Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

New RW and modified fins under the nose (red rectangle = Barcelone)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Monaco FP1

via @hlawiczka

Blackout

Finaly a very nice pic that shows how is the floor's leading edge behind the bargeboards. thx

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Very good Lotus pics coming.

Right click> view image

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 24 May 2012, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

nacho
nacho

I find it interesting that they are willing to sacrifice a whole practice to change the steering on the car once again. What's going on in that department, I sure would like to hear some insights.

Neno
Neno

nacho wrote:I find it interesting that they are willing to sacrifice a whole practice to change the steering on the car once again. What's going on in that department, I sure would like to hear some insights.
And it's not the first time this season they doing it.

xDama
xDama

nacho wrote:I find it interesting that they are willing to sacrifice a whole practice to change the steering on the car once again. What's going on in that department, I sure would like to hear some insights.
The main reason why they are having so much setup work on the front suspension and on the steering is because of Raikkonen' driving style. His style requires a very sensitive setup on input, but also on feedback of the steering. Raikkonen is still looking for the perfect setup on that department, and although they found a good solution to the previous problems, Monaco is a very special track for the suspension and steering setup.

I think Raikkonen immediately felt that the current setup wasn't working and switched to an alternate version.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

madly
madly

Rear view of Spain FW:

SRK
SRK

techF1LES

Isn't the only difference the angle of photos?

speedsense
speedsense

xDama wrote:
The main reason why they are having so much setup work on the front suspension and on the steering is because of Raikkonen' driving style. His style requires a very sensitive setup on input, but also on feedback of the steering. Raikkonen is still looking for the perfect setup on that department, and although they found a good solution to the previous problems, Monaco is a very special track for the suspension and steering setup.

I think Raikkonen immediately felt that the current setup wasn't working and switched to an alternate version.
With Monaco you have a very sharp hairpin. A normal road course steering rack most likely won't allow enough turning angle to turn inside of someone in the hairpin but rather just make the radius of the hairpin.

With formula atlantic cars at Long Beach and Trios Riverious (Quebec Canada) we had to change the rack to make passing possible allowing a smaller radius to be driven. A regular road course steering rack didn't have a tight enough radius.
This could be whats happening IMHO...
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

SRK
SRK

techF1LES wrote:
No doubt this is a different shape without lower external SITs.
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12mon1090.jpg

techF1LES

SRK wrote:
techF1LES wrote:
No doubt this is a different shape without lower external SITs.
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12mon1090.jpg
Yes, you are right. I was unable to notice any difference on previous pics, but now it is clear - lower leading edge of sidepod entry was definitely reshaped and covers lower SIT more smoothly. Or lower SITs are not there?

madly
madly

Good shot SRK!

Here we have similar angles for KR and RG sidepods. Right click - HQ photos.

RAI new sidepods:

GRO old sidepods:

Also note 3 new sponsors.

madly
madly

It is interesting, that E20 has very high ride height. Below some comparison to F2012 and MP4-27