2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yooogurt

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AmateurDriver wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:33
Montezemolo was key to Schumi-era greatness. He was as passionate as Enzo and has always been a Ferrari man and a racer at heart. On the other hand, if you were italian you'd know one has to expect nothing good (and nothing new) coming from the Agnelli side.
On the one hand maybe, but on the other hand Luca Di stayed at the helm and made decisions that did not allow the success to continue (just let Ross be a TP cmon :cry: ) I think the main ingredients for success in that era were still Schumacher, Todt, Brawn and Byrne. And now we had some similar happening, just the thought of Byrne and Newey helping to build a 2026 car im very excited.
FORZA FERRARI!

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

yooogurt wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:49
AmateurDriver wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:33
Montezemolo was key to Schumi-era greatness. He was as passionate as Enzo and has always been a Ferrari man and a racer at heart. On the other hand, if you were italian you'd know one has to expect nothing good (and nothing new) coming from the Agnelli side.
On the one hand maybe, but on the other hand Luca Di stayed at the helm and made decisions that did not allow the success to continue (just let Ross be a TP cmon :cry: ) I think the main ingredients for success in that era were still Schumacher, Todt, Brawn and Byrne. And now we hand some similar happening, just the thought of Byrne and Newey helping to build a car im very excited.
A few words only, since I have been warned not to dig too much into the implications of Agnelli/Elkann controlling Ferrari (and I'm aligning to moderator's request even though I don't agree with him). Marchionne (let alone Elkann) would NEVER strive (and pay) to snatch Brown Byrne Schumi from the competition.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

I liked Xavi :(

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

dialtone wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:30
yooogurt wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:05
In the final stint on Hards, Norris wasn't really pushing.
There is no way that Norris did not push not only in last stint, even at the end stint when the first victory in F1 was looming, more than sure that he push on all hundred to get the maximum possible gap in case of a surprising vsc at the end.
I agree. Norris was pushing until the last 4-5 laps.

https://f1pace.com/p/2024-miami-gp-was- ... to-damage/

We’re not even the only one that agree on this topic, that’s an article that also shares the same:
I’m sure some people will say that the gap wasn’t representative in S2 because Lando could’ve been saving the tires just to avoid any major surprises, but I find that unlikely. Norris kept doing strong lap after strong lap, and it wasn’t until the last few laps that it was clear that Max wasn’t going to get to him. You can even see how from laps 46 to 51 Max picked up the pace and tried to close the gap, but was unable to.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... r1I2pJx71G

More importantly, it was Norris himself who said that he pushed for the whole last stint just for the sake of not seeing Max in his mirrors at the SF line:

But I was pushing. I wanted to go for a fastest lap on the last lap. But I was imagining Andrea on the pit wall, like, ‘no, Lando, please’. So, yeah, he was talking to me, but I just thought then just to take it home and take it easy. But until then, you know, I wanted to pull away, and I didn't want Max in the picture when I was over the line, and I don't think he was. So that was job done. So happy with that.

Paa

BanMeToo wrote:
09 May 2024, 20:07
Why. Question.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Paa wrote:
09 May 2024, 20:11
BanMeToo wrote:
Why. Question.
Ok, I come back to you

yooogurt

AmateurDriver wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:58
A few words only, since I have been warned not to dig too much into the implications of Agnelli/Elkann controlling Ferrari (and I'm aligning to moderator's request even though I don't agree with him). Marchionne (let alone Elkann) would NEVER strive (and pay) to snatch Brown Byrne Schumi from the competition.
Marchionne was not good at all, politically we were weaker than ever, and Toto was just destroying us in FIA offices. Now in addition to a great team we need political will for sure, without it we can get an analog of TD39 and no Newey will not save us.
Just to remind you of a recent interview with Modesto Menabue former Ferrari motorist, work over 40 years in the team:

We talked about the victories of 2019. However, in 2020, the engine scandal happened...

"At Ferrari, you can't go beyond legality. Maranello is a sieve, everyone says. This engine, born from the 2019 engine, was like a Mercedes engine. But if politically you are worth zero...".
FORZA FERRARI!

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Imagine the scenes if Charles wins his first race with the new race engineer.

I remember reading about how Max and GP hit it off instantly as they started with a win.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Sphere3758 wrote:
09 May 2024, 20:18
Imagine the scenes if Charles wins his first race with the new race engineer.

I remember reading about how Max and GP hit it off instantly as they started with a win.
more likely his new race engineer will forget to mention faster car behind doing a push lap in qualy and Charles gets grid penalty :D.. but his new race engineer is familiar and not a total new person, and he was Charles performance engineer, we would often see him in the tv as well. hope he is up for the task.

Space-heat
Space-heat

BanMeToo wrote:
I have watch a fair amount (~80%) of the races since the start of 2022 from Charles onboard (quali and FPs too, thx multiviewer) and I thought Xavi had improved hugely in the last 2 years. Him and Charles had worked out traffic really well (mostly). I don't watch other onboard so maybe I was just impressed in the improvement and not the absolute performance.

