2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Not a good Q3 compared to Q1 and Q2 but he is a rookie and it's normal not to be as fast yet. Lando is the one who should have no excuses in his 5th year.

SilviuAgo

Ben1980 wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:59
SilviuAgo wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:55
organic wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:48
Possible penalties for verstappen, russell, hamilton mean pole is still very attainable
Haha...with this P8 for the moment we need 7 penalty to have pole 😂😂😂 Sorry to say for some of McL fans from here..but Oscar is not at Lando's level for the moment. Lando is making some mistakes but is McL driver no 1.
Not sure anyone seriously thinks Oscar is at Landos level yet. But, he has potential. But, notva great q3.
Yup...except Russell Oscar had better time only than Alfa Romeo guys. Seems to be a weekend to forget for McLaren.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Good job by Oscar doing what is asked of a rookie. I can't say the same about his teammate.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:32
mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:26
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2023, 23:24
The car is fast enough to be close to Verstappen as Piastri's time proved. It was the mistakes of Norris that costed him today.
Vertstappen would be half a second further quicker than his own time if he'd run at the same time as Piastri.
And yet Piastri magically is less than 2 tenths. It's obvious we can't yet match the faster Red Bull but I believe we are close.
This aged well.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:03
Not a good Q3 compared to Q1 and Q2 but he is a rookie and it's normal not to be as fast yet. Lando is the one who should have no excuses in his 5th year.
Be serious, Alonso is in his 25th year 🤭🤭 and still made a huge mistake this qualy. This can happen and we can not change anything now.

mwillems

blastdoman wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:04
Good job by Oscar doing what is asked of a rookie. I can't say the same about his teammate.
Give it a rest, we know he messed up. Sensible discussion is fine but using every opportunity to bash people whilst adding nothing constructive is just trolling.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Do t think he has any excuses, he made a mistake, then got caught by yellow flag. It can happen.

CjC
CjC

SilviuAgo wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:05
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Be serious, Alonso is in his 25th year 🤭🤭 and still made a huge mistake this qualy. This can happen and we can not change anything now.
Was it a mistake or did he know a yellow would seriously stiff Lando and McLaren at that moment in time?
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

If you think of it the car is hard to drive and both drivers have to adapt or sacrifice some of their talent to get it on the limit. Verstappen doesnt have that problem as his car is much easier to drive. When the car improves so will the drivers able to get more of their speed out as I know they can give us more.

SilviuAgo

mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:06
blastdoman wrote:
Give it a rest, we know he messed up. Sensible discussion is fine but using every opportunity to bash people whilst adding nothing constructive is just trolling.
Maybe some of the guys blaming Lando now are same that were celebrating for last 4 or 5 races Lando's podiums. Not to forget that in Bahrain we were out in Q1 "on merit" and now we arw pushing like hell this guys to take pole or win. Take a brake, we are not happy with this Q1 exit but move on. Anyone can make mistakes, but it easy to speak from the couch with a beer in front 😄

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:08
If you think of it the car is hard to drive and both drivers have to adapt or sacrifice some of their talent to get it on the limit. Verstappen doesnt have that problem as his car is much easier to drive. When the car improves so will the drivers able to get more of their speed out as I know they can give us more.
That cars not hard to drive. I'm sure it's a lot easier than the car pre Austria, or even the last year.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
It happens, it's on the team too for how horribly they ran that session (also FP3 too, what was the need to use two new sets of softs? surely can't have helped that much with learning) Now what has no excuses is taking an engine pen on Lando's side, this is the perfect opportunity and I will be thoroughly disappointed if they don't do it.

blastdoman
blastdoman

mwillems wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
The thing is, I'm burned out and quite disappointed with Lando's work in this year's qualys. He is supposed to be at a level close to Max's and has made many mistakes this year. Errors that are not up to par with a driver of his quality and salary.

Darth-Piekus

SilviuAgo wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:10

Maybe some of the guys blaming Lando now are same that were celebrating for last 4 or 5 races Lando's podiums. Not to forget that in Bahrain we were out in Q1 "on merit" and now we arw pushing like hell this guys to take pole or win. Take a brake, we are not happy with this Q1 exit but move on. Anyone can make mistakes, but it easy to speak from the couch with a beer in front 😄
Well one mistake won't make Lando not being my favorite Mclaren driver yet. Oscar still has some way to go to be top that is true. I believe both drivers still have more potential to unleash but the car being hard to drive limits them. The car is definately easier to drive than pre Austria's car but according to Lando it still has it's hardness. Im hoping next year with the car being easier to drive we can see them getting more speed out.

mwillems

SilviuAgo wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:10
mwillems wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
I'm one of the people that thinks he makes a few too many mistakes in Q, I just don't get some of the discourse.

Landos great. But we are moving towards the very front and we can't afford these mistakes from next year.

I've no interest in defending him or attacking him. Just to point out that if it continues it will have implications in a title year.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Oct 2023, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit