a company that's affiliated with RB

https://www.redbullmediahouse.com/en/ne ... eek-com/de