Senna’s throttle blipping on corner exit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Lawrence McLawrence
Lawrence McLawrence

Senna’s throttle blipping on corner exit

Hi, I've noticed Senna suffered rather a lot of of engine and transmission relayed DNFs compared to his teammates during his career, particularly in 1989 and 1992.

I'm just wondering, could have have had anything to do with his technique of violently blipping the throttle whilst accelerating out of corners, and if so, to what extent could his driving style have been a factor?

coaster

Re: Senna’s throttle blipping on corner exit

Heel on the accelerator and toes on the the brake pedal is a common skill used by SOME racing drivers.
It's wasteful if it's not done right, it takes finesse to master it.
Ayrton was quite possibly a master of the technique, in fact, somewhere is a promotional Honda film of him track testing the new NSX and a portion of footage shows his technique.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

OP was more talking about the staccato application which has surely been discussed before.

The skill of the heel&toe in the video is very cool
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

CMSMJ1 wrote:
13 May 2024, 12:00
OP was more talking about the staccato application which has surely been discussed before.
... the video is very cool
the footage of the staccato application of power was new to me

it seems to be a technique to help in reaching the limit of tyre grip without exceeding it
similarly a staccato element of steering movement was/is used eg to get a managed reduction in tyre grip

also the staccato aka pulse technique is used in flying eg to better control touchdowns etc
(and misinterpreted or otherwise cancelled by nerdy software-obsessed designers - car or plane)