BAR Honda 2002 chassis 09 rebuild

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
thestig84
thestig84

BAR Honda 2002 chassis 09 rebuild

Hi. I have enjoyed Showcar Kevs builds on here along with F1Pilot and his 2001 BARs.

Been a dream of mine to have a go so have taken the plunge and bought a 2002 BAR 004/009 chassis.

I am not collecting for a while but just putting the message out there for any info, contacts or suitable parts anyone might have. Will update when collect and make progress.

Much appreciated!
Adam

thestig84
thestig84

Re: BAR Honda 2002 chassis 09 rebuild

Bit of an update. I had the pleasure of visiting Ron at GPcars4sale. He had a fair few extra BAR Honda bits (along with my tub). Quite a few are a bit too new for my car (050-060) but I did get a decent pile of parts to get me going (rear wing not pictured).
Just cleaning bits up today. The front wing endplates are 020 (year 2000) if anyone has 2002 versions that they would swap that would be handy. These will do if I cant find anything else. I'm pleased with the correct rear bodywork, wishbones and T-tray!
Cleaned up rear bodywork

Also couple nice cockpit items:
I am going to improve the dummy wheel. Perhaps a different display, paddles, quick release hub and alcantara (help hide some of the fake carbon!) H Honda logo in the centre too.

Really good to meet Alex from Pitlanespares.com and collect an A1GP steering column. Looking forward to seeing more parts they have in the future!

Stu

Best of luck Adam, it’ll be fun to follow the build.
Do you know the history of the chassis?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

thestig84
thestig84

Thanks Stu.

Yes during the 2001 season it was a spare car for Silverstone, Magny Cours, Hockenheim, Hungaroring, Spa-Franchorchamps, Monza and Indianapolis. It made its only race appearance at the Nürburgring for JV after he called his race car undrivable in qualifying!

coaster

I pray it gets a V10, Judd 4.0 seems to be the most plentiful and serviceable.

thestig84
thestig84

Sorry to disappoint but it will just be a roller. Just making it a roller is already a big enough project.

Kudos to the guys that get these running again but unfortunately I am a long way from operating in those circles!!

thestig84
thestig84

Small update. Wheel is a little project while waiting to collect tub. I cut away some of the back plate of the wheel to fit the centre control panel. Also looking at the real wheel from that era I have swapped the talk button for a switch. Installed 4 inserts that small allen bolts thread into and secure the front panel. Added a Honda H logo in the centre also.

coaster

Will the car be on the floor?
Some collectors wall mount rollers, nightclubs often bolt champ car rollers to the ceiling so that drunks cannot meddle with the car.

thestig84
thestig84

Yes it be on the floor, not sure I would call it a roller if plan was to mount it somewhere.

thestig84
thestig84

Little bit more work on the wheel. Alcantara went on quite well, not perfect up close but not too bad.
New black piece of acrylic that is a lot more like the real wheel (pic below) now hides a 3d printed housing for 2 led displays. The left is a gear display that is wired up to the MIX rotary displaying 1, 2, 4 or 4. Throttle position 4 brings up a 0. The right display is volts and amps. Its just a little feature to add an extra dimension to the wheel. The quick release hub, 3d printed paddles and connectors are ready but will have to wait for the chassis to make sure I get the mounting position correct.