2025 | Lewis Hamilton | Ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vanja #66

2025 | Lewis Hamilton | Ferrari

A thread for all discussions relating to Lewis Hamilton's transfer to Ferrari in 2025.

The thread is opened to avoid flooding the 2024 Ferrari Team Thread with something that will obviously be continually discussed the whole 2024 season.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2025 | Lewis Hamilton | Ferrari

Seanspeed wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 23:39
In no world will anybody with a sensible brain be expecting Lewis to put a 'colossal beat down' on Leclerc, who might well be the toughest opponent he's faced in the same team since his rookie year.

Whatever Ferrari's intentions with his hiring, that will absolutely not be the reason why they did it.

They certainly do have to worry about being lambasted for 'letting Lewis down', much more than have they for Leclerc, though. There is certainly a circus surrounding Lewis, and Ferrari have done a lot to mostly avoid the ire of close British media scrutiny, but now that veil is lifted and all bets are off. Nothing more that the British press would love than to trash on the Italian team for not doing Lewis proper.
Might well be the toughest opponent period given age difference and the fact Leclerc is the incumbent who is integrated with the team.

Chuckjr

That’s what makes me just scratch my head from a marketing and legacy point of view. Even in the other thread a poster said they didn’t think Lewis would win in either car. Id have to agree. So why leave an incredibly successful career at a team he’s driven for basically his whole life to go and likely just match or more likely lose to a superior team mate while punting his former team a year early?? Should that happen who would take him seriously at Ferrari? That would be toxic for his marketing efforts. It seems people forget most of the Ferrari fan base has really not preferred Lewis his entire career as he has been racing against their “dearly beloved”, and I think it presumptive to assume they suddenly are going to leave decades of dislike behind and turn around and like the guy to the point of buying his merch, becoming a fan, and do all this if/when he can’t even beat his team mate? Make it make sense.

When Brett Favre went and played for rival team the Vikings it alienated his entire fan base, and when he lost in the playoffs, none of the Viking fans had any time for him. So Brett burned both bridges trying to force a SuperBowl win when he didn’t need to be a legend. To this day it has marred his career and few Green Bay fans really even like him anymore when they would have names their kids after him before his Vikings stunt. This Lewis situation is a similar potential pattern just in a much larger scope tho I don’t think his British will ever leave him. I’ve read posts of Merc fans who are Lewis fans and they really are not that excited about pulling for Ferrari. Who can blame them?

Losing at Merc is really where it would not have mattered at all. But losing at Ferrari it will matter much more. And that’s why I don’t see why there’s so much opinion that this is an amazingly good decision and Ferrari will benefit far more than the 1/2 billion or so they are tossing at him and his woke interests (which btw are highly toxic to many American businesses — the very fan base he’s trying to capture along with the Italians).

The whole thing seems just very odd to me because he really had it in the bag at Merc. 100%. Mercedes Benz likely would have named a car edition after him. He could basically do no wrong. Had the team under him and 100% behind him with a huge, huge global fan base just drooling over him and rarely critical of him. Just wait till he makes a mistake at Ferrari—the graces and can-do-no-wrong position that he enjoys at Merc will vaporize. Does he realize the unforgiving rats nest he is walking into?

I think personally this changes a lot and all simply to drive a Ferrari. Whelp, I hope he likes it! I hope it’s all he ever dreamed because I think it’s going to be very costly to his career, legacy, and his personal life if he can’t deliver the goods and win. If he can win, then great, I’m wrong and he will benefit. I just don’t see it.

I guess we will see in 2025, but yea it’s going to be cringe at Merc this year. Already saw it on his face in the pics. It’s easy to tell he is uneasy. The team is. Who can blame them? I know if I was on the team I’d be disappointed. It’s gonna get awkward when the team starts asking him to leave tech meetings early, and he starts getting a different set of notes than his team mate to keep him from taking anything to Ferrari. I also see them giving car updates to George before Lewis this year. I’ve seen this kinda stuff happen many times before from other veteran drivers who left a big team.

I hope Lewis wins for his sake because the Ferrari fan base will not be as forgiving as his Mercedes counterparts. It’s all gonna add up. We’ll see…it has added some free drama, and for that I’m really thankful. 👍
Watching F1 since 1986.

jambuka
jambuka

If after Bahrain testing it becomes clear Mercedes has really taken a big step forward in winter and could compete with RB but Ferrari have taken a step back, can HAM back out of the contract ?

