2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:40
KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:03
Xyz22 wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 13:49
I don't agree with this.
Generally, a car that is much quicker over one lap compared to race trim has significant issues that are "covered" by the super fresh softest compound.
When you need to deliver consistent lap times over and over with the same tyres that start to provide less and less grip you really see which cars are the best in terms of balance.
I think that's in the article itself, not sure why you said it again.
Just wanted to reiterate while underlining that i don’t agree with the premise that this approach pays off “later” as written in the article.

I just don’t understand why they went for this approach in the design phase (“peak performance”, especially after seeing Ferrari disaster last year).
Of course maybe this was unexpected which could be even worse as the design process final result was not what they expected.

They have talented individual in the Team so i’m sure they will improve through the season.
I think tyre wear would be one of the harder things to simulate. Smarter designers maybe understand a more holistic picture of what type of aero profile produces what type of tyre wear but you cant be entirely sure till you go testing. I dont think they 'chose' to have tyre wear. They designed the fastest, most efficient car they could and tyre wear is the by product.

Maybe they need better aero solutions and then they can compromise to preserve tyre wear.

xReVo
xReVo

peewon wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 04:48
Xyz22 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 14:03

I think that's in the article itself, not sure why you said it again.
Just wanted to reiterate while underlining that i don’t agree with the premise that this approach pays off “later” as written in the article.

I just don’t understand why they went for this approach in the design phase (“peak performance”, especially after seeing Ferrari disaster last year).
Of course maybe this was unexpected which could be even worse as the design process final result was not what they expected.

They have talented individual in the Team so i’m sure they will improve through the season.
I think tyre wear would be one of the harder things to simulate. Smarter designers maybe understand a more holistic picture of what type of aero profile produces what type of tyre wear but you cant be entirely sure till you go testing. I dont think they 'chose' to have tyre wear. They designed the fastest, most efficient car they could and tyre wear is the by product.

Maybe they need better aero solutions and then they can compromise to preserve tyre wear.
Aston Martin went from second force in March 2023 to fifth force in March 2024. Worsening more than any other top team. So basically they didn't work well for me. Redbull is more efficient than Aston Martin, ditto Ferrari and they don't have these problems. In my opinion they received the indications from the Mercedes rear late and consequently they improvised in the end, and now they always have to find that balance that they don't have.

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 14:35
peewon wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

Aston Martin went from second force in March 2023 to fifth force in March 2024. Worsening more than any other top team. So basically they didn't work well for me. Redbull is more efficient than Aston Martin, ditto Ferrari and they don't have these problems. In my opinion they received the indications from the Mercedes rear late and consequently they improvised in the end, and now they always have to find that balance that they don't have.
Just remember that although what you wrote is factual....Arguably, they would not have been 2nd in March of 2023 if they were using March 2024 tires.

KimiRai
KimiRai

The Aston Martin Formula 1 team has approached Red Bull star designer Adrian Newey with a fresh contract offer, Motorsport.com has learned.

Motorsport.com understands Aston Martin chief Lawrence Stroll has up the ante with a big-money contract offer over the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix weekend to lure the 65-year-old legendary designer from Milton Keynes to its nearby Silverstone headquarters.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/asto ... /10593041/

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 16:59
The Aston Martin Formula 1 team has approached Red Bull star designer Adrian Newey with a fresh contract offer, Motorsport.com has learned.

Motorsport.com understands Aston Martin chief Lawrence Stroll has up the ante with a big-money contract offer over the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix weekend to lure the 65-year-old legendary designer from Milton Keynes to its nearby Silverstone headquarters.
Why would Newey go there where Alonso soon retire and left with a "amateur" Stroll?

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 17:58
KimiRai wrote:

Why would Newey go there where Alonso soon retire and left with a "amateur" Stroll?
Apples and Oranges. Not that I think this isn't more than noise.

peewon

xReVo wrote:
peewon wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

Yeah Im not 100% convinced by their top technical people either. But maybe they just need more time. Its possible some infrastructure limitations have held them back. They dont have their own wind tunnel yet. Fallows, Blandin and Fubrato joined late enough that this could be their first real car from inception.

We know Newey personally focused on the suspension design for RB 18 which shows how important it is and AM are getting their rear suspension and gearbox from Merc. Merc originally designed it for zero pod concept so hard to say how much they've been able to optimize the new one to their aero concept.

Can they reach close to RB and compete with Mclaren and Ferrari? Possibly. But I dont think they'll be able to catch up to a Newey designed car in wero development with the head start RB had before the new regulations.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 19:05
xReVo wrote:
peewon wrote:

Yeah Im not 100% convinced by their top technical people either. But maybe they just need more time. Its possible some infrastructure limitations have held them back. They dont have their own wind tunnel yet. Fallows, Blandin and Fubrato joined late enough that this could be their first real car from inception.

We know Newey personally focused on the suspension design for RB 18 which shows how important it is and AM are getting their rear suspension and gearbox from Merc. Merc originally designed it for zero pod concept so hard to say how much they've been able to optimize the new one to their aero concept.

Can they reach close to RB and compete with Mclaren and Ferrari? Possibly. But I dont think they'll be able to catch up to a Newey designed car in wero development with the head start RB had before the new regulations.
Merc rear suspension in new this year. It had nothing to do with zero pod.

diffuser

I know there is ego and incompetence at all levels but I just can't imagine RBR big boss throwing out the baby (max, Newey) with the bath wash(Horner). If they can't reconcile, for me, it's very simple to give Horner the boot. he's good but he's not more import that the baby.

Kamel
Kamel

Lee Stevenson to Aston Martin or what !?

Sevach
Sevach

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 17:58
KimiRai wrote:

Didn't you hear? They are also interested in the Verstappen sweepstakes.
They have a brand new facility, they have Honda... they want to be the Green Bulls.

On the topic of suspension, soon they'll have their own, when they become the Honda factory team i can't see them buying a gearbox/rear suspension from a competitor.

CjC
CjC

One thing is for sure, with Alonsos past record of bad timing when it comes to career moves, if Alonso leaves Aston then you can be fairly certain Newey will join them :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

xReVo
xReVo

CjC wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 20:52
One thing is for sure, with Alonsos past record of bad timing when it comes to career moves, if Alonso leaves Aston then you can be fairly certain Newey will join them :lol:
Alonso has to decide in the short term and even if Newey came to Aston Martin, Redbull would still have the advantage in 2025. He has a maximum of 2 years left in his career, but it is also true that 2026 exists. We'll see.

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 15:00
xReVo wrote:
peewon wrote:

Just remember that although what you wrote is factual....Arguably, they would not have been 2nd in March of 2023 if they were using March 2024 tires.
And this is true, even the probable ban on flexible wings has played some tricks

KimiRai
KimiRai