2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
pidad
pidad

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

hollus wrote:To everyone asking why Vettel shouldn't have grabbed those 7 points as he did: Apart from moral or personal considerations, and apart from what the team might or might not think of it...

Red Bull has been utterly dominant in quali so far. We have 17 races left, and they are likely to be 1-2 at the starting grid of many of them. So far Webber might or might not have followed team orders, but in the last years he has given Vettel space.
We'll see how much those 7 points were worth when they go side by side into the first corner of many, many races.
Also if Webber won and Vettel 2nd, they would have been tied for first place in the WDC

FW17

Nando wrote:I missed this from the broadcast. Close call.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykG06ixh92c[/youtube]

Pastor was penalized for something like this how come MW gets away with this? What does the FIA really do?

Cam

WilliamsF1 wrote:

Pastor was penalized for something like this how come MW gets away with this? What does the FIA really do?
Seeing as there is no Concorde agreement, discontent with the services they provide while increasing fees, looks like they're doing about the same as any other management organization.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Cam wrote:
sAx wrote:Guess it must be an innocent omission why you don't have an estimate for button/thumb wheel far right with word MULTI written next to it. Any thoughts?
You didn't visit the site the did you. Let me give that to you again: http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/f ... tid=150593

If it's not there, take it up with René Fagnan - who wrote the article. But I like how you didn't consider that before accusing me of withholding that in a post =D> #-o
Multi-21 wrote:Apologies for re-registering, I lost my username...

Multi-21 means nothing more than car with no. 2 stays ahead of car no.1. Period.

I re-saw the recording after the race where the german tv commentator interviewed Lauda and Horner together. They both laughed when he asked what Multi-21 meaned. They knew but wouldn't comment yet. After a commercial break he confirmed no. 2 stays ahead of no. 1. It is that simple.
Now although we haven't seen the video - I don't see anyone sticking to the 'it's a switch' theory anymore. I guess now it's cleared up - it's not a switch - it's a code. Come to terms with it. This is why I don't accept people's theories without evidence - no matter how 'axiomatic' you may consider it. Guess that light in the tunnel was a train :lol:
It's a multi-map setting. It may ALSO mean hold station if that's what the team have discussed the setting is for, but it's most definitely a setting on the steering wheel which controls various systems, most probably turning off/down. It was quite clear on the radio when Vettel was attacking Mark the team where telling him to "take KERS out of overtake pattern" and "use KERS normally".

And the reason it may override the other settings on the steering wheel is because it would be ridiculous to ask the driver to change 10 different settings just to put the car in cruise mode. Certain configurations are on a quick select using the multi-map setting. For example, wet weather setup (which switches on the light as well as other things). Of course, all the other settings are there for adhoc manual changes.

Websta

Cam wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

Seeing as there is no Concorde agreement, discontent with the services they provide while increasing fees, looks like they're doing about the same as any other management organization.
Well Pastor did it after being blocked on a practise qualifying lap in Monaco and in qualifying in Belgium, and on both occasions he made contact. I think this was similarly reckless and that the circumstances do not exonerate Webber from a reprimand.

Shrieker

I don't understand what the issue is. The team ordered it's drivers to stay put with the no 1 driver behind the no 2. Then, the no 1 driver attacked and took the lead. I thought team orders are there to ensure the no 1 driver finishes ahead, and Vettel just did that. You can't really blame Vettel for thinking 'team orders = me win'. It's been always the same since the day he stepped into a Red Bull with MW alongside.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Cam

Diesel wrote: It's a multi-map setting. It may ALSO mean hold station if that's what the team have discussed the setting is for, but it's most definitely a setting on the steering wheel which controls various systems, most probably turning off/down. It was quite clear on the radio when Vettel was attacking Mark the team where telling him to "take KERS out of overtake pattern" and "use KERS normally".

And the reason it may override the other settings on the steering wheel is because it would be ridiculous to ask the driver to change 10 different settings just to put the car in cruise mode. Certain configurations are on a quick select using the multi-map setting. For example, wet weather setup (which switches on the light as well as other things). Of course, all the other settings are there for adhoc manual changes.
I am prepared to accept it - but where is the proof? There is only speculation that the right hand toggle wheel works in conjunction with the left hand toggle wheel, to make the magic number 21, but not one source has come forward to confirm this. None. None of the press experts, none of the team press leaks, not a single reputable sole has stated multi21 is a spefic setting that the driver must select. All info appears, so far, to confirm its a code, with driver making required changes - whatever they are.

Please tell me what specific evidence you have to support this?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Juzh

Controversy aside, this is a fine example of racing on the limit:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVaADyuAWM[/youtube]

Nando
Nando

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Still can´t see it sorry. "Maintain the gap" seems like a far more logical approach to something that is legal.
Turning down engine and revs would be something to have codes for since you don´t want your competitors to know that.

Edit: the ever-eternal struggle to suppress the stars...
Last edited by Nando on 28 Mar 2013, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

CHT
CHT

Total agree with Bernie on this...

Ecclestone slams Red Bull orders

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... 04311.html

Cocles

Juzh wrote:Controversy aside, this is a fine example of racing on the limit:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVaADyuAWM[/youtube]
Yes, more of this please. +1

bhall
bhall

And by "racing on the limit," you mean one guy on a compromised strategy (harder tires) being overtaken via DRS by the guy who compromised the strategy?

OK.

myurr
myurr

pidad wrote:
hollus wrote:To everyone asking why Vettel shouldn't have grabbed those 7 points as he did: Apart from moral or personal considerations, and apart from what the team might or might not think of it...

Red Bull has been utterly dominant in quali so far. We have 17 races left, and they are likely to be 1-2 at the starting grid of many of them. So far Webber might or might not have followed team orders, but in the last years he has given Vettel space.
We'll see how much those 7 points were worth when they go side by side into the first corner of many, many races.
Also if Webber won and Vettel 2nd, they would have been tied for first place in the WDC
Actually with a win Webber would be listed 1st and according to press leaks would be given the number 1 status in the team under the rules they have in place. I think that has more to do with Vettel's decision to ignore team orders than the points in the WDC, he doesn't want to give his team mate that advantage instead wanting to keep it for himself. In the scheme of things those 7 points is a relatively small amount compared to having good will with your team mate when things get tough in the second half of the year. I think Vettel may end up really regretting this incident, and I still believe this is the main reason the team have so far backed Webber more than Vettel.

Juzh

bhallg2k wrote:And by "racing on the limit," you mean one guy on a compromised strategy (harder tires) being overtaken via DRS by the guy who compromised the strategy?

OK.
Webber chose to be on the harder tyre simply because he's harder on them in the begining. Makes zero difference to me. Not to mention he wasn't overtaken with DRS. Even if he was, DRS is an integral part of F1 in this time, nothing we can do about it. You can stop your provocations now.

bhall
bhall

Juzh wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:And by "racing on the limit," you mean one guy on a compromised strategy (harder tires) being overtaken via DRS by the guy who compromised the strategy?

OK.
Webber chose to be on the harder tyre simply because he's harder on them in the begining. Makes zero difference to me. Not to mention he wasn't overtaken with DRS. Even if he was, DRS is an integral part of F1 in this time, nothing we can do about it. You can stop your provocations now.
My provocations aren't nearly that subtle. I'm just interested in other people's ideas.

I'm what they call a people person. Sue me.