GM Pushes Union for Concessions as Part of Restructuring

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
jon-mullen

GM Pushes Union for Concessions as Part of Restructuring

From the New York Times:
Union Talks Seen as Key as GM Makes Case for Funds

DETROIT — With its access to a government lifeline possibly at risk, General Motors executives were locked in intense negotiations Monday with leaders of the United Automobile Workers over ways to cut its vast bills for retiree health care.

G.M. will file what is expected to be the largest restructuring plan of its 100-year history on Tuesday, a step it must take to justify its use of a $13.4 billion loan package from the federal government.

The plan will outline in considerable detail, over as many as 900 pages, how G.M. will further cut its work force, shutter more factories in North America and reduce its lineup of brands to just four, from eight, according to executives knowledgeable about its contents. The remaining core brands will be Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick.

But G.M.’s plan to shrink its way to profitability will not mean much without an agreement with the U.A.W.

On Monday, G.M. pressed union leaders in a meeting in Detroit for a deal on financing what was the centerpiece of the 2007 U.A.W. contract — a perpetual, G.M.-financed trust to cover health care costs of hundreds of thousands of retired hourly workers and their surviving spouses.

Both sides were hopeful that either an agreement, or at least significant progress, might be achieved by the time G.M. submitted its plan, according to three people familiar with the substance of the negotiations.

Talks are also continuing between the U.A.W. and Ford Motor and Chrysler. But the focus of negotiations has been with G.M., which has to address how a company that lost more than $20 billion last year can afford $5 billion a year in medical bills.

In its overall plan, G.M. needs to show President Obama’s new cabinet-level task force that it can substantially reduce costs and make a convincing case about its long-term viability by a March 31 deadline.

The company has already extended buyout offers to its entire United States unionized work force to reduce their ranks by another 20,000 jobs. It has also announced a 14 percent reduction in salaried workers around the world, leaving many of its white-collar workers in Detroit with limited prospects.

The plan will also probably include revisions in executive compensation and targets for cutting dealers and brands like Saturn and Pontiac.

Details of the plan have been closely guarded. G.M.’s board met Monday to review its contents, which will not be completed possibly until Tuesday, according to one G.M. official who asked not to be identified because of confidentiality agreements.

Chrysler was also said to be in the final stages of completing its plan on Monday, which will include further cuts in its manufacturing operations in the United States and more details on its strategy to rebuild its product lineup with a network of foreign alliances.

The plan was still under discussion late Monday with officials at Cerberus Capital Management, owner of an 80 percent stake, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The White House press secretary said Monday that the Obama administration was “anxious” to see the plans, but shared no timetable on when the president’s task force would comment.

“We’re anxious to take a look at the plans, understanding that it is extremely important to have a strong and viable auto industry,” the press secretary, Robert Gibbs, told reporters aboard Air Force One. “Obviously that is going to require some restructuring to ensure its viability.”

On Monday, the president designated the Treasury secretary, Timothy F. Geithner, and the chairman of the National Economic Council, Lawrence H. Summers, to oversee the task force on the auto industry.

The move surprised executives at G.M. and Chrysler, who were expecting the appointment of a “car czar” who would play an active part in negotiations between G.M. and Chrysler and their unions and lenders.

The task force is not likely to complete any review of the plans for at least a week or 10 days, according to an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity. The president expects negotiations between G.M. and the U.A.W. and others to continue without pause for the plan’s submission, the official said.

Talks between G.M. and its bondholders have cooled while the automaker considers the framework of an agreement offered by the bondholders to reduce G.M.’s debt to $9 billion, from $28 billion.

The U.A.W. talks, however, have been constant since Saturday, when Ron Gettelfinger, the union’s president, at one point cut off discussions with G.M. — only to drive across town to take up the topic of retiree health care with Ford.

Ford has not received government loans, so it is significant that the U.A.W. appears to believe it must address retiree health care at all three Detroit auto companies simultaneously.

G.M. has the most at stake with the U.A.W. Its future obligations for retiree health care are estimated at $47 billion, and by next year it is required by its contract to contribute more than $10 billion to the trust set up in 2007.

The company, which nearly ran out of money before receiving the first $9.4 billion of its $13.4 billion in late December, is pressing the U.A.W. to accept stock for as much as 50 percent of its next contribution to the trust, according to two people knowledgeable about the discussions.

Mr. Gettelfinger, for his part, is trying to protect one of the jewels of the U.A.W. contract, which is essentially health care for life for anyone who worked on the assembly line and their surviving spouses. G.M. has already canceled health care for more than 100,000 of its salaried retirees.

“The U.A.W. at this point understands that it can very well turn into the villain of this whole thing by insisting that its workers receive health care benefits that few workers do,” said Gary N. Chaison, a labor expert at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

U.A.W. members are bracing for bad news, and worrying that their health care plan will be sacrificed to keep G.M. from going bankrupt.

“Where does it all stop?” said Mike Green, president of U.A.W. Local No. 652, which represents workers in Lansing, Mich. “It would be devastating. Our typical person works between 30 and 40 years. They did their part. Why should they have it taken away with the sweep of a pen?”
GM is trying to take away an agreement they made in 2007! And they wonder why people call them short-sighted?

Guys, it's not suddenly your workers' fault you can't turn a buck when the economy shifts. If you'd had the long term in mind this never would've happened!
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

pipex
pipex

Re: GM Pushes Union for Concessions as Part of Restructuring

I wonder who will pay the workers health care if GM goes bust :P
"We will have to wait and see".

flynfrog

pipex wrote:I wonder who will pay the workers health care if GM goes bust :P
Tax payers

Ray

GM and every other failing industry in this country should go bankrupt. They aren't going to get better by 'bailouts' of illegally created currency. GM is making some of the best cars in the world right now but our liberally biased media has somehow convinced the people that they make really shitty vehicles. The unions are bleeding them dry and they are the modern equivalent of the mob. It's not totally the UAWs' fault, but they aren't helping with their outrageous deals they have with GM. Then again, GM didn't have to sign the dotted line I guess.

LET ALL corporations go bankrupt and get government interference out of the market. No government program or meddling has ever improved anything, it's always made it worse.
jon-mullen wrote:
GM is trying to take away an agreement they made in 2007! And they wonder why people call them short-sighted?
So they should stick with a bad decision? Good thing you aren't running the company with that outlook.
jon-mullen wrote:Guys, it's not suddenly your workers' fault you can't turn a buck when the economy shifts. If you'd had the long term in mind this never would've happened!
The economy isn't shifting, it's failing massively. They aren't the only ones having really bad times. All over the world banks, computer memory makers, DVD palyers, electronics companies, and government agencies are failing. The Communist state of Kalifornia is bankrupt. Car companies are too. This is not limited to just GM.

If they could clear up those bullshit deals where the workers get up to something like 80% of their full salary after being laid off, you don't think that would help GM?! Those are not competitive contracts and they are hurting GM. Makes sense to hit the workers that are getting outlandish benefits when they aren't building cars that don't sell. That's what happens when you start to go under, you cut the fat. They need to cut alot more things than that, but it's a start. What they need to do though is go completely bankrupt, file chapter 11, let someone pony up the cash and buy into them, and restructure into a leaner and meaner company. It's the only way to solve the problem. Sometimes it hurts, but life ain't fair. There have to be winners and losers. Right now GM is the loser.

jon-mullen

Ray wrote:
jon-mullen wrote:
So they should stick with a bad decision? Good thing you aren't running the company with that outlook.
Actually it was an example of them being short-sighted, and I don't recall sending you my resume, bra. And this country is in part founded on contract law, capital can't start crying foul when one in a thousand contracts goes the worker's way.

I know what a balance sheet looks like and it's obvious that cutting these benefits would change their bottom line, but that's not at all why they're failing. There are plenty of businesses that are doing well in this economy (repo for instance) and GM could very well be one of them. Instead they have 19 SUVs in their line-up this year. "Made in America" would be a great marketing point, but they've outsourced so many jobs it would be a joke. Their manufacturing model is wasteful, Toyota's putting them to shame in their own backyard.

Should they fail? I'm inclined to say yes. But as a taxpayer, if the government IS going to give the company money, I think it reads as giving money to people to s#!t on their workers, who are hardly to blame.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

xpensive
xpensive

When I was active in PA in the mid-90s, there was a strike at a UAW contolled GM plant in nearby Ohio, when GM wanted to outsource manufacturing of brake-components to a non-unionized Bosch-factory in Georgia. Fact of the matter was that the workers at the Ohio-plant made 26 USD/h, plus 16 USD/h in benefits.
This was in 1996. Hell, most of my engineers didn't make that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

My hometown is Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, the site of the major Canadian GM plant. Right now everyone there is on pins and needles, waiting for the bad news. Most likely the Canadian GM plants will be hit VERY hard.
I have relatives who have worked in GM, and their health benefits plan is amazing, and also outrageous. For instance, my retired uncle travelled to Florida, encountered health problems, and spent a few weeks in a Florida hospital. He didn't have to pay a penny, because he was a retired GM worker.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

Well, news over here is that the party is over for GM-owned Saab anyway. GM is broke and our government thankfully refuses to subsidize a manufacturing which hasn't shown a profit for 20 years. RIP.

xpensive
xpensive

It has been reported here in Sweden that many sub-suppliers has now stopped deliveries to Saab Automobile.

Ciro Pabón

If GM were an F1 car, it's engine would be smoking.

