2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:03
Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:01
AR3-GP wrote:
05 May 2024, 23:53
Why does the pace relative to Max matter? Mclaren just put a beating on everyone after a big upgrade package with barely any practice time. Being close to 2nd place isn't really the goal is it? Piastri drove around Leclerc when Mclaren didn't have any straight line speed and Leclerc said dirty air was bad. Lando was faster on 25+ lap old mediums than Leclerc was on new hards.

Mclaren was the reference and if Lando started on pole, it would have been as dominant as some of Max's wins.
Mate, you make some really good arguments very often, but when you try to provoke you completely downgrade yourself. Please don't do that, it's not worth it :)
I don't get your point. Mclaren was in another world. The both of us have to accept this. The performance of Red Bull and Ferrari wasn't good enough here. That was going to be 20 seconds minimum beating if Norris started on pole. At least Ferrari have a major upgrade package to look forward to.
Don't be disingenuous. Comparing Charles after SC to Norris after SC is quite dumb considering how much newer Lando's tyres were. Sainz after passing Piastri was pretty much on Norris's pace.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:13
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Mate, you make some really good arguments very often, but when you try to provoke you completely downgrade yourself. Please don't do that, it's not worth it :)
I don't get your point. Mclaren was in another world. The both of us have to accept this. The performance of Red Bull and Ferrari wasn't good enough here. That was going to be 20 seconds minimum beating if Norris started on pole. At least Ferrari have a major upgrade package to look forward to.
Don't be disingenuous. Comparing Charles after SC to Norris after SC is quite dumb considering how much newer Lando's tyres were. Sainz after passing Piastri was pretty much on Norris's pace.
I'm talking about before the SC though. Don't look at the positions before the SC. Norris had a bad start and lost many positions. Look at his laptimes. Norris on 20+ lap old medium tires was quicker than everyone else who had new hards including Verstappen, Perez, Leclerc Piastri, you name it. He was quicker.

That says it all what Mclaren had today.

Vanja #66

WCC points after the first 6 races:

2017 - 196

2022- 179

2024 - 189

The strong form in 2024 continues, the biggest difference this season compared to 2022 so far was Sainz' early form and many unforced errors he made. From now on, hopefully both drivers remain on it and keep improving the WCC points. McLaren is very strong, Imola updates must deliver. Though let's not forget who was in Maranello this winter when all hand were on deck for those updates :wink:

It's only close to 2017 results because of Sprint points, it is still ridiculous that there's even a remote resemblence with the beast that SF70 was. Both drivers and the whole team are delivering consistently and it's always a pleasure to see this. Like I said, today there were a lot of small errors leading to a big consequence, but the penalty was minimised by excellent performanve from Leclerc and Sainz and that's always important.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

I think for sure though that this Red Bull is not unbeatable like last season. When we were able to heat up the tyres reasonably, we were matching Max. Bodes well for an upgrade which would bring pure performance hopefully.

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
05 May 2024, 23:53
Why does the pace relative to Max matter? Mclaren just put a beating on everyone after a big upgrade package with barely any practice time. Being close to 2nd place isn't really the goal is it? Piastri drove around Leclerc when Mclaren didn't have any straight line speed and Leclerc said dirty air was bad. Lando was faster on 25+ lap old mediums than Leclerc was on new hards.

Mclaren was the reference and if Lando started on pole, it would have been as dominant as some of Max's wins.
Norris didn't manage to overtake Perez on track and after Perez went into pits he was not really closing the gap to Sainz. It was only after the SC on new hards when he was faster than the rest, but he could have not gotten any more lucky pitting for new hards and restarting from P1. The tires hate to be put through a second heat cycle after cooling down which happened to everyone's tires behind Norris.
Last edited by LM10 on 06 May 2024, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Will be interesting to see the extent of the upgrades. Slow corners and tyre warmup are definitely the biggest issue RN. Looking at the telemetry vs VER today, on most laps the Ferrari was sig faster until end of S2 where it was loosing around 2/10s every lap, obviously this was being offset by other areas which were stronger for the Ferrari, so its horses for courses. I think Landos laps post SC are outliers vs Charles as his tyres were that much fresher and didn’t have to go through a second heat cycle, but in essence his laps were as strong as Charles on all corners, without the 2/10s loss at end of S2

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:10
Fakepivot wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:07
why was Charles taking the curb at the turn 16? I felt it compromised his exit speed there. anyway, Another ok weekend for Ferrari they scored good points and both of the driver again within one place other. Pressure will be high in Maranello to deliver a good upgrade now that McLaren has overshot or equaled them..
It's a bit early to call off RedBull because clearly something wasn't working for them here. China was very dominant.
But if we assume the direct followers (Ferrari and McLaren) are getting closer, that upgrade could catapult Ferrari to the lead team.

But it all depends on how much RedBull's upgrades bring for them. Did that 0.250s number on Ferrari's upgrades come from a reliable source?
Ferrari must stop talking and start producing results. Today McLaren gave them a bitter lesson. On the hand Ferrari keeping on saying we're quite there, we're closing the gap, we are maximing the car as it is, we are optimizing tyre behavior and so on. On the other McLaren silent and striving to deliver. And they delivered, surprising everyone. I fear more and more my gut feeling was right: on the one hand a luxury brand full of PRs and marketing agents, on the other hand a committed racing.team.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:26
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Norris didn't manage to overtake Perez on track and after Perez went into pits he was not really closing the gap to Sainz. It was only after the SC on new hards when he was clearly faster than the rest, but he could have not gotten any more lucky pitting for new hards and restarting from P1. The tires hate to be put through a second heat cycle after cooling down which happened to everyone's tires behind Norris.
Not being able to overtake is a different matter. It's because of the circuit. I'm talking about Norris's pace in free air compared to everyone else in free air and that's what the teams care about too.

