2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

blastdoman wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:12
mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:06
blastdoman wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:04
Good job by Oscar doing what is asked of a rookie. I can't say the same about his teammate.
Give it a rest, we know he messed up. Sensible discussion is fine but using every opportunity to bash people whilst adding nothing constructive is just trolling.
The thing is, I'm burned out and quite disappointed with Lando's work in this year's qualys. He is supposed to be at a level close to Max's and has made many mistakes this year. Errors that are not up to par with a driver of his quality and salary.
Perhaps treat yourself to a Spa weekend. Get some you time. Relax. Unwind. You deserve it, probably.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

[quote=blastdoman post_id=1170546 time=1698531169 user_id=42551]
[quote=mwillems post_id=1170534 time=1698530812 user_id=36048]
[quote=blastdoman post_id=1170525 time=1698530653 user_id=42551]
Good job by Oscar doing what is asked of a rookie. I can't say the same about his teammate.
[/quote]

Give it a rest, we know he messed up. Sensible discussion is fine but using every opportunity to bash people whilst adding nothing constructive is just trolling.
[/quote]

The thing is, I'm burned out and quite disappointed with Lando's work in this year's qualys. He is supposed to be at a level close to Max's and has made many mistakes this year. Errors that are not up to par with a driver of his quality and salary.
[/quote]

Your disappointed with 4,2,3,7,2,9,4,3,10,2.?

Maybe a few extra places over all could have been gained, but that's pretty good results. But, if that disapoints you, you may need to temper your expectations.

Darth-Piekus

Indeed. Ferrari is very close and they will fix their tyre problems. Mercedes is also not that far and they will be able to bounce back to front. As Mclaren is targeting P1 with the new facilities which are the most updated ones of the field all the team needs to do is make one less mistake than the rest and get as many points as possible when others falter.

Ben1980
Ben1980

blastdoman wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:30
Nothing guys. Lando is doing a great work in qualifyings. All you have to do is listen to him in the post qualifying press conferences. They are celebrations similar to those of any birthday. Do you want to read this? Ok.
As you can see from his qualifying results, with around 70% top 2 rows since Austrua, his qualifying is pretty good. Bar Max, he's probably been the most consisten over those 11 qualifying sessions.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I missed quali, does anyone know why the team made him box and didn't let him set a banker? Did the car have a problem? Would that lap have been enough to go through?

I have a feeling they effed up the setup too, he seemed uncomfortable with the car in fp3

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:39
blastdoman wrote:
Nothing guys. Lando is doing a great work in qualifyings. All you have to do is listen to him in the post qualifying press conferences. They are celebrations similar to those of any birthday. Do you want to read this? Ok.
As you can see from his qualifying results, with around 70% top 2 rows since Austrua, his qualifying is pretty good. Bar Max, he's probably been the most consisten over those 11 qualifying sessions.
We've had some good Qualy results. That doesn't mean that in two of those Qualy he didn't have two big blunders which in a big season would costs big points? It doesn't mean that in those weekends that he qualifies a few places further back than he should, but still top 4 or 5, that it might not ruin his chances of fighting with Max for the win?

Those numbers look great in the context of this year, but they won't in the context of next year if the car is a little closer to RB than it is now. And not in the context of having the second fastest car Since Austria this year. And not in the context of being beaten by Oscar in Qualifying over the last 8 races. Whilst the race finishes have got us back up to where we should be, the Qualy hasn't always helped. And dropping huge places by not setting a lap in Q3 or not getting out of Q1 will be massive next year if we are fighting for the title.

You can call all the mistakes acceptable if you want and say that it is fine because of X, Y or Z, but in the reality he is here to bring the title to Mclaren, and he is getting the fourth highest Salary on the grid to do it. And after 5 years I want to see more consistency in getting the best out of the car in Q. I don't want to temper those expectations, I don't want to think like Williams, we are aiming for championships. And since the summer break he is second in Qualifying to his teammate who has yet to complete his first year.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Oct 2023, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:59
Ben1980 wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
We've had some good Qualy results. That doesn't mean that in two of those Qualy he didn't have two big blunders which in a big season would costs big points? It doesn't mean that in those weekends that he qualified a few places further back than he should, but still top 4 or 5, that it didn't ruin his chances of fighting with Max for the win?

Those numbers look great in the context of this year, but they won't in the context of next year if the car is a little closer to RB than it is now. And not in the context of having the second fastest car Since Austria this year. Whilst the race finishes have got us back up to where we should be, the Qualy hasn't always helped. And dropping huge places by not setting a lap in Q3 or not getting out of Q1 will be massive next year if we are fighting for the title.

You can call all the mistakes acceptable if you want and say that it is fine because of X, Y or Z, but in the reality he is here to bring the title to Mclaren, and he is getting the fourth highest Salary on the grid to do it. And after 5 years I want to see more consistency in getting the best out of the car in Q. I don't want to temper those expectations, I don't want to think like Williams, we are aiming for championships.
I'm only looking at the context of this year, in fact only looking at post Austria. Its pointless guessing it on next year or the year after.

He's qualifying results since Austria have been remarkably consistent.

Next year, they may not be, or they may be, or we may not have a car to get top 2 rows.

Has he been perfect, nope. Has he been very good, yep.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 01:11
mwillems wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:59
Ben1980 wrote:

We've had some good Qualy results. That doesn't mean that in two of those Qualy he didn't have two big blunders which in a big season would costs big points? It doesn't mean that in those weekends that he qualified a few places further back than he should, but still top 4 or 5, that it didn't ruin his chances of fighting with Max for the win?

