Exhaust heat recovery

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

On a post WW2 aircraft anti-submarine hunter, the Canadair Argus, it had a novel approach to maximizing power at low altitudes. Each engine (Wright R-3350 TC981 EA-1 Turbo Compound, 3,700 hp) had three turbines (PRT . power recovery turbine) to capture the exhaust and convert it into mechanical energy, feeding the torque back into the crankshaft.

Fiero Brick
Fiero Brick

I know that this is an older thread, but I felt the need to comment on Smokey Yunick's "hot vapor cycle engine" as I have seen the car, engine, homogenizer parts, etc., first hand.

As much respect as I have for that crafty devil, I do not believe the engine ever actually produced 250 horsepower. The mileage figure I can swallow, but due to the restrictions some of the parts imposed upon the intake, the heat shed into the intake charge (with no evidence of any sort of bypass for keeping the charge cool under high load), and the lack of evident modifications that would be necessary for the extremely weak block to hold up to any substantial power. The owner of the vehicle has no intentions of restoring it to full function with Smokey's system installed or putting it on a dynamometer. The car will run, but none of the homogenizer is plumbed in or functional. For all I could tell when it was running, it seemed like a typical, if particularly sluggish, Fiero iron duke.

Off topic: this forum is great, I think it might just be the most interesting automotive forum or information source I've come across. I've spent a large portion of the last three days reading threads and expanding my general knowledge of automotive engineering. I think it just might be the only thing that has made me actually want to have a greater grasp of mathematics since I was 13. And I've spent every year since then struggling with (high school) or avoiding (college) it entirely.

Ciro Pabón

Well, FieroBrick, extremely welcome to this forum, man.

I can identify myself with your point of view: I can stand mathematics and, if I don't HAVE to study them, I can actually enjoy them the way you enjoy vegetable soup: you take it because it's hot, it's good for your stomach and for your health, but not because you prefer it to chocolate ice cream. I always say that if photocopiers (to get my partners class notes) and calculators (to deal a little with mathematics) weren't invented, I hadn't got my degree... :)

About Mr. Yunick invention, well, I normally try to find out what is coming out of the pipeline, but as anything in mechanics, not until it works and it sells, you think the thing is finished. Thanks for the input, nothing like a hands-on opinion.
Ciro

flynfrog

Fiero Brick wrote:I know that this is an older thread, but I felt the need to comment on Smokey Yunick's "hot vapor cycle engine" as I have seen the car, engine, homogenizer parts, etc., first hand.

As much respect as I have for that crafty devil, I do not believe the engine ever actually produced 250 horsepower. The mileage figure I can swallow, but due to the restrictions some of the parts imposed upon the intake, the heat shed into the intake charge (with no evidence of any sort of bypass for keeping the charge cool under high load), and the lack of evident modifications that would be necessary for the extremely weak block to hold up to any substantial power. The owner of the vehicle has no intentions of restoring it to full function with Smokey's system installed or putting it on a dynamometer. The car will run, but none of the homogenizer is plumbed in or functional. For all I could tell when it was running, it seemed like a typical, if particularly sluggish, Fiero iron duke.

Off topic: this forum is great, I think it might just be the most interesting automotive forum or information source I've come across. I've spent a large portion of the last three days reading threads and expanding my general knowledge of automotive engineering. I think it just might be the only thing that has made me actually want to have a greater grasp of mathematics since I was 13. And I've spent every year since then struggling with (high school) or avoiding (college) it entirely.

Why i have no proof that it did put out 250hp it wasnt so much he was running lots of boost like a turbo engine he was simply making the engine lose less energy through heat.

If you add up what that engine was losing in heat before and after we would know the answer.

Fiero Brick
Fiero Brick

Thanks for the welcome!
flynfrog wrote:
Why i have no proof that it did put out 250hp it wasnt so much he was running lots of boost like a turbo engine he was simply making the engine lose less energy through heat.

If you add up what that engine was losing in heat before and after we would know the answer.
How? There isn't a system in place for that engine that would actually capture and utilize the lost heat, except in such a way as to improve fuel economy by making the intake charge less dense through preheating. However, the process used to improve fuel economy is extremely detrimental to engine life and reliable power production.

