WEC 2024

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Sasha
Sasha

Re: WEC 2024

My gut feeling of Honda plans.

HRC America is running on ARX-06 in IMSA for 2025 to prepare for possible WEC in 2026/27.

A new chassis ( ARX-07) GTP( RWD) and Hypercar( AWD) versions.

New ICE( 3-4 L)

Could be with AM and Newey.( WEC)
A red H with green wings.
Just need James, James Bond 007. 😆 LoL

continuum16

Sasha wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 20:46

HRC America is running on ARX-06 in IMSA for 2025 to prepare for possible WEC in 2026/27.

New ICE( 3-4 L)

That would be good. Too good, even.

I highly doubt Honda is developing a new-from-scratch GTP/Hypercar. A friend of mine works with HRC US and indicated that the issue is, somewhat comically, that Honda don't want to simply rebadge the ARX-06 as a Honda and run in WEC, and instead they would rather not run WEC at all up to now. But apparently there has been a "modified" ARX-06 with a different (read: Honda) front end that has at least gone into the wind tunnel at some point. In IMSA they ran with WTR/Andretti, who wanted to go to Le Mans but Honda would not let them. That is a big reason, plus the fact that HRC could wield more influence over MSR, that MSR is back as the Acura/HRC IMSA entry while WTR has gone back to Cadillac, and I would expect them to run at Le Mans in 2025 with Caddy.

Long story short, if Honda is on the WEC grid in 2026 it will be in some form of ARX-06B with the current engine (scrapped Indycar engine I believe). Probably 50/50 chance at this point, although Toyota's expansion into almost every racing series (now with Haas partnership in F1, Supercars team in Australia, etc.) I think Honda will be more open to competing in WEC.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Sasha
Sasha

continuum16 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 17:52
Sasha wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 20:46

New ICE( 3-4 L)

That would be good. Too good, even.

I highly doubt Honda is developing a new-from-scratch GTP/Hypercar. A friend of mine works with HRC US and indicated that the issue is, somewhat comically, that Honda don't want to simply rebadge the ARX-06 as a Honda and run in WEC, and instead they would rather not run WEC at all up to now. But apparently there has been a "modified" ARX-06 with a different (read: Honda) front end that has at least gone into the wind tunnel at some point. In IMSA they ran with WTR/Andretti, who wanted to go to Le Mans but Honda would not let them. That is a big reason, plus the fact that HRC could wield more influence over MSR, that MSR is back as the Acura/HRC IMSA entry while WTR has gone back to Cadillac, and I would expect them to run at Le Mans in 2025 with Caddy.

Long story short, if Honda is on the WEC grid in 2026 it will be in some form of ARX-06B with the current engine (scrapped Indycar engine I believe). Probably 50/50 chance at this point, although Toyota's expansion into almost every racing series (now with Haas partnership in F1, Supercars team in Australia, etc.) I think Honda will be more open to competing in WEC.
I see that but there been rumors about the AM side project that the AM owners son stated Newey will be very interested in if he joined the team. Has Newey car ever won Le Mans 24?
I first thought it was the Valkyrie but was informed it was something new and something to do with Honda. They wasn't sure it will happen but said it would most likely will if Newey signs with AM.