2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

silver
silver

Spoutnik wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 07:28
That's a good photo of Marriott Absheron hotel and the backside entry of Ferrari suite. Where is he in that photo and what is he pushing when cars are in parc ferme and the garage should be in curfew?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

silver wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 07:41
Spoutnik wrote:
That's a good photo of Marriott Absheron hotel and the backside entry of Ferrari suite. Where is he in that photo and what is he pushing when cars are in parc ferme and the garage should be in curfew?
Working in the paddock with the engineers.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

silver wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Not every picture a person takes on their phone is a selfie. Especially when you're clearly trying to capture an image of your surroundings.

Who knows what he's doing. Maybe just came out a meeting. Maybe message him and ask.

Andi76
Andi76

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 23:29
It could be that the floor with zero-pods is more floppy than without, and the additional vibration it is subjected to forces the teams to use a draggier setting. There are too many variables. If we look at rival teams, yes Mercedes has failed to match its rivals, but McLaren hasn't. McLaren is clearly ahead of Alpine even though it had a dud start to the year.
In terms of the Constructors-Championship they are some points ahead. But i do not agree that they are ahead in general. Like you already said - they struggled a lot, while Alpines pace was better and more consistent. So - i would say that Alpine, in general, was better in the first few races. This may has change now, but McLaren clearly was not as consistent and fast as they were last year. They made a step backwards. Last year they fought for P3 with Ferrari and they were clearly ahead of teams like Alpine, Alfa, Alpha, Aston Martin and Haas. This year these teams are the ones they have to fight with. So i think its a fact that they do worse than last year.

xaero
xaero

silver wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Finding fault in anything and everything :lol:
We need a miracle. We need only one racing lap.

silver
silver

Yet another superb performance by Russell! A faultless race to podium, although came due to Ferrari misfortune. But he was there for it.

PlatinumZealot

Very good job by George. He is hungry!
Lewis great drive also. Startegic in his pace management. That was an awful sight though, seeing a driver crying for back pains and finidng it difficult to get out of the car. It could be posturing to get the FIA president to notice it though! But we need to really modify this formula.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

organic

silver wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 14:49
Yet another superb performance by Russell! A faultless race to podium, although came due to Ferrari misfortune. But he was there for it.
Impressive from both drivers. Hamilton made an excellent (and brave given Ocon put him into the wall last time they fought) move on Ocon and maximized his race despite how uncomfortable the car was. Anyone got a clip of him getting out of the car?

cplchanb
cplchanb

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 14:57
silver wrote:
Impressive from both drivers. Hamilton made an excellent (and brave given Ocon put him into the wall last time they fought) move on Ocon and maximized his race despite how uncomfortable the car was. Anyone got a clip of him getting out of the car?

adrianjordan

cplchanb wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:56
organic wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 14:57
silver wrote:
That is simply difficult to watch. It honestly would not surprise me if he has to sit out Canada. You simply can't heal from even a minor back injury in 5 days and the risks of it becoming a long term, even potentially career ending, injury are high.

Either that or Mercedes are going to have to do something, whether sacrifice ride height or add weight in the form of padding.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

wesley123
wesley123

Andi76 wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 21:03
Its race-nr. 8 now. So its almost 8 different tracks i draw my conclusions from. But anyway - lets take a lot at Barcelona and the arguements :
And exactly one race with a fixed floor, and the car performed much better all of a sudden at THE aero track of the season. So yes, you are sourcing your conclusions on exactly one occasion.
There is no conclusion needed to say that Zeropod design has a drag problem. Toto Wolf said it in public. In every single race at the beginning of the season he said they have too much drag...and sorry, i will not even comment the sentence "drag problems not really being a thing in F1 due to the power these cars have". This is good news for aerodynamicists as L/D numbers have no importance any more and maximum downforce is all they have to focus on from now. Come on....you know this is...but you obviously do not know that the 1000 bhp is the overall power of the system. But they do not have this power all the time. In 2003, when BMW and Ferrari had 920-940 bhp, cars were probably had power as they had this power all the time. And drag was very important back then....
You are talking about open wheelers with a barn door rear wing. These cars are extremely draggy to begin with. Drag isn't a concern because of the nature of an open wheeled car, and the extra drag that you might have due to your aero philosophy can easily be tuned out by wing angles.