Like I said, I can believe the mileage claims. A Fiero with the 2.5 liter i4 iron duke and the economy geared 4 speed can already get mileage in the high 30's. I just don't think an engine with 500*F intake temperatures can produce 100 horsepower/liter without melting its pistons and exhaust valves. I think Smokey was just making an estimate about the power it could potentially produce, assuming he figured out how to keep the engine from eating itself.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It may very well be possible that the Fiero produced 250hp with the 2.5 liter i4, but I don't recall hearing/reading anything about long term reliability or durability. So it maybe produced such figures, but the engine didn't last too long, as that wasn't the focus of the project at hand. So whether it "melted its pistons and exhaust valves" or not, it wasn't of much importance at that point in time.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Carlos
Carlos

It was a test engine not a production prototype and until someone builds and test this technology, I'll give Smokey Yunick the benefit of the doubt on both mileage and horsepower figures. The guy was a good ole genius. :wink:

Here's Ted68's link to about 10 articles on Yunicks HVCE Adiabetic Hot Vapour Cycle Engine.
http://schou.dk/hvce/

Look back in the thread and he gives links to the patents.
I miss Ted68...wonder what hes up to . The guy was sharp. Moved to Florida and we never heard from him again. Must be a great living on the beach :wink:
Drop us a line Ted68...You have been missed.

flynfrog

Fiero Brick wrote:Thanks for the welcome!
flynfrog wrote:

How? There isn't a system in place for that engine that would actually capture and utilize the lost heat, except in such a way as to improve fuel economy by making the intake charge less dense through preheating. However, the process used to improve fuel economy is extremely detrimental to engine life and reliable power production.

Like I said, I can believe the mileage claims. A Fiero with the 2.5 liter i4 iron duke and the economy geared 4 speed can already get mileage in the high 30's. I just don't think an engine with 500*F intake temperatures can produce 100 horsepower/liter without melting its pistons and exhaust valves. I think Smokey was just making an estimate about the power it could potentially produce, assuming he figured out how to keep the engine from eating itself.
If i remember correctly the intake charge was still about the same density the differnece was that the fuel did not have to heat up from 36 F to 1600F it came in at 400F those wasting less power to heat the fuel.

The "homoginizer" (turbo) did not allow the fuel to change state and kept the fuel well mixed and thus preventing predetination and helping to control the burn

NickT

I have read through this thread and the patent and found both really quite absorbing. I also read recently in Race Engine Technology about a Dual Swirl Port engine being developed by Marcovicci-Wenz Engineering and that achieved some significant improvements to drivability, power and response well below the engine's normal torque curve. In addition to this it could produce the same power as a conventional engine with camshafts with less extreme duration and lift. I couldn't find a link to the specific project but I did find this one http://www.engine-expo.com/05engine_con ... /stowe.pdf that explains things just as well.

What is the point I hear you ask? The significant improvements in low to medium speed torque were achieved by better cylinder filling and vastly superior charge mixing two things that Smokie claimed his system did. While I feel his claims may have been a little optimistic, to dismiss his work out of hand would be fool hardy, just because an idea doesn't conform to the recognised or established norm doesn't make it invalid it just makes it different.

Its a real shame the views of the man himself cannot be included in this forum discussion. I for one would love to have had the opportunity to work with the guy to better understand his ideas.
NickT

Ciro Pabón

Just a photo to show how far could Yunick's incredible out of the box thinking go...

About the 250 HP, two cylinders engine, well, Mr. Yunick was famous for his BS on track, that's why some people find the claims about the engine hard to believe.

He is the guy that allegedly built a car to 7/8 scale: apparently that's the reason why NASCAR have templates for cars.

According to legend, when Mr. Yunick's car was disqualified for 16th time, he got tired of being punished and took the car out of the inspection area to drive it to his garage ("The best damn garage in town"), retiring from the competition. He did it while the car's fuel tank was still sitting in the inspection area. His departing comment? "Make it 17"... :lol:

I read that the Fiero is in the hands of Tony Allers, in Hendersonville, Tenesse (or so says The Tennessean):

Maybe somebody can visit and convince him to take the dyno test. :)
Ciro

Fiero Brick
Fiero Brick

I think reliability is a perfectly valid point on which to be critical of any engine, prototype or not. What would you say if I claimed to have car that got 60 miles per gallon and produced 500 horsepower, and it turned out that I had stuck a 450 shot of N2O on a 250cc motorbike engine?

