Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F138

ringo wrote:Maybe they are blocking the inlets just test how much smaller an opening they can use. This may be for future upgrades. The other purpose I can think of is a flow diffuser simply to have more efficient flow to the radiators. The radiators may be angled in a way the cooling may not have been distributed DVD ly over the radiator surface.
This is likely to be the case here.

BCN T03 - Day 3

Vanja #66

Is there a special reason for Ferrari not to use the r-flap on the front wing? I imagine their philosophy of the front wing something like this - the flow through the pillars and closely around should be as clean as possible, rest of the wing is to be used as efficiently as possible. Would adding r-flaps disrupt the flow around the pillars? Or are those flaps mostly used to direct the flow around the front suspension, in which case Scuderia doesn't require them as much?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

All f1 cars have those pillars.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

Let me put a picture in the mix, should help with the explanation...

Now, what I'm asking about is that thing in the yellow circle. r-flap, r-wing, whatever... Since it does seem that Scuderia's front wing designers are truly inspired by Newey (red-circled small wing at the top of cascade, ice-blue-circled edges of main flaps and all the rest of things that, unlike these two, were on F2012 and F138 up until yesterday), it boggles me - why they don't add that r-wing/flap? It doesn't seem too hard to integrate with the rest of the wing, so the only explanation I could come up with, 'bout a year now, is that they are trying to keep the flow around (and even more inside) those front wing pillars as clean as possible and that adding that little piece of carbon would disrupt it.

What I'm asking now, seeing as those two wings start to look more and more unified (though Newey curved all the edges now like on the diffuser, Fry and Tombazis are yet to do that), why does that yellow-circled r-wing/flap seems to be the only thing missing? Is it because F138 doesn't need it since it has pull-rod front suspension and the airflow around it is quite well without it? Or is it because it would disrupt the airflow around pillars and consequently - inside them?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

That r-wing is a vortex generator. It will create a vortex spiralling through underneath the suspension arms and onto splitter and barge board.

IMO i think you are right and Ferrari do not make use of the r-wing in order to keep the flow under the nose very clean and with their pull rod front suspension, adding a vortex generator would probably negate the aero benefits of the pull rod layout. Though I do find it interesting that Ferrari has such abrupt edges on their wing, as that will promote vorticies to form.

Also RBR has a lower nose than Ferrari, which would suggest to me that they are not concerned with the flow directly under the nose and more interested in the flow off the front wing and shaping that through to the floor.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

ringo

where is the 7 tier wing?
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:where is the 7 tier wing?
Probably included cascades.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123
wesley123

Previous wing was 6 plane in it's outer span. This new wing adds another slot in the 5th profile. This slot is located in the corner where the wing profile bends down into the footplate.
f300v10 wrote:Image
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Hail22

Gary Anderson on the rear package of the F138 (apologies if it has already been posted):

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 4 (03.03.2013)

via F1Today
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

stefan_
stefan_

via Nira Juanco
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

BCN T03 - Day 4

Hail22

Is it me or have I noticed that the rear package of the F138 is quite tight/effective, flow viz to me shows good flow seperation and clean air flow along the beam-wing and rear brake ducts/drum.

If I'm wrong please don't be afraid to point it out :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_