UAW blames management for the lame cars.

Management blames the relatively high cost of its union contract.

Both complain about foreign competition.

Now, while GM is failing, America’s automobile industry as a whole is doing quite well.

The figures I got show that US factories assembled last year 12 million vehicles. In 1994, before NAFTA, they built 10.6 million. The Federal Reserve Board claims that last year the autopart industry grow an astonishing 40%.

It's clear to me that the fault is within the whole of GM: their outrageous monopoly, amounting to 50% of the market (of the largest market in the world, for the love of Pete!) has moved to other american factories ran by foreign manufacturers that know how to build a car and how to treat an employee: Toyota, Honda, Nissan do not bribe their people with easy to sign health contracts, but treat them like human beings and pay them more NOW instead of deferring costs (the easy way out!) through promises so large and impossible to accomplish that will never be fulfilled.

Doesn't anybody in the US have a calculator? The market share of GM has fallen from 50 to 25%! Ehem.

On a side note, talking about NAFTA, let me tell you that the trade agreements US negotiators have reached with some countries of Latin America are nothing less than extortion... but that's my point of view. If Americans complain about their income, imagine what we have down here, with over 30% of the population into poverty... whiners.

Hrumph, I don't know why some people always look for the "easy" solution: instead of trying to develop some wealth among their neighbors, like Germany has done, instead of creating a huge market with the rest of the Americas, a latent solution for decades, US seem fixed in the idea of winners and losers (hi, Ray! ;)). Has nobody up there heard of a win-win solution? More people live under the US "protectorate" than people live in China, and they are richer and more educated than the Chinese. Aren't there long-term solutions to low demand for US factories? Really? Duh.

For how long will it work the model of "send us your raw products that we have enough internal market to adsorb production and, if we don't, we print paper money"? That's a "monetary" solution that ended being practical when disco was in vogue.

Blaming the lack of markets the US confronts today on short foreshight is the understatement of the year. Now they look for fiscal solutions again: crazy, uninspired people. Even GM is complaining about Japan "manipulating its exchange rate" and there are "voluntary quotas" for Japan imports. Stupidity is a word with many shades, but definitely some of them apply here. :roll:

Anyway, I think both the UAW and management are right: health care means an extra U$1.500 per vehicle. Also, the cars are horrible and not dependable and only a public numbed by advertising can find anything remotely aestethic in those iron junks that could be displayed in the show of the 2050 Automobile Museum, at the section of useless cars.

In the end, I only see a clear, patent solution here: the old way of controlling costs and delivering a good product. The more the infighting and the blaming continues, the faster the company will fail. Instead of trying to find a scapegoat, in times of crisis what you need is decided action.

Oh, well, Superman is not popular anymore, but if they need me for a pep-talk, they know where to find me... I'm just working at the usual place, instead of blaming everybody that's not me and I'm still thinking that "the world is not enough". Recovery, you say? No: surge, I dare to say! :)

Where is the spirit of the old, dear, innovative and liberal Henry Ford?
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Three things you Ciro made me remember while reading this:
Ciro Pabón wrote: The figures I got show that US factories assembled last year 12 million vehicles. In 1994, before NAFTA, they built 10.6 million. The Federal Reserve Board claims that last year the autopart industry grow an astonishing 40%.
Remember the ant and the grasshopper fable? Well, in this case the ant says she wont stand a winter. This spoiled ant believes it should always be summer. They can live with what they piled up, but no, they want more. And the workers are always grasshoppers, but its not that they want to.
Ciro Pabón wrote:On a side note, talking about NAFTA, let me tell you that the trade agreements US negotiators have reached with some countries of Latin America are nothing less than extortion... but that's my point of view. If Americans complain about their income, imagine what we have down here, with over 30% of the population into poverty... whiners.
For how long will it work the model of "send us your raw products that we have enough internal market to adsorb production and, if we don't, we print paper money"? That's a "monetary" solution that ended being practical when disco was in vogue.
Please anybody interested in the subject read Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent. Is a book by Uruguayean writer Eduardo Galeano. Maybe reading that you will understand "Sudacas" a little more.
Ciro Pabón wrote: Hrumph, I don't know why some people always look for the "easy" solution: instead of trying to develop some wealth among their neighbors, like Germany has done, instead of creating a huge market with the rest of the Americas, a latent solution for decades, US seem fixed in the idea of winners and losers (hi, Ray! ;)). Has nobody up there heard of a win-win solution? More people live under the US "protectorate" than people live in China, and they are richer and more educated than the Chinese. Aren't there long-term solutions to low demand for US factories? Really? Duh.
Have you seen "A beautiful mind"? That film where John Forbes Nash (Russell Crowe) modifies a little bit the theory of Capitalism to end with the game theory?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory
There you Ray can read about the win-win solution, right out of Princeton :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Carlos
Carlos

I live in Windsor, a town with an economy dominated by auto manufacturing, with GM and Chrysler. It's where all the money originates, but there is a great deal of outrage considering the over the top contracts the Canadian Auto Workers have. Here is a sample from a column from the Windsor Star's auto writer.