Chuckjr

No way. It’s done.
Watching F1 since 1986.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Don't get all the uproar about Leclerc being displaced by Lewis. I think that Charles will show just how fast he really is against arguably the best driver of all time, albeit quite aged.

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

Leclerc is fast but still making errors. I think he will improve his consistency and by 2025 is beating Hamilton, based on that Hamilton is ageing and Ferrari is a new enviroment to him. After 2025 Hamilton is so old that I can't imagine him fighting against prime-Lerclerc.

KimiRai
KimiRai

jambuka wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 03:31
If after Bahrain testing it becomes clear Mercedes has really taken a big step forward in winter and could compete with RB but Ferrari have taken a step back
You'd think Hamilton would have made sure that wasn't the case. It's unlikely imo.
Recently I can think of Vettel retiring just before AMR made a massive leap, but that choice was most likely made some months before the tunnel numbers started to get big. Lewis' choice was finalised during the winter when the last details were being put on the car and he would have a good idea about the new challenger

mendis
mendis

KimiRai wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:35
jambuka wrote:
If after Bahrain testing it becomes clear Mercedes has really taken a big step forward in winter and could compete with RB but Ferrari have taken a step back
You'd think Hamilton would have made sure that wasn't the case. It's very unlikely imo.
Negotiations between Ferrari and Lewis would have started sometime in the last quarter of last year. It was most likely the timeframe when he made up his mind to move. Was there solid enough info about the W15's performance? We can only guess. It's not a contract that a desperate rookie is signing that can be done in a few days. So obviously it would have taken months of negotiations before he signed the deal. He waited until the last possible moment available as per his current Mercedes contract to inform of the decision. It doesn't mean the deal was done at the end of Jan. My gut feeling is, he didn't have any confidence of Mercedes bridging the gap to Red Bull and he knew it would be belaboring 2 more years. I don't think he waited to see if W15 is good or not. There was a lucrative contract in front of him and a nagging feeling of incompetence of Mercedes to match Red Bull.

Cs98
Cs98

jambuka wrote:
If after Bahrain testing it becomes clear Mercedes has really taken a big step forward in winter and could compete with RB but Ferrari have taken a step back, can HAM back out of the contract ?
No way, no how. The deal is announced, can't put that cat back in a bag.

KimiRai
KimiRai

mendis wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 10:43
Negotiations between Ferrari and Lewis would have started sometime in the last quarter of last year. It was most likely the timeframe when he made up his mind to move. Was there solid enough info about the W15's performance? We can only guess. It's not a contract that a desperate rookie is signing that can be done in a few days. So obviously it would have taken months of negotiations before he signed the deal. He waited until the last possible moment available as per his current Mercedes contract to inform of the decision. It doesn't mean the deal was done at the end of Jan. My gut feeling is, he didn't have any confidence of Mercedes bridging the gap to Red Bull and he knew it would be belaboring 2 more years. I don't think he waited to see if W15 is good or not. There was a lucrative contract in front of him and a nagging feeling of incompetence of Mercedes to match Red Bull.
We can only guess, naturally. We have little idea what are Lewis' true motivations.

Negotiations between Ferrari and Lewis would have started sometime in the last quarter of last year.
Afaik by that point car design is quite advanced.

chrisc90

I think Lewis just wants to win again to be fair. Almost ties in with the lines Horner come out with that there had been chat/small talk about LH fitting into the team. Lewis has done Mclaren, he's done Mercedes, so left him with RB or Ferrari as the 'top challengers'. RB had no space in their driver lineup - so tried Ferrari. It worked.

I think Ferrari are also there to support his little projects he has going on aswell. Mission44 and whatever the other one is. I'd imagine they are chipping in some ££££ to those aswell (albeit Lewis could probably support the whole thing himself if he really wanted to).

I dont think there will be a Ferrari brand Ambassador for Lewis either. Dropping into driving for 1 or 2 seasons (confirmed at minute) and becoming a Ambassador for the brand/car market is too much too soon. Yes there is the LH name, but LH has/will have done very little for Ferrari by that point in terms of heritage/legacy. (unless he can get them 2 WDC/WCC's on the trot - which would still be too premature in my opinion for that role)

Andres125sx

Chuckjr wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 02:41
That’s what makes me just scratch my head from a marketing and legacy point of view. Even in the other thread a poster said they didn’t think Lewis would win in either car. Id have to agree. So why leave an incredibly successful career at a team he’s driven for basically his whole life to go and likely just match or more likely lose to a superior team mate while punting his former team a year early?? Should that happen who would take him seriously at Ferrari? That would be toxic for his marketing efforts. It seems people forget most of the Ferrari fan base has really not preferred Lewis his entire career as he has been racing against their “dearly beloved”, and I think it presumptive to assume they suddenly are going to leave decades of dislike behind and turn around and like the guy to the point of buying his merch, becoming a fan, and do all this if/when he can’t even beat his team mate? Make it make sense.

