Thesis Ideas

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
robbo2071
robbo2071

Thesis Ideas

Hi guys,

I am studying for a master's in automotive engineering and would like to do a thesis on Formula 1 aerodynamics.

However, I am not sure as to what area to investigate. I want to pick something niche but also relevant to the current regulations, whether that be side pod design, diffuser/underfloor dynamics, or maybe something like aerodynamic cooling.

What areas are very topical or unknown and could have a good amount to research and investigate?

Thanks

F1NAC

Re: Thesis Ideas

robbo2071 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 21:30
Hi guys,

I am studying for a master's in automotive engineering and would like to do a thesis on Formula 1 aerodynamics.

However, I am not sure as to what area to investigate. I want to pick something niche but also relevant to the current regulations, whether that be side pod design, diffuser/underfloor dynamics, or maybe something like aerodynamic cooling.

What areas are very topical or unknown and could have a good amount to research and investigate?

Thanks
Porpoising :mrgreen:

Zynerji

I'd like to see some software for a unique method of analysis. Like using asymmetrical cymatic algorithms to visualize boundary layer harmonics or something cool that gives a window into the data that is visually intuitive to the student studying the phenomenon.

But, that's pretty specific if you are not an aero-programmer...🤣

hollus

DRS and a possible resulting beam wing stall?
I mean, “ “ “ stall “ “ “ - ish.

It can have a horrible title like “long distance effects of flow field distortion during DRS activation on performance critical aerodynamic structures in the inter-wheel spatial domain”.
Rivals, not enemies.

robbo2071
robbo2071

krisfx wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 16:46
Probably not the response you want, but I would focus on something with much more readily available information than F1. IE aero in your formula student team.

Your undergrad thesis should allow you to prove that you can develop & manage a moderately large project, rather than trying to solve some novel idea. F1 projects tend to run away quite quickly & the information out there is often lacking the depth required for a thesis and is generally lacking accuracy, so it would be difficult to come to meaningful conclusions.
I actually don't come from a background in engineering. I did chemistry for my undergrad :D