2024 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 car comparison thread

Stu wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 15:00
morefirejules08 wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:43
djos wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:35
Wow, if RedBull really bring zero pods, and it works, the Mercedes engineers will all be out the back of the wind tunnel blowing their brains out! :o
And if it doesn’t work it’ll prove the move away from the concept was the right choice. Saying that, I don’t think we’re going to see a full fat zeropod from RB.
Semi-skimmed zeropod?
They have been using the sidepod to control ‘used-up’ air & push it outboard of the rear wheels, even if they have pulled the cooling inboard towards the centreline (as with the original zeropod concept) they are still able to use the vacant space purely as bodywork.

The front of the launch sidepod has a very interesting profile at the outboard vertical edge that should be yaw insensitive (like the front wheel pods on the previous-gen LMP1 cars.
Your comment about the previous gen LMP1 reminded me of Porsche 919:

Underbite inlet and undercut sidepod:

overbite inlet and undercut sidepod:

dialtone
dialtone

2024 Suspension Ferrari, RedBull, Mercedes comparison with explanation of how the suspensions work. CC are not available yet at the time of posting this, but they should become available later.

EDIT: Funnily enough explains how calling the lowering of the rear arm anti-dive makes no sense as it's the opposite.

PhF1x
PhF1x

vorticism wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:21
So far it’s looking like 2024 with be eighteen RB19s vs two RB20s. Convergence is common in the sport, but it is being exaggerated by very restrictive regulations. This would seemingly have to erode RB's lead, so perhaps this convergence to a joint FIA-Red Bull designed spec series will take the sport to the Liberty™ El Dorado of constant passing and crashing. With fewer and fewer areas of the car to tweak there are fewer avenues to differentiate, hence more follow the leader. The front wing and nosecone regs f.e. produce very similar front ends even in the absence of a pace-setting example. F1's been in an odd state since the hybrid turbo regs change, and it seems to be getting worse. More and more prescriptive. Not all in motorsport is grim, though. That's where the RB17 comes in...
I do believe that McLaren and Aston Martin have a good enough understanding to set their own paths without watching redbull too closely. You could count alpine as well since they were going in the same direction since the beginning of the regulation cycle.

I like designing to volumes but the rest of the specifications could do better. Is it just outwash that cause boring races or the fact half of the grid were down on power (when the current regulations were developed)? Maybe we could also question the effect of wider cars on overtaking but the reasoning behind the regulations and the need to force a show may be doing harm some harm to f1.

My question to you guys is, is the field getting closer because of the regulations or is it getting closer because of a proper cost cap going into a set or new regulations?

Vanja #66

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Haas

Red Bull

KimiRai
KimiRai

f1rules
f1rules

highlighted

vorticism

2022 was the largest aero regulations change since 2009. The 2022 change might arguably be a bigger change than the 2009 change. As such the best initial format (RB18/19) might not be the absolute best. Compare 2009 RB5 up to 2016 RB12, where the general shape and chassis approach didn't change much except for introduction, adaptation, and removal of EBD i.e. the changes across earlier RB cars were due to FIA decree meaning they nailed the formula from the start in 2005. The changes seen between RB19 & RB20 weren't due to a regulations change or any clampdown on a specific feature; so their still apparently some room for major changes as a yet best form is yet found.

+1 Thanks. Ferrari with the standout FW. They also have a flick-up/ducktail on the rear CS not visible on the other cars in that comparison.
𓄀

organic

vorticism

If RB's vertical slot simply accentuates the main sidepod inlet, then it is in the same family as the Alpine & Merc inlets here. Horizontal + vertical inlet.
𓄀

venkyhere
venkyhere

This is a brilliant pic. Helps direct visual comparison. I downloaded this pic on my computer, made some markings (comparison) , but not finding an option to upload the modified pic as attachment. Forum allows only URL links for pics/media. How are you guys adding pics from your local storage ? Is because a new member not having permission to do this, that I am not seeing the option to 'attach' ?

Moderator/admin, if you are reading this, kindly help

MtthsMlw

venkyhere wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:08
This is a brilliant pic. Helps direct visual comparison. I downloaded this pic on my computer, made some markings (comparison) , but not finding an option to upload the modified pic as attachment. Forum allows only URL links for pics/media. How are you guys adding pics from your local storage ? Is because a new member not having permission to do this, that I am not seeing the option to 'attach' ?

Hi, welcome!
The best imo is imgur.com, upload the picture and open it in a new tab. The url can than be embedded here with the [img] option

Sevach
Sevach

Everybody has water slides but it's interesting how different they are, Aston goes for a brutal drop/channel, the others more gradual.
Red Bull is "wavy" it has a slight drop earlier than the others, it straightens, then drops again.

In terms of undercut i think Aston is the most aggressive.

Sorry for no Ferrari from this angle.

venkyhere
venkyhere

MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 23:08
venkyhere wrote:

Hi, welcome!
The best imo is imgur.com, upload the picture and open it in a new tab. The url can than be embedded here with the Image
Thank you. Here goes :
Last edited by venkyhere on 23 Feb 2024, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.

venkyhere
venkyhere

MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 23:08
venkyhere wrote:

Hi, welcome!
The best imo is imgur.com, upload the picture and open it in a new tab. The url can than be embedded here with the Image
Thank you. Here goes :