Qiddiya Speed Park for the 2027 Saudi Arabian GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
cplchanb
cplchanb

Qiddiya Speed Park for the 2027 Saudi Arabian GP

Just to start the discussion on this admittedly interesting new track including a 20 storey elevation change.
Though the removal of grandstands may not be too popular with traditional viewers who want a reserved seat vs fighting for a spot on a terrace.

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news ... /10581408/

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Re: Qiddiya Speed Park for the 2027 Saudi Arabian GP

cplchanb wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 18:31
Just to start the discussion on this admittedly interesting new track including a 20 storey elevation change.
Though the removal of grandstands may not be too popular with traditional viewers who want a reserved seat vs fighting for a spot on a terrace.

https://www.motorsport.com/general/news ... /10581408/

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... -Track.jpg
It quite interesting how they've kept this relatively quiet for a long time. The current Jeddah circuit was meant to fill the gap between when this track was ready. There was such little talk about it I thought myself they might have just thrown these plans away

langedweil

I get a strong sense Hermann was inspired by both the SpeedRacer movie and Trackmania United 8)
Looks more like a pinball machine than a F1 circuit, but who knows ...
HuggaWugga !

CHT
CHT

What Jeddah need next is to legalise alcohol for tourists.

cplchanb
cplchanb

truthfully im not sure how that 20 storey turn would actually do for the race and for the drivers. would it actually be a challenging or interesting feature or would it just be a meh thing like the AD banked turns...

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Looks like it's just gna be an inflated version of COTA T1. Less tight so far less interesting from a racing perspective

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I will say though, atleast it will be an actual race track and looks pretty decent with a mix of corners

dialtone
dialtone

Dumb question perhaps but... How are they going to make sure cars won't tumble downstairs? It doesn't happen often but there have been a couple of accidents in the last 10 years where cars really kinda took off.

maxxer
maxxer

another very short track with alot of curves

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

dialtone wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 02:34
Dumb question perhaps but... How are they going to make sure cars won't tumble downstairs? It doesn't happen often but there have been a couple of accidents in the last 10 years where cars really kinda took off.
Runoff, catch fencing and if all else fails, prayer to Allah

Farnborough
Farnborough

langedweil wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 20:21
I get a strong sense Hermann was inspired by both the SpeedRacer movie and Trackmania United 8)
Looks more like a pinball machine than a F1 circuit, but who knows ...
Agree, F1 doesn't need another like this, with the existing offering something very different and crucially very good to watch a current car on.

This one, and its type typically, generally give no chance for an overtake "buildup" being punctuated each time a move comes close by the next corner to prevent it happening.

There'll just be "divebomb" opportunity, which upsets all the Lewis Hamilton acolytes :mrgreen:

Corner just following another of the opposite direction in these succession will usually separate very very quickly the low and high deg designs extremely fast, with obvious outcome :D

Mogster

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 00:10
Looks like it's just gna be an inflated version of COTA T1. Less tight so far less interesting from a racing perspective
The first thing that occurred to me was that this was very similar to COTA T1. At least building a bridge should avoid the subsidence issues of piling earth to make a hill.

gastonmazzacane

Reminds me of our local indoor carting track in Ljubljana.

https://youtu.be/RD83VW5nNg4?si=YTsY1RLmsqm5WUVr

Cs98
Cs98

maxxer wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 09:09
another very short track with alot of curves
Short? You sure you are looking at the whole track? Look top right.

Watto
Watto

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 09:33
dialtone wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 02:34
Runoff, catch fencing and if all else fails, prayer to Allah
shouldn’t laugh so much at that, though perhaps not that much different to tracks with shortish run offs and a grandstand over the other side the catch fence.

I wonder how easily they could repair a catch fence if it suffered bad enough damage on a section like that.