Historic F1 series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
benjabulle
benjabulle

Historic F1 series

First round of Historic F1 racing series was last week at Hockenheim, I'm talking about EUROBOSS and FIA F1 Historic. I love them, it's not really about racing as most of the drivers are non professional, it's just about F1 cars, the ones were were watching on TV and magazines when were were younger. This year Euroboss serie could have interesting new cars, an Arrows A21 and Benetton B191 ex Schum already raced at Hockenheim but more to come for next races with Turbo cars, an Alfa Romeo and Zakspeed :mrgreen: The same with FIA F1 historic, was seen for the first time in europe a Mclaren MP4/1B, R.Dennis sold some cars to private owners and we could see them on track again. If you're interested in those old beasts, I recall that Monaco GP Historic will be next week, an amazing entry list with also the Ferrri F1 Clienti, from 312 to F2004.

Below one photo of the V8 Alfa Romeao turbo I saw at the rear of a truck at Hockenheim :

Carlos
Carlos

Re: Historic F1 series

Be sure to visit gurneyflap and see the gallery from the race. Thanks benjabulle - :D

benjabulle
benjabulle

Monaco GP is coming but last week was the Historic one with all these oldies 8)
The most beautiful one (for me :mrgreen: ) ; the Brabham Alfa Romeo BT45B
More here : http://www.gurneyflap.com/monaco2008.html

and for the ones who want even more I got that :mrgreen:
http://www.gurneyflap.com/dvdsale.html

WhiteBlue

TX, what an incredible site!!! 8) 8) 8)

when I look at the strength of this riveted Lotus aluminium chassis I begin to comprehend the incredible balls those guys had to drive these machines over daunting circuits like the Nürburgring North loop, Spa and Monza sitting on unprotected fuel tanks that could blow up like molotov cocktails.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

benjabulle
benjabulle

WhiteBlue wrote:TX, what an incredible site!!! 8) 8) 8)
when I look at the strength of this riveted Lotus aluminium chassis I begin to comprehend the incredible balls those guys had to drive these machines over daunting circuits like the Nürburgring North loop, Spa and Monza sitting on unprotected fuel tanks that could blow up like molotov cocktails.

this is exactly what I think when I watch this Tyrrell 008, driven by a woman, Andrea Bahlsen, in the streets of Monaco. Looking at her I don't think she has balls 8) but even if she's not the fastest on track, she must be very brave !

WhiteBlue

yep, thats true. and some years before that they did not even have seat belts. these things already have roll bars. what a luxury! :wink:

I was researching Gordini and came across Fred Wackers testimony
http://www.forix.com/8w/gordini.html
Fred Wacker recalls: "I got in the car and nobody told me anything. I think they told me the shift pattern and that was about it. And I remember I just started to go around this track at Montlhéry, which I'd never seen before. And of course, I didn't have many brains in those days. I didn't have sense enough to go slow. I wanted to win on the first lap. Well, I went over this bump. I didn't see it. I was probably doing, I don't know, maybe 130 miles per hour. And I almost came out of the car. We didn't wear seat belts then. I was like W.C. Fields coming down the side of the mountain in The Bank Dick, you know, with the steering wheel in my hands. So I came in and told them that I had some trouble staying in the car and they said, 'Oh, well, you have to keep your left foot pressed up against the firewall and push your back against the seat. That's the way you stay in.' See, nobody told me that, and I could have loused myself up pretty good."

look at that bugger of a banking
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Carlos
Carlos

This blog hightlights the 2008 Monaco Historical Races, features just so many interesting people and cars.Flip some index dates, pages and names.
http://memoiresdestands.hautetfort.com/ ... index.html

guy_smiley

Over the weekend I was watching some Rolex Grand Am (Laguna Seca) and American Le Mans Series (Miller Motorsports Park) sports car racing, and a Pontiac GXP driver from Grand Am won his Monaco Historic GP for the first time, and a team boss of an ALMS team won his Monaco Historic GP for the 7th time--thus making him the record holder for Monaco wins (obviously only the number itself is the record since they are not real F1 GPs**). I apologize because I can't find the results online to pick out their names, and I didn't record the races so I can't go back to review the segments about the drivers. Anyway, I thought it was very interesting stuff! I'll keep searching for their names, and any help is very welcome! :)

**The broadcasters were the ones making the 'record-holder' point, not me! So any complaints can be sent to SPEEDtv instead of me! :D
Smiles all 'round!

flynfrog

how do they keep finding tires and parts to keep these cars going?

WhiteBlue

I reckon money isn't an issue to some of these people and enough money will get you a lot of custom engineering done. :D

It is a wonderfull thing to see and the photografers going there are certainly doing a fantastic job. I just hope that there will not be many shunts that destroy some of these beauties. there shouldn't really be any serious racing. more like showing in motion.

benjabulle
benjabulle

guy_smiley wrote:Over the weekend I was watching some Rolex Grand Am (Laguna Seca) and American Le Mans Series (Miller Motorsports Park) sports car racing, and a Pontiac GXP driver from Grand Am won his Monaco Historic GP for the first time, and a team boss of an ALMS team won his Monaco Historic GP for the 7th time--thus making him the record holder for Monaco wins (obviously only the number itself is the record since they are not real F1 GPs**). I apologize because I can't find the results online to pick out their names, and I didn't record the races so I can't go back to review the segments about the drivers. Anyway, I thought it was very interesting stuff! I'll keep searching for their names, and any help is very welcome! :)

**The broadcasters were the ones making the 'record-holder' point, not me! So any complaints can be sent to SPEEDtv instead of me! :D

D.Dayton is the guy who won 7 races of Monaco Historic GP, in different series.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

I just been to the Silverstone Classic and it was fantastic! Free entry to the pits, paddock, garages and so on! A superb weekend!

I took over 1500 photos over 3 days - Check out some of my photos on flickr..

BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

benjabulle
benjabulle

You were lucky to be there, I knew the entries but I've been surprised to see more interesting cars than expected, a Lola Beatrice HART, several Benetton :shock:

benjabulle
benjabulle

2009 season began this week end at Spa with FIA Historic F1, a good entry list for this first round (what crisis ?) and once again the domination of J.Folch driving the Brabham BT49 on loan from Bernie, a youngster is second, british Andy Meirick. Photos and Videos 8) :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/09spaf1.html

vyselegend

Thanks.

I believe groups C were racing also last week. Did you shoot them?

Are you going to travel to Monza for June? It is rumored there will be a great group C field, with a lot more participants than at Spa.