"Windsor is the only three-shift operation left in the company's operations, and sales of minivans are down by as much as half. Do the math, as they say.
Overtime is going to be cut, according to the Detroit bureau of the Associated Press. Few will miss the lucrative but exhausting Saturday shifts at WAP. But expect to hear loud wailing when they slap an airtight ban on skilled trades racking up huge hours by punching in when they aren't needed.
WIDESPREAD ABSENTEEISM
The ongoing crackdown on absenteeism at Chrysler's WAP plant will also cost Local 444 dozens and dozens of jobs. Hundreds of people call in sick at WAP each day (Family Day this week was especially bad, insiders say). That means hundreds of unnecessary employees have to be carried on payroll.
Expect the union to agree to real firings of absentee chronics to cut this payroll padding. The crackdown will send more TPTs home for good.
SUB is history. The Supplemental Unemployment Benefits program tops up Employment Insurance benefits for laid-off autoworkers to 85 per cent of regular gross pay. It's the Canadian equivalent of the Jobs Bank in the U.S., which is history as of last week.
COLA, the automatic wage increase that some CAW members think everyone else in society gets (most of us don't) will disappear in the new labour agreement, according to reports from Automotive News.
The $1,500 Christmas bonus? Gone. The vacation lump-sum buyout: history. SPA weeks: Cut.
You can see where this is going. Will the angrier members of Local 444 vote in favour of a bare bones contract? All over town, the militants are already threatening to vote No.
And then there's the biggest risk: convincing Ottawa to approve a bottomless bailout most taxpayers don't want to have anything to do with. That could be the hardest sell of all." Chris Vander Doelen

Back to reality - My Family's experience working in an auto plant - just one story :

Then on the other hand are workers like my brother, 35 years at the factory taking 2 sick days, early on he worked installing transmissions with a chain fall by hand, about 25 years latter, the robot assist system went down 3 hours into a shift, he took the initiative to leave his station, go down to the transmission area, showed them how to do it with a wheeled tool bench and a hand lift, saved sending home a shift of workers and production of over 200 vehicles. The result? The union made his life hell for his last years, the whole shift was pissed because without his 'interference' - they could have all gone home 5 hours early paid for a full shift and the company - they promised him a jacket - A JACKET! Which they never gave him. That's how it is, building Big 3 cars in North America. The man is retired now, bad elbow and wrist, screwed up shoulder, walks with a limp, all factory related and when he picks up his arthritis medicine, he asks for a generic to save the company money on the retiree drug plan. Some people never learn. Though I've got to say I'm proud of my brother. He took the job and did it right no matter how the union or company treated him. That's a kind of personal integrity I can respect.

xpensive
xpensive

When GM took over the Saab manufacturing plant in Sweden in the early nineties, even the appointed American CEO was staggered by an average absenteeism of some 20%. This was a combo of sick-leave, sick-child, maternity, paternity and whatever-leave, but that was one day a week lost anyway, go figure.

Belatti
Belatti

That happens everywhere. In my fathers restaurant, in the company I work for, people getting hurted and sick because of anything. Some time ago a guy was sent home by the plant doc because a fly hitted his eye when he was traveling by bus with the window opened. They called that an accident. I call that a p*ssy or a lazy bum. Carlos brother should be a common denominator, but he is an exception.

I personally think that Union is the same as politics, the delegates just goes to the plant to have some fun and make sure the pecking order remains the same.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Some of the reasons for GM's failings (in no particular order):

- Little to no long term R&D in years gone by. Contrary to redneck belief, deciding to further bore out an (already bored) engine for a SUV or pickup is not R&D. Now they've belatedly stumbled into the hybrid/electric market.

- Shockingly bad interior design

- Shockingly bad chassis design (encompassing suspension, transmission, brakes etc)

- Shockingly bad build quality through poor design

- Shockingly bad build quality through bad workmanship

- Hideously expensive wages (including wages paid today, and wages paid 20 years in the future)

- Concentration on a conservative market (linking to the first point)

In truth, GMs problems are reflective of the western world as a whole. Too much management that don't really know what they are doing, but can use buzz words and have law or management degrees. Not enough people are doing hard subjects in university these days, and the (western) world is filling up with blowhards that can talk shite instead.

Why are costs exploding? Because there are 10 layers of management telling engineers what they already know to do... but due to the wages of those 10 layers of management, the engineer is cost restricted compared to what s/he could accomplish.

I'm sure people will disagree with this... and their disagreement might be due to their background/profession.