And by the way, Norris was eating Sainz alive after Perez pitted. I'm not sure what data you found. Norris was taking 3-4 tenths a lap from lap 19-26 when Sainz pitted, and then still going faster than Sainz,Leclerc, Verstappen by 1-2 tenths when those guys put on new hard tires. No one was talking about it in the race thread before the safety car. Only I made a post when I saw the laptimes:
AR3-GP wrote:
05 May 2024, 22:43
Norris's pace is unreal.

LM10
LM10

AmateurDriver wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:30
Emag wrote:
Fakepivot wrote:
why was Charles taking the curb at the turn 16? I felt it compromised his exit speed there. anyway, Another ok weekend for Ferrari they scored good points and both of the driver again within one place other. Pressure will be high in Maranello to deliver a good upgrade now that McLaren has overshot or equaled them..
It's a bit early to call off RedBull because clearly something wasn't working for them here. China was very dominant.
But if we assume the direct followers (Ferrari and McLaren) are getting closer, that upgrade could catapult Ferrari to the lead team.

But it all depends on how much RedBull's upgrades bring for them. Did that 0.250s number on Ferrari's upgrades come from a reliable source?
Ferrari must stop talking and start producing results. Today McLaren gave them a bitter lesson. On the hand Ferrari keeping on saying we're quite there, we're closing the gap, we are maximing the car as it is, we are optimizing tyre behavior and so on. On the other McLaren silent and striving to deliver. And they delivered, surprising everyone. I fear more and more my gut feeling was right: on the one hand a luxury brand full of PRs and marketing agents, on the other hand a committed racing.team.
What are you on about? What luxury brand? What PR? Ferrari is F1. And they'll bring their upgrade package to Imola. But I doubt that's of any interest for you.

scuderiabrandon

AmateurDriver wrote:
Emag wrote:
Fakepivot wrote:

Mclaren gave them a bitter lesson? Leclerc was the biggest loser with BOTH the VSC/SC, Norris the bigger winner with the safety car. If everyone is matched on pace, it's lady luck or strategy that decides your race. Secondly they pretty much brought a modern day B-spec car here if you don't recall.

Talking about being surprised, literally no one was surprised by them after seeing their pace on Friday.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:38
AmateurDriver wrote:
Emag wrote:

Mclaren gave them a bitter lesson? Leclerc was the biggest loser with BOTH the VSC/SC, Norris the bigger winner with the safety car. If everyone is matched on pace, it's lady luck or strategy that decides your race. Secondly they pretty much brought a modern day B-spec car here if you don't recall.

Talking about being surprised, literally no one was surprised by them after seeing their pace on Friday.
Small point, but I don't think the VSC impacted any of the leaders. They all passed the pit entry when it came out, and it was green before they finished the lap.

ringo

I think the heat and the new hard tyres exagerated Norris dominance today.
The Mclaren car is much improved. Maybe ahead of Ferrari now. But not a lot.
Piastri was strong in the early phases.

Ferrari did well not to fade away. No answer for Max but he was not dropping Leclerc.
Bodes well!
For Sure!!

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:18
WCC points after the first 6 races:

2017 - 196

2022- 179

2024 - 189

The strong form in 2024 continues, the biggest difference this season compared to 2022 so far was Sainz' early form and many unforced errors he made. From now on, hopefully both drivers remain on it and keep improving the WCC points. McLaren is very strong, Imola updates must deliver. Though let's not forget who was in Maranello this winter when all hand were on deck for those updates :wink:

It's only close to 2017 results because of Sprint points, it is still ridiculous that there's even a remote resemblence with the beast that SF70 was. Both drivers and the whole team are delivering consistently and it's always a pleasure to see this. Like I said, today there were a lot of small errors leading to a big consequence, but the penalty was minimised by excellent performanve from Leclerc and Sainz and that's always important.
Yeah, the team has scored well with a car that’s been more or less the second force - sometimes the third - and a lot closer to the ultimate pace.

Before the season started, we heard that Ferrari would take a methodical approach, first understand the base level care and only then determine the development path. Some could say that was conservative but ultimate probably wise given the missteps taken last year.

All of which means that the success of their approach hinges entirely on the Imola upgrade. If this is really “B-spec” (whatever that actually means but for all intents and purposes just ‘a very big step’) then scoring as strongly as they have so far will set them up fantastically well for the rest of the year. Stella called the McLaren update something similar to what you would think of as a B-spec and we can see the size of the step taken by them. Ferrari are coming from less far back - both in baseline performance (still pretty close today with an unchanged car) and points - and so any kind of significant step forward will really cement the position of Red Bull fighters.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:41
scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:38
AmateurDriver wrote:

Small point, but I don't think the VSC impacted any of the leaders. They all passed the pit entry when it came out, and it was green before they finished the lap.
It helped them prolong the first stint I think since their tyres all got to cool off(similar to Jeddah 2022 with Max)

Cs98
Cs98

LM10 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:26
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Norris didn't manage to overtake Perez on track and after Perez went into pits he was not really closing the gap to Sainz. It was only after the SC on new hards when he was faster than the rest, but he could have not gotten any more lucky pitting for new hards and restarting from P1. The tires hate to be put through a second heat cycle after cooling down which happened to everyone's tires behind Norris.
? Lando's gap was 5 seconds to Sainz when Perez pitted, it was 1,7 seconds when Sainz pitted. He was closing him down. And Lando stayed out and kept setting rapid lap times for several laps after Sainz pitted too.