When Brett Favre went and played for rival team the Vikings it alienated his entire fan base, and when he lost in the playoffs, none of the Viking fans had any time for him. So Brett burned both bridges trying to force a SuperBowl win when he didn’t need to be a legend. To this day it has marred his career and few Green Bay fans really even like him anymore when they would have names their kids after him before his Vikings stunt. This Lewis situation is a similar potential pattern just in a much larger scope tho I don’t think his British will ever leave him. I’ve read posts of Merc fans who are Lewis fans and they really are not that excited about pulling for Ferrari. Who can blame them?

Losing at Merc is really where it would not have mattered at all. But losing at Ferrari it will matter much more. And that’s why I don’t see why there’s so much opinion that this is an amazingly good decision and Ferrari will benefit far more than the 1/2 billion or so they are tossing at him and his woke interests (which btw are highly toxic to many American businesses — the very fan base he’s trying to capture along with the Italians).

The whole thing seems just very odd to me because he really had it in the bag at Merc. 100%. Mercedes Benz likely would have named a car edition after him. He could basically do no wrong. Had the team under him and 100% behind him with a huge, huge global fan base just drooling over him and rarely critical of him. Just wait till he makes a mistake at Ferrari—the graces and can-do-no-wrong position that he enjoys at Merc will vaporize. Does he realize the unforgiving rats nest he is walking into?

I think personally this changes a lot and all simply to drive a Ferrari. Whelp, I hope he likes it! I hope it’s all he ever dreamed because I think it’s going to be very costly to his career, legacy, and his personal life if he can’t deliver the goods and win. If he can win, then great, I’m wrong and he will benefit. I just don’t see it.

I guess we will see in 2025, but yea it’s going to be cringe at Merc this year. Already saw it on his face in the pics. It’s easy to tell he is uneasy. The team is. Who can blame them? I know if I was on the team I’d be disappointed. It’s gonna get awkward when the team starts asking him to leave tech meetings early, and he starts getting a different set of notes than his team mate to keep him from taking anything to Ferrari. I also see them giving car updates to George before Lewis this year. I’ve seen this kinda stuff happen many times before from other veteran drivers who left a big team.

I hope Lewis wins for his sake because the Ferrari fan base will not be as forgiving as his Mercedes counterparts. It’s all gonna add up. We’ll see…it has added some free drama, and for that I’m really thankful. 👍

Leclerc superior to Hamilton? Leclerc has struggled to beat Sainz (2-1 in 3 seasons, without a single season proving any significant superiority), there´s not a single evidence to state he´s superior to the most successful driver in F1 history. This said by someone who think Lewis is overrated, but only because of the huge title count wich IMHO is not representative of his talent, huge talent, but biggest ever? :roll:

Lewis unquestionably is one of the best drivers on current grid, or even ever. Leclerc can´t even beat fair and square a not so talented driver.

Facts

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

Andres125sx wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 02:41

I hope Lewis wins for his sake because the Ferrari fan base will not be as forgiving as his Mercedes counterparts. It’s all gonna add up. We’ll see…it has added some free drama, and for that I’m really thankful.

Leclerc superior to Hamilton? Leclerc has struggled to beat Sainz (2-1 in 3 seasons, without a single season proving any significant superiority), there´s not a single evidence to state he´s superior to the most successful driver in F1 history. This said by someone who think Lewis is overrated, but only because of the huge title count wich IMHO is not representative of his talent, huge talent, but biggest ever? :roll:

Lewis unquestionably is one of the best drivers on current grid, or even ever. Leclerc can´t even beat fair and square a not so talented driver.

Facts
Well Hamilton did struggle with Russell too '22. Hamilton is ageing 40's and his prime has gone already.

Sieper

In fact. It will be interesting to see Leclerc and Hamilton go up against eachother. That is the one big plus this move has.

I don’t agree that leclerc can’t beat Sainz. With the same gymnastics you can say Lewis can’t beat George. They can, they have, they will and they should.

There is this website that does comperative ratings based on an algorithm and to me it has oftentimes come very close to what I see as reality of drivers performing and it has Lewis and Leclerc extremely close to eachother.
Last edited by Sieper on 17 Feb 2024, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.