2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2024 Visa Cash App RB Team

djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 05:36
JPower wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 05:28
djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 01:18

It's also quite possible the RB has excellent 1 lap pace and average race pace - that said, with a decent car, Daniel has always been a beast in qually!
Has he? I wouldn't count qualifying as one of his strengths.
Look at his junior career, he usually won his races from Pole. He had 33 Poles (not including karting) and 28 wins, that's an 84% conversion rate. In F1 he has 3 poles and 8 wins - amazingly, most of those were not starting from pole.

Plus these comments from Jos back that up.
find it very difficult to say. I do think maybe he learnt the most from Daniel Ricciardo, a nice peer he got on very well with. Max was a young guy then and Ricciardo really good, a qualifying beast.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jos-max-v ... -ricciardo
Also many people are just taking into account his stint at McLaren and not looking at his whole career especially in a car that suits him. Look at 2020 at Renault, he drove the wheels off that thing designed heavily around his input and driving style. Hoping this RB car suits him as well he said already last year how comfortable this car felt compared to the odd handling McLaren.

diffuser

The question that needs answering is "is Ricciardo still the driver he once was or is the Ricciardo that drove for McLaren permanent?"

JPower
JPower

djos wrote:
Look at his junior career, he usually won his races from Pole. He had 33 Poles (not including karting) and 28 wins, that's an 84% conversion rate. In F1 he has 3 poles and 8 wins - amazingly, most of those were not starting from pole.

He's been in F1 for nearly 15 years, I don't need to look at his junior career. Ricciardo's strengths lie in his race pace and racecraft, not his qualifying. Jarno Trulli he is not.

HPD

Honestly, I have more faith in Yuki to lead RB this year. I could be wrong, it's okay.
In the last 5 races Yuki beat Ric in all classifications (except Mexico due to engine change). He scored more points than Ric.
I think we are going to have a nice fight this year, I understand that there are many Riccardo fans in this forum.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see Yuki lead the team this year, he finished very strong last year.

JPower
JPower

HPD wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 18:14
Honestly, I have more faith in Yuki to lead RB this year. I could be wrong, it's okay.
In the last 5 races Yuki beat Ric in all classifications (except Mexico due to engine change). He scored more points than Ric.
I think we are going to have a nice fight this year, I understand that there are many Riccardo fans in this forum.
But I wouldn't be surprised to see Yuki lead the team this year, he finished very strong last year.
Agreed.

djos

diffuser wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 14:55
The question that needs answering is "is Ricciardo still the driver he once was or is the Ricciardo that drove for McLaren permanent?"
You watched Mexico qualifying right?
"In downforce we trust"

continuum16

djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:28
diffuser wrote:
Yes, when Ricciardo’s teammate didn’t take part and then later (in the race) was within one position of DR despite starting last before making an admittedly amateurish mistake. I don’t think the Mexico qualifying was evidence of much more than the AT04 being in a good setup window and Ricciardo’s ability to keep it in track limits.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

djos

JPower wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 16:43
djos wrote:

He's been in F1 for nearly 15 years, I don't need to look at his junior career. Ricciardo's strengths lie in his race pace and racecraft, not his qualifying. Jarno Trulli he is not.
The only F1 team mate he’s ever had that was on par with him, or better, in qually, was Max.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/amp/53139/how ... reer-.html

Same goes for Ocon at Renault, which the above article was written before. Ocon got smashed.

And yes I’m ignoring his McLaren stint, that car was a PoS.
Last edited by djos on 28 Feb 2024, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

continuum16 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:34
djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:28
diffuser wrote:
Yes, when Ricciardo’s teammate didn’t take part and then later (in the race) was within one position of DR despite starting last before making an admittedly amateurish mistake. I don’t think the Mexico qualifying was evidence of much more than the AT04 being in a good setup window and Ricciardo’s ability to keep it in track limits.
Daniel had 10% of the seat time that Yuki had last year, and so should have bested Daniel. I doubt you will see him gain the upper hand so easily with them both starting the season together.
"In downforce we trust"

JPower
JPower

djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:35

The only F1 team mate he’s ever had that was on par with him, or better, in qually, was Max.

Same goes for Ocon at Renault, which the above article was written before. Ocon got smashed.

Great, that still doesn't make him an elite qualifier. I don't think Alonso is one either. Drivers aren't great at everything, even the very good ones.

djos

JPower wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 00:27
djos wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 22:35

Great, that still doesn't make him an elite qualifier. I don't think Alonso is one either. Drivers aren't great at everything, even the very good ones.
So tell me, what does it take to be an "elite qualifier" in your book?
"In downforce we trust"

mzso
mzso

diffuser wrote:
There's only one Ricciardo. The McLaren stint only proves that he wasn't the quality of the best drivers.

djos

mzso wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 01:35
diffuser wrote:
There's only one Ricciardo. The McLaren stint only proves that he wasn't the quality of the best drivers.
That's rubbish, he beat Vettel fair and square at RedBull and won 3 races against the dominant Mercedes team despite having an under-powered Renault PU.

Are you going to tell me that because Vettel, a 4 time WDC, couldn't win without a blown diffuser, he wasn't "the quality of the best drivers"?

Even last year Lando described the MCL60 as
"almost crashing at every corner"
- the simple fact is, Daniel couldnt trust the McLaren's and most drivers need confidence that the car is going to behave so they can get the most out of it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... /10490977/
"In downforce we trust"

mzso
mzso

djos wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 01:39
mzso wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 01:35
diffuser wrote:
That's rubbish, he beat Vettel fair and square at RedBull and won 3 races against the dominant Mercedes team despite having an under-powered Renault PU.

Are you going to tell me that because Vettel, a 4 time WDC, couldn't win without a blown diffuser, he wasn't "the quality of the best drivers"?

Even last year Lando described the MCL60 as
"almost crashing at every corner"
- the simple fact is, Daniel couldnt trust the McLaren's and most drivers need confidence that the car is going to behave so they can get the most out of it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... /10490977/
Great drivers can drive crap cars ably.

Vettel is a similar case. He couldn't do much without a dominant car that was to his taste.

djos

mzso wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 02:08
Great drivers can drive crap cars ably.

Vettel is a similar case. He couldn't do much without a dominant car that was to his taste.
Sorry, but there's crap and there's so bad that, as Lando said, "at its most problematic this meant having to “learn every single corner how to drive the car in a different way”.

Daniel did just fine in the slow AF HRT and in some not very fast Torro Rosso's.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/norr ... tions%20to.
"In downforce we trust"