Those numbers look great in the context of this year, but they won't in the context of next year if the car is a little closer to RB than it is now. And not in the context of having the second fastest car Since Austria this year. Whilst the race finishes have got us back up to where we should be, the Qualy hasn't always helped. And dropping huge places by not setting a lap in Q3 or not getting out of Q1 will be massive next year if we are fighting for the title.

You can call all the mistakes acceptable if you want and say that it is fine because of X, Y or Z, but in the reality he is here to bring the title to Mclaren, and he is getting the fourth highest Salary on the grid to do it. And after 5 years I want to see more consistency in getting the best out of the car in Q. I don't want to temper those expectations, I don't want to think like Williams, we are aiming for championships.
I'm only looking at the context of this year, in fact only looking at post Austria. Its pointless guessing it on next year or the year after.

He's qualifying results since Austria have been remarkably consistent.

Next year, they may not be, or they may be, or we may not have a car to get top 2 rows.

Has he been perfect, nope. Has he been very good, yep.
But the point being made time and again is that this is OK this year, but is not OK for next year, and I made that point in our previous discussions. If you choose to ignore that I can't really say much more to you, because this year was never the context put forward, if you want to ignore the risks for next year then that is your choice of course.

Regarding not having a car for the top two rows..
1) We had a car second only to Max for a while now (In the main), not even the second RB driver could touch us by and large, and we couldn't Max the potential in Q. In race we are much closer, but not in Q.
2) We can't say not doing a great job in Q next year might be OK because the car might not be that great. I want him to get the most out of the car consistently, whether the most is 5th or 1st.

I would like to think this will suddenly stop and everything will improve, but in terms of bringing a title to this team, these Qualy performances will not be a positive in that effort.

Lando is great, I have no qualms with his racing, but we are a title chasing team, and title chasing teams need to deliver the best for the majority of the season with the smallest number of mistakes. "Bleeding Papaya" is not a reason for it to be otherwise in my view, but I'm sure others may feel different. Like I say, if we get to the heat of a title battle and this happens, I expect a lot more frustration that we hear now and I understand why in the context of this year people are less concerned.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

I really don't care for next season, I'm not basing anything on next season. That's just guesswork.

Obviously if he is in a tight battles and makes too many mistakes it will impact his points total. But, next year, Mercedes may improve, Ferrari may improve. Its not beyond tge realm of possibilities. We aren't far and away better than them both as it is.

All I'm saying is, while lando hasn't been perfect, he has been consistently very good. Maybe he needs to better to win, maybe he will be, maybe not. No idea.

Just celebrate what he has achieved, which is basically 2nd best since Austria. He's been pretty good.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 01:29
I really don't care for next season, I'm not basing anything on next season. That's just guesswork.

Obviously if he is in a tight battles and makes too many mistakes it will impact his points total. But, next year, Mercedes may improve, Ferrari may improve. Its not beyond tge realm of possibilities. We aren't far and away better than them both as it is.

All I'm saying is, while lando hasn't been perfect, he has been consistently very good. Maybe he needs to better to win, maybe he will be, maybe not. No idea.

Just celebrate what he has achieved, which is basically 2nd best since Austria. He's been pretty good.
There's no guesswork involved. Getting the most out of the car is relative and we don't need to know what the car does next year, just that the main driver is struggling to do so now in Qualy.

I celebrate what he has achieved also, I can do that and notice where he struggles too, like everyone does with the car when talking about work to do on low speed corners. Lando is not a protected species and is here to be looked at with an open mind as is everything else in F1.

I may be mistaken but it seems that your responses are more about just ignoring faults and risks because he's good at something else (Race pace), ignoring mistakes because the car has had an upturn, and ignoring the fact that he needs to be good at all the stuff to win the title (Because he might not get the chance), and ignoring the fact that it could be very close to being a title winning car (Because we don't know), because the team have improved massively and we're all on a high right now so why care if anything that isn't working right now might hold us back in the future if we have a good car... If we don't know how good the car might be next year, why care? Hmm, we can agree to disagree at this point.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Oct 2023, 02:11, edited 5 times in total.

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

These kinds of let downs from Norris are annoying.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dafnalina wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 00:55
I missed quali, does anyone know why the team made him box and didn't let him set a banker? Did the car have a problem? Would that lap have been enough to go through?

I have a feeling they effed up the setup too, he seemed uncomfortable with the car in fp3
Didn't he have a huge moment in the esses?
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 01:37
Dafnalina wrote:

I think that in Q1 his runplan was

out at start with others with mediums, but told to box. Norris did not know why in post-quali interview

out on softs with 5mins to go fueled to run to the end, huge moment through the esses which he catches. So has to go for final attempt with used softs but yellow flag ruins it

mwillems

organic wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 01:40
AR3-GP wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 01:37
Dafnalina wrote:

I think that in Q1 his runplan was

out at start with others with mediums, but told to box. Norris did not know why in post-quali interview

out on softs with 5mins to go fueled to run to the end, huge moment through the esses which he catches. So has to go for final attempt with used softs but yellow flag ruins it
There was never going to be a meaningful lap on Mediums, and because of the way the track was evolving, then even if the first Q1 lap was on softs , it was still a one lap shootout on the second Q1 lap.

-Bandit

organic

Agreed the mediums were never enough to make it through

At least there is an easy decision to take a new engine now.