We saw what just happened with Bottas in Miami, please no impeding with the new 2.0 spec, would be classic.

Edit: a particular favorite moment was the Austin Pole, where Xavi nearly gave Charles a heart attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEl4YhLWGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkK9eCta4Vc - Bonus Vegas post pole

Sevach
Sevach

Vinlarr89 wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:15
Xyz22 wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:07

New race engineer for Charles.
Long overdue, although I will miss the weekly “xavi don’t talk to me in the corners” routine
It needed to happen, but it's such great comedy...
We won't be checking :oops:

bananapeel23

If we're expecting a performance gain of anywhere from 0.25 to 0.4 tenths. Where would that leave Ferrari? Does anyone have strategy and outlier-adjusted race pace data from previous GPs to compare against? I keep seeing 2 tenths this, 4 tenths that. Does that translate to beating Red Bull (Verstappen) at any of the previous races, or does it simply bring Ferrari very, very close to them? What has the average pace difference between Verstappen and the best Ferrari been at any given race? I know the difference at Miami was negligible, but Miami was also a massive outlier. How much would it take to surpass Verstappen at say, Japan or Jeddah?

I know Red Bull are also bringing some decent upgrades at Imola, but could we reasonably expect Ferrari to actually become regular contender for race wins if the improvement predictions from Ferrari turn out to be true? Could they at least be expected to be favourite at certain tracks? Is it just a classic case of hot air and Ferrari hype trains?

I know this question isn't that technical in nature, but I'd love to see the data, which (I think?) qualifies it for this thread?

Vanja #66

AmateurDriver wrote:
09 May 2024, 19:58
I'm not a Moderator, those guys post very rarely and have aquamarine (blue green) username colour. The topic is Ferrari team 2024, there are many off topic posts reported and deleted regularly. Us older members do what we can to help Moderators and we care to keep team and car topics as clean as possible, so that fans and members can enjoy meaningful content and feel encouraged to engage even more.

As for your post, the present and future Ferrari team are formed based on a lot of strong names in every department. The biggest names are Hamilton and almost certainly Newey - snatched from direct competitors, while all of the less known personnel brought last year from Red Bull and Mercedes are already contributing, obvious from results. So much about Elkann. Marchione's all-Italian vision was flawed, but ultimately could have resulted in titles if some races went differently - most of the ones going wrong were down to Seb failing under pressure and Arrivabene deciding against any team orders.

Montezemolo brought Todt after failed attempt with Lombardi and Barnard. Todt brought Schumi, Schumi pulled Brawn and Byrne with him. Before the success of 2000s came, there was a lot of expectations and tensions were high. Montezemolo threatend to some staff, Todt included. Brawn only said it once - if Todt leaves, I leave. Schumi was of the same opinion. Montezemolo had to let them shape Ferrari in their vision, not his.

Once Todt, Byrne and Brawn left, Montezemolo started messing with the team and making all sorts of changes. Most of those changes are still felt today (some things concerning aero development, tyre department was disbanded some time in 2008-09, strategy department was run differently etc) while some changes have only gotten back to required level recently (such as simulation tools, including driving simulator). Andi76 will happily share more, you can also look at his previous posts and you can learn a lot about that period.

search.php?author_id=43084&sr=posts
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 09 May 2024, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

bananapeel23 wrote:
09 May 2024, 21:12
If we're expecting a performance gain of anywhere from 0.25 to 0.4 tenths. Where would that leave Ferrari? Does anyone have strategy and outlier-adjusted race pace data from previous GPs to compare against? I keep seeing 2 tenths this, 4 tenths that. Does that translate to beating Red Bull (Verstappen) at any of the previous races, or does it simply bring Ferrari very, very close to them? What has the average pace difference between Verstappen and the best Ferrari been at any given race? I know the difference at Miami was negligible, but Miami was also a massive outlier. How much would it take to surpass Verstappen at say, Japan or Jeddah?

I know Red Bull are also bringing some decent upgrades at Imola, but could we reasonably expect Ferrari to actually become regular contender for race wins if the improvement predictions from Ferrari turn out to be true? Could they at least be expected to be favourite at certain tracks? Is it just a classic case of hot air and Ferrari hype trains?

I know this question isn't that technical in nature, but I'd love to see the data, which (I think?) qualifies it for this thread?
China was the worst race and Australia was the best race for Ferrari. Everywhere else, they have been behind RedBull but by less than 0.4s per lap on average.

If the update delivers these numbers, it could mean that Ferrari moves ahead of RedBull.

Cs98
Cs98

bananapeel23 wrote:
09 May 2024, 21:12

With current RB spec. Jeddah, 3-4 tenths. Japan, 4-5 tenths. China, 7-8 tenths.