So no, drag isn't as much of a concern in F1. You have seriously, seriously messed up if you have built a car that is so draggy that it can't be overcome with setup changes.
Also all the other teams knowing Barcelona very well, too, does not cancel it out that a team with better engineers and driver performs better than another team with less talented drivers and engineers.
That extends to everything ever and is just a cop-out for your flawed argument.

And this cop-out has a incredible flaw; there are 3 "best" teams. Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes are all above the rest of the field by a decent margin. So knowing this, the gap between the 3 would have stayed the same. And this wasn't the case.
You basically say that there is no difference between teams and drivers in F1, what is just horribly wrong. What you also know exactly if you just think a millisecond about it.
I did not say that, nor even imply such a thing.
Anyway, its obvious Mercedes has more than one fundamental issue with the car.
And to be honest - who has not realised that zero-pods have more than a few problems - is far from reality. Its just two obvious. With 8 races almost, and only one with an acceptable performance - a car like that definetely has not a "good concept".
It's always great to read this. A car is performing worse so the issue with the car has to be its differentiating feature.
but the zero-pods are second with aerodyamics just wrong for the ground effect cars.
And yet, the car fared much better relatively on THE aero track on the calendar.
Zero pods are reducing floor-edge vortices as their intakes go all the way down to the floor.
This presumes that this can't be overcome by, let's say, vortex generators in front of the inlet.

Then we also have the SIS fairing and aerodynamic elements. It is fair to assume that the team uses this to overcome some of the issue surrounding the lack of undercut.
Pressurisation zone under the sidepod inlets, protruding forwards, "feeding" the floor are missing, too, because of the same reason.
I'm certain the SIS fairing and (lack of) topside of the sidepod will overcome this.
The massive floor area will always make more trouble with bouncing and overall performance
I think this significantly simplifies the aerodynamics. Other than rigidity there is little reason to assume that having floor area available won't bring performance gains.
So i conclude with - 8 races almost and the car is far from being good on most tracks. Teams with similar concepts also went down the pecking order. Teams with "different comcepts" improved. There can be no discussion about this.
It's so incredibly simplified and completely ignores the complexity of the cars themselves.
Also all teams had "micropods" and zeropods are just an evolution of this very concept. And there is a reason why almost every team went away from that. And this alone says everything about zeropod-concept. Its wrong and Mercedes just got the new regulary totally wrong. That is something that can happen. Its easy to go down a wrong path. The leading team often does not want to take big risks. Thats also the reason why big regulation changes often end a teams era of sucess. This happened to Ferrari in 2005. It was not only the tyres. They went for maximum downforce when aerodynamic efficiency was the way to go. As Ferrari corrected their mistake in 2006, Mercedes will in 2023 and we will not see zeropods next year.
Let's put it the other way around; If this direction is bad and so clearly worse, then how come they introduced their zeropods? It would obviously show it isn't the way to go in CFD and the windtunnel. It seems really weird to introduce something when you know it wont work, especially with the issues you faced at the first test.

What makes it even more weird is that this team that has limited resources is then spending these resources on actually reprofiling this flawed design to match the updated floor. To add to it, it's weird that they add updates to the sidepod and surrounding aerodynamic devices knowing it is a flawed concept.

The fact that this team, that won 15 of the 16 titles the past 8 seasons, spends the limited resources they have on updates surrounding the sidepods shows how flawed the argumentation against the sidepods really is. There are some very smart people on this forum, but I can't help but think that a team that dominated F1 the past 8 seasons has a better idea on what they are doing than we do.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Do you think that the active suspension could return ?
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

hollus

So, that message from Hamilton about his seat "Going cold".

It could be a coded message for something mechanical, of course, but does it look like it could be his nerves starting to lose sensitivity from all the porpoising? Did he elaborate on that after the race? The porpoising was bad enough to be very, very audible (how something smashed the asphalt, I suppose) in the onboards.
Also, are he and George sitting in the same position? Probably one is more horizontal than the other? Is that a factor?
Rivals, not enemies.

ringo

I feel the formula need to be reversed. Last year had better racing. Or the regs can keep today's wings, but go back to flat bottomed floors with big diffusers. The aim is allowing the cars to follow. I am sure that can be done without a ground effect car.

For this year maybe Mercedes can try a padded suspension seat, similar to what is done with forklifts and other equipment with poor suspension.
For Sure!!