2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Please all, under no circumstances feed the troll.

Replying now about Mexico..

Yeah its a higher DF config in part due to the altitude, but actual downforce and drag levels are closer to a track like Monza, so whether it suits us is up for debate.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Marc.W

I can't imagine they'll sit on the new floor now seemingly Ferrari have gotten on top of their car, it surely has to be on the car this weekend!

mwillems

Marc.W wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 19:31
I can't imagine they'll sit on the new floor now seemingly Ferrari have gotten on top of their car, it surely has to be on the car this weekend!
I'm sure their resurgence is a factor, but I guess they won't release it till it's ready.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:58
Just had a google, unless I'm mistaken, he only says "The next few races". But you'd hope and expect Mexico.
I was going to find you the article if you hadn’t already found it. I posted it on here on Saturday I think.

It’s not like they can sit and wait on the upgrade- there’s only 5 races to go!
Get it out asap. Mexico might be a bit too soon for a floor unless it is actually already in production, possibly Brazil. Houdley did say ‘upgrades’ plural so we might see something in Mexico and Brazil.

This triple header is going to be crucial and let’s be honest it’s not started off that great for McLaren. Yes there was some positives from the race but it was the first time in 15 races where we didn’t see a McLaren on the podium- their 14 hit streak run ended :(
Just a fan's point of view

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:53
Emag wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:52
Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:51
On another note now that's been established. Does Mclaren have a large package for Mexico?
They should have something, presumably a new floor and perhaps more to go with it. I think it was actually confirmed by Houdley, but you never know until you see it on-track.
Really, confirmed that upgrades will come to Mexico? I hadn't seen that.

Nice to hear that Mclaren have a big package, hopefully it will help us to perform well and go deep into the season. Can't say I rate Lando's chances of a WDC, in fact I'd say his chances are tiny, but I'm sure we'll all cheer for a happy ending if it comes.
Well they need to bring them sooner rather than later. McLaren's focus seems to have been on the constructors rather than the drivers title looking at the decisions taken over the course of the season. If Lando wins the championship it will be a miracle, but stranger things have happened. Yes he's made some mistakes, but he's done well to at least be in contention.

I hope the learning curve McLaren have been on this season pays off in 2025. They really need to have a car that's fast out of the gate. I didn't expect RB to drop off as much as they did, McLaren being able to capitalise on that was a great thing to see. Bodes well for the future.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Emag wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 10:12
https://i.imgur.com/Y3TI9Yt.png

Really weird first stint. Both McLaren's so slow but here it's Lando vs Leclerc vs Max.

Leclerc and Max both display a normal progression of pace. They start at a certain level, Leclerc a bit faster because he wants to break DRS. Then they both stabilize to a certain level of pace and from there their laptimes get progressively slower the deeper into the stint they go right until they pit.

Lando on the other hand, starts out with horrible performance, getting faster and faster as the stint progresses, until he too (not shown in this graph because it happened a couple of laps later), starts showing signs of tire wear and gets slower before he pits.

Other than those first 15 laps, Lando was on par or faster than Leclerc, discounting the laps stuck behind Max. Hard to gauge the second stint, because of the 5 lap tire delta, but I imagine without that it would have been on par with Leclerc.

Very bizarre car behavior. Perhaps some weird problem with taking too long to get the tires at the right operating window. Maybe an over-correction via the setup in a bid to try and improve the tire wear problems they saw in the sprint.

If it wasn't for that huge slump at the start, Lando would have overcut Max with pace alone, so it's frustrating that they couldn't get the car into the right window. The sprint format really screwed them because they did not hit the ground running from the get-go like RedBull and Ferrari did.
In the first stint, Piastri said on the radio that his graining cleared up around the time the car started lapping at the same pace as the leaders. It does seem like a problem getting into the window.