Overclocking an ecu.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
coaster

Overclocking an ecu.

So let's say you have a CBR600rr motor and an old Microtech ecu with a rev limit of 12000rpm, you replace the frequency crystal to increase CPU speed to achieve a rev limit of 16000rpm to suit the car.
That's fine and good, but, your crank signal, airflow, o2 sensor are all calculated at different rates.
Are there any fsae guys who could please share with me their experiences of this pathway?

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Re: Overclocking an ecu.

I have done this many times on cars,

For example vtec engagement at 5500 rev limit 8200 we change the crystal from a 24mhz to a 26/27 and that moves everything up by about 600-800rpm vtec engagement around 6000rpm and rev limit 9000rpm.

Making this change leans the fueling out but that's really the only difference i have seen everything else seems to act normal starting, idle, timing etc.

We then also fit a piggyback ecu to alter the fueling changes needed to get the car running correctly again.

It seems just easier to run a full management ecu where you can do what you want

Zynerji

aran.vtec wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 12:54
I have done this many times on cars,

For example vtec engagement at 5500 rev limit 8200 we change the crystal from a 24mhz to a 26/27 and that moves everything up by about 600-800rpm vtec engagement around 6000rpm and rev limit 9000rpm.

Making this change leans the fueling out but that's really the only difference i have seen everything else seems to act normal starting, idle, timing etc.

We then also fit a piggyback ecu to alter the fueling changes needed to get the car running correctly again.

It seems just easier to run a full management ecu where you can do what you want
HonDATA for the win.

I never thought of clocking an ecu like this tho. Thank you for the fresh angle!

chrisc90

Could such things not be changed in the ECU mapping?

I know the VAG 1.8T Bosch motronic me7.5 are easily scaled in the mapping, specific points for differing things, like VVT are all very very finely controlled.
I can go in and change exact conditions and rpm of where things activate. Or even change the map axis for say RPM, boost pressure, airflow etc.