2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Saykas
Saykas

2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Round 2 in Argentina got cancelled so here is the new calendar

Saykas
Saykas

Re: 2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Shakedown has started. Some spicy updates by the teams.

Stefan Bradl Honda

Dani Pedrosa KTM

Michele Pirro Ducati

Lorenzo Savadori Aprillia

Saykas
Saykas

Aprillia from the rear

KTM front fender mounted wing

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

They have gone all in on the aero this year eh? The front fender wing is genius, though I thought there were regs to prevent such abominations!

Am looking forwards to the season - it will be superb I think - a final hurrah of nonsense (almost like 2008 F1 - with flicks, wings and the like everywhere)

Thanks for sharing these - I get a pop up from work IT if I visit Crash to get some footage :o
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

AMG.Tzan

KTM is gonna become the next aero powerhouse! They’re developing new aero stuff like crazy and their ideas look so different sometimes!

Aprilia’s aero it the nicest I think! It looks so slick! Like a Batmobile…but they lack rider talent there!

Honda at last developing a proper aero bike for the first time! How ironic that they’ve started developing such stuff right after Marquez left! But anyway I don’t expect them to make a huge jump in performance!

Yamaha looks like their old self! No aero at all! A bike still not designed based on aero surfaces…in realit this bike has been the same with small additions every time since Rossi back in 2005 :lol: :lol:

And yeah Ducati! I expect them to bring something big next week! Right now their bike doesn’t seem to have big updates…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

F1NAC

I'm not following motoGP but seeing stuff like this makes me wonder how on Earth can those flaps be permitted, sticking out like that? I get those enclosed contours but a winglet sticking out like that can harm other riders no?

https://imgur.com/tYkYVdE

Farnborough
Farnborough

It's going to be an interesting season certainly with the rider changes etc.

That new Honda, for the first time in ages, appears to have much, much more purpose to it as seen at initial testing last year and currently.

They may have finally jumped onto a more contemporary basis with this one. Think they've certainly missed having Dani Pedrosa as input since his retirement, such a light weight with then necessary characteristic of pushing bike design into something that can be applied by relatively small rider, rather than technique brutality to make it comply.

The others moved much further ahead in understanding what the chassis can be made to do with aero input for some time. This Honda looks to be closer to parity, which we're about to find out if its effective.

etusch

From what I've read from crash.net news, Honda still has issues with acceleration when outing corner but much better bike compared to last year. If what Zarco said is true, Honda cacth the level of last years winning performance. Of course rivals also will be improved and this leave them still behind but not in a situation as bad as last season. Maybe they will be there when they improved acceleration with the new engines and electronics.
By the way Zarco said he liked more the new prototype rather than improved version of jerez post season test.
Johann Zarco: 2024 Honda “at least 0.7s quicker, big admiration for Marc Marquez”

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/10440 ... rc-marquez

Cuky

F1NAC wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 09:52
I'm not following motoGP but seeing stuff like this makes me wonder how on Earth can those flaps be permitted, sticking out like that? I get those enclosed contours but a winglet sticking out like that can harm other riders no?

https://imgur.com/tYkYVdE
As far as I understand it all the little wings have minimum thicknesses described in rules so that they are not as dangerous as they were when Ducati brought them in first in 2015-16. But wings were usually on the nose and side fairings so there are rules governing how they can be mounted and that they have to be shaped in a certain way to not pose the threat.

Rear wings are not regulated at all. Basically, they have a maximum dimension defined for "seat unit" and if you can fit it inside those dimensions you can have it on the bike. I would guess same is the case for front mudguard and that is why KTM is able to have small wing there.

etusch

Today started fast.
What an opening 90 minutes to Day 2 that was. In October 2022, Jorge Martin became the first man to set a 1:57 lap of Sepang. Fast forward 18 months, the top 11 riders are now all in the 1:57s. All five factories are inside a top ten covered by only 0.615 seconds. MotoGP™ is well and truly back.

FrukostScones

MotoGP:
Marquez, Martin, Bagnaia, Bestia, Binder
Best Honda: Zarco
Moto2: Aldeguer, 9 Others
Moto3: Holgado, Alonso, Ortola, Rueda, 1 Leopard
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AMG.Tzan

0,5 covering the Top 10! Marc Márquez does a lap 0,17 slower and ends up only 6th! :wtf:

This how a world class championship should look like! It’s about time f1 took notes…

Farnborough
Farnborough

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 15:02
0,5 covering the Top 10! Marc Márquez does a lap 0,17 slower and ends up only 6th! :wtf:

This how a world class championship should look like! It’s about time f1 took notes…
And so, four team all running the same winning design .... four RB20 & four RB19 for this year ... extrapolated from Ducati success in MotoGP :mrgreen:

Zak Brown would explode if that were the case :D

AMG.Tzan

Farnborough wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 17:15
AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 15:02

And so, four team all running the same winning design .... four RB20 & four RB19 for this year ... extrapolated from Ducati success in MotoGP :mrgreen:

Zak Brown would explode if that were the case :D
KTM and Aprilia were like 0,5 behind the winning Ducati rider and had Espargaro had 2 more laps he may have won considering his tire advantage!

The winning rider hasn’t won 90% of the races from 2022 onwards! Can’t even compare these two sports anymore…

Just look at f1! 4th lap and the race has already ended… :lol:

etusch

I wonder if AE will have this tyre advantage tomorrow. If he has, He will easily win the race, I think.