About pre-heating to improve vaporization of the fuel, yes, that could improve fuel economy. However, I remain doubtful that low boost and a dramatically heated intake charge, in spite of much improved fuel atomization, will cause a 100 horsepower engine to become a 250 horsepower engine without nuking itself. A typical turbocharger setup on such an engine would require something north of 2.5 bar (22 psi above atmospheric) to produce 250 horsepower.
NickT wrote: Its a real shame the views of the man himself cannot be included in this forum discussion. I for one would love to have had the opportunity to work with the guy to better understand his ideas.
That's something I can agree with you on. I would worry about having my motorsports ethics corrupted from close contact, though. :D

I think I'll hold off replying to this thread until someone can explain how the engine could produce 250 horsepower in a way that jives with my understanding of the internal combustion engine. If you change my understanding of the internal combustion engine, I guess that would work, too.

Fiero Brick
Fiero Brick

Okay, I'm going back on my word already.

Ciro, that fellow is indeed the current owner of the car and Smokey's system. I met him at the Fiero Factory swap meet in Toney, Alabama in the spring of this year. Like I said, Smokey's system is no longer attached to the engine, and he didn't want to reinstall/repair it so that it could be put on a dyno or tested. I think he's mainly worried about damaging what remains of Smokey's HVCE parts. I can't blame him, really.

Sometimes I wonder if he had a chance to actually enjoy the swap meet between all the requests to have the car put on a dynomometer. :?

flynfrog

Fiero Brick wrote:I think reliability is a perfectly valid point on which to be critical of any engine, prototype or not. What would you say if I claimed to have car that got 60 miles per gallon and produced 500 horsepower, and it turned out that I had stuck a 450 shot of N2O on a 250cc motorbike engine?

About pre-heating to improve vaporization of the fuel, yes, that could improve fuel economy. However, I remain doubtful that low boost and a dramatically heated intake charge, in spite of much improved fuel atomization, will cause a 100 horsepower engine to become a 250 horsepower engine without nuking itself. A typical turbocharger setup on such an engine would require something north of 2.5 bar (22 psi above atmospheric) to produce 250 horsepower.
NickT wrote: Its a real shame the views of the man himself cannot be included in this forum discussion. I for one would love to have had the opportunity to work with the guy to better understand his ideas.
That's something I can agree with you on. I would worry about having my motorsports ethics corrupted from close contact, though. :D

I think I'll hold off replying to this thread until someone can explain how the engine could produce 250 horsepower in a way that jives with my understanding of the internal combustion engine. If you change my understanding of the internal combustion engine, I guess that would work, too.
stop thinking of it as making 150 more hp think of it as not losing 150 hp

if a normal engine is putting out 20hp 80hp is going to waste heat so if you can not waste some of that heat you will in the end make more power.

he worked on the system for over 40 years, the end systems here very reliable and drivable. I see no reason he would lie.

Its prety much the same thing chrysler was doing in there turbine cars with teh recovery turbines.

or the same thing that power plants do with secondary turbines you are getting more power out of your fuel.

Once agin I have no proof that this engine made its claimed power. But i would be willing to bet that it has hundreds of hours of dyno time on it and smokey generally knew what he was doing.

Reading some stuff in "best damn garage in town. Induction pressures were over 25 psi right in line with your estimate to make 250 hp

The intake was heated to about 200 form the coolant then 300-375 by the exasat the homogenizer ran about a half psi of pressure to keep things flowing in the right direction after the homogenizer there was a check heater and some check valves to prevent the now super heated air from flowing back wards basically a a turbo using waste heat instead of pressure.

riff_raff
riff_raff

There are devices called thermoelectric generators, that convert exhaust heat directly into electricity. However, they are relatively inefficient (<10%).

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesand ... rbanks.pdf
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

flynfrog

Ciro Pabón wrote:Just a photo to show how far could Yunick's incredible out of the box thinking go...

Image:)
[IMG:800:600]http://www.lazyforums.net/uploadfiles/P ... dium)_.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:600]http://www.lazyforums.net/uploadfiles/P ... dium)_.jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:600]http://www.lazyforums.net/uploadfiles/P ... edium).jpg[/img]
[IMG:800:600]http://www.lazyforums.net/uploadfiles/P ... ium)__.jpg[/img]

had to add a few pics I took at the indy museum