Ferrari's clutchless transmission

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jukebox
Jukebox

Ferrari's clutchless transmission

I'm sure most of us have heard these rumour at the beginning of the season. Most people are rather skeptical of the idea and Ferrari themself have denied these rumours. Technically by removing the bellhousing and it's component makes the link between the engine and gearbox much more shorter. And being integrarted to work as a unit makes gear shifting to work much more faster and efficient.

From the seconds advantage per lap Ferrari have and the compact rear end of the chassis seems to suggest they might very well have achieved those rumoured technical advancements.

And i'm very impressed by the look of their periscope shaped exhaust exit..cool 8)
Ferrari forever....

Steven
Owner

yes indeed looks more flashy than on the F2001.
I'm already curious with what new things they will come out next year.

the slim bottle shape and the lowered side pods on the Ferrari have certainly something to do with these changes at the gearbox and the stuff coupled on it. :idea:
What I also know, is that the new high exhausts are part of the coke bottle shape, as the outlet is much more to the front than where the gases came into the air at the time of the F2001.
Some may have noticed that the exhaust pipes inside the side pods, are bent quite shortly and thus not having the width of the engine-exhaust part of McLaren and Williams, and especially not like Renault (who are considering dropping their 111° engine and go back to a more usual 90° or the 72°). A shame I think, always nice to see how teams cope differently with problems. :wink:

Jukebox
Jukebox

Speaking of Renault's engine V spread.....notice that the lowered F2002 engine cover part of the chassis? How do they managed to have that since the V spread of the engine is of 90degrees?

Yes...it is a shame isn't it, since they were the one to introde turbo engines and the pneumatic valve. They seemed to have resolved the vibration problem that they've encountered back in 2001 this year but they lack horsepower and i guess it's back to convensional 90degrees if they want to be up there with the top teams.

Williams seemed to be having a great engine but the aero and chassis package ain't that great isn't it. The raised nosecone and not wanting to use the famous Sauber outboard mounting of the lower wishbones concept and opted for the centrally mounted pillar type. Then their wheelbase are quite long than the rest. It was suggested that their exhaust length is quite long and with being able to achieve rev of more than 19,000rpm :roll:

Just heard that Ferrari will be providing an added 20hp to the F2002 at Monza this week. :)
Ferrari forever....

Steven
Owner

hmmm one more strange thing..
the new Ferrari engine spec 052 is rumoured to have its cilinders in a V angle of 110° ... I don't think Renault is switching back to a 90° (which is nevertheless more than the 72° which was standard in the Hakkinen era) if that rumour appears to be true. Although I doubt that, but it could be, Ferrari is doing everything in their might to keep its advantage to the rest of the field. It's also rumoured that new engine might be able to deliver slightly more than 900 bhp (realistic, as Monza spec in qualifying will give Ferrari nealy 900bhp) and might reach 20.000 rpm
POWER it is :roll: :lol:

Steven
Owner

For what Williams is concerned, I rate Patrick Head very highly on his skills when it comes to the technical side, and combining it all to one nice block of car :wink: , but he's only average on aerodynamic aspects.. I think there even McLaren are way better than Williams BMW, though Mercedes is said to be running a little behind with its engine after even a performance loss last year because of their disallowed berilium based engine.

Jukebox
Jukebox

It's a shame isn't it, the FIA banned the berilium metal element cause it increases reliability and being very light, it makes the engine goes faster accelaration and higher RPMs can be achieved.

Actually Ferrari was developing their own berilium based engine until the FIA banned the metal based element on Jan 1st 2001
Ferrari forever....

carnorjax
carnorjax

8)

Yes Dude , if FIA had not banned berillium Ferrari was still 3rd & 4th
because McLaren were already using a berillium based engine...

Greg Sowell
Greg Sowell

Re: Ferrari's clutchless transmission

From the seconds advantage per lap Ferrari have and the compact rear end of the chassis seems to suggest they might very well have achieved those rumoured technical advancements.

And i'm very impressed by the look of their periscope shaped exhaust exit..cool 8)[/quote]

From what I've heard they've achieved this using some WRC technology. A computer controlled lock up differential. Haven't any spicy quotes from that series yet, but I'll let you know, Cheers, Greg
Laissez les bon tremps roulez!

ced ampo
ced ampo

I guess only Rory Bryne and Ross Brawn can answer that

lesz42
lesz42

bit late in the day to answer? 6 years?

alex1015
alex1015

ced ampo wrote:I guess only Rory Bryne and Ross Brawn can answer that
Are you roaming the forum trying to bump threads greater than 4 years old?

The FOZ
The FOZ

ced ampo wrote:I guess only Rory Bryne and Ross Brawn can answer that
And everyone else in F1?

hecti
hecti

i dont wanna change the subject on this but i think acura patented the beryllium/silicon piston sleeve technology some of you were referring to
United States Patent 6656421
its three japanese dudes under the patent