Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: Ferrari F1-75

mzso wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:20
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 14:45

Regarding the F1-75... great first race. Great on the tyres, no serious brake heating issues, good power, good slow speed cornering, good downforce, the only (possible) weakness could be in the hybrid, and we have until September to improve there. Seems like we're on the right path so far.
What?
It looks spectacularly bad compared to Red Bull in the side by side video. Leclerc looses massive chunks of time. I never even saw loosing that much time in single brake zones on these comparison videos before.
https://youtu.be/Oe8ucnyNUgs?t=39
I cannot see the video, but sorry it does definetely not. Pole and fastest lap says something different. Its also clearly the most balanced car. After what you say it would also be really strange that all experts say that the Ferrari breaks later into the corners than any other car and is also on the throttle earlier. But there is no need for experts, because it was even easy to see on TV. Maybe you should not take one or two incidents to rate a car.

mzso
mzso

Andi76 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 21:45
I cannot see the video, but sorry it does definetely not. Pole and fastest lap says something different. Its also clearly the most balanced car. After what you say it would also be really strange that all experts say that the Ferrari breaks later into the corners than any other car and is also on the throttle earlier. But there is no need for experts, because it was even easy to see on TV. Maybe you should not take one or two incidents to rate a car.
Why bother commenting when you don't bother to watch the video?
It's clear to see the massive time loss going into slow turns. You say "definetely" when it's clearly discredited in the video.

Vanja #66

It's not the car, as has been said, it's the driving style. You can brake sooner to go faster through the corner and have a better exit. Great style in Q, vulnerable in wheel-to-wheel racing.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

mzso wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:20
codetower wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 14:45

Regarding the F1-75... great first race. Great on the tyres, no serious brake heating issues, good power, good slow speed cornering, good downforce, the only (possible) weakness could be in the hybrid, and we have until September to improve there. Seems like we're on the right path so far.
What?
It looks spectacularly bad compared to Red Bull in the side by side video. Leclerc looses massive chunks of time. I never even saw loosing that much time in single brake zones on these comparison videos before.
https://youtu.be/Oe8ucnyNUgs?t=39
That's a misleading way to look at it, before they brake for turn 8 Verstappen is 0.066 ahead, after 8-9-10, Verstappen is 0.058 ahead(with Charles gaining on acceleration).

Verstappen carries more speed and has a more front positive car for turn 8, Charles recovers some on exit.
Before 9 Verstappen is 0.130 ahead, they take different lines through 9, Charles tight, Max a lot more open (this difference in place on track seems to make the counter go beserk), after the 9-10 combo Charles is (as i previously stated) 0.058 so he made time in the 9-10 combo.

One corner went to Max another went to Charles (9-10 is essentially one corner).

jumpingfish

Does F1-75 have weaknesses, limitations? Interested in how many tenths can bring the first major update? 0.4s - 0.6s? If at the moment the car is approximately the same as it was a few weeks ago on tests in Barcelona.

LM10
LM10

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 11:02
Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 22:15
It's not the car, as has been said, it's the driving style. You can brake sooner to go faster through the corner and have a better exit. Great style in Q, vulnerable in wheel-to-wheel racing.
I get that, but since he still ends up with a loss (near a tenth in the turn I linked) the Ferrari is not particularly good at slow turns.
You might call Binotto and tell him that they're not good at slow cornering. Let them know, they'll be surprised at your expert analysis and start ironing out this specific weakness with their next upgrade!

mzso
mzso

LM10 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 11:54
You might call Binotto and tell him that they're not good at slow cornering. Let them know, they'll be surprised at your expert analysis and start ironing out this specific weakness with their next upgrade!
I don't think Binotto is the blind one...

Drift4794
Drift4794

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... erstappen/
Great article but particularly interesting bit here:

Red Bull probably also chose the lower downforce as protection against the Ferraris. They paid in the middle sector, where eight of the 15 corners are hidden. In this section, the red car was a tenth or two faster. Ferrari drove a bigger wing. And the reds surprised Red Bull not only on one lap, but also over the distance.

"As soon as Max set the pace, our tyres went down too much. Our tyre degradation was higher than Ferrari's, contrary to expectations," explained sporting director Marko. "We stayed below our possibilities. Maybe the setup change from Friday to Saturday had the opposite effect on Max. To that you have to say that the race always goes differently when you can drive it away from the front like Leclerc."

Verstappen missed the feeling and speed from Friday's long runs. "We couldn't reproduce that pace. But that's how it is sometimes, that the balance doesn't fit anymore." It was four to five degrees Celsius warmer in the race than on the days before. That showed a difference: Ferrari is fast in all conditions. The red car seems to have a wide working range. The competitors' cars seem to have a more pointed design.

kyky-pyky
kyky-pyky

mzso wrote:
Also, is it so hard to click "watch on youtube" on the embedded video placeholder?
I think it’s important to admit that F1 made its content unavailable at some place on this planet. And blaming the person for the consequences is just not right.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

mzso wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 13:34
kyky-pyky wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:48
mzso wrote:
Also, is it so hard to click "watch on youtube" on the embedded video placeholder?
I think it’s important to admit that F1 made its content unavailable at some place on this planet. And blaming the person for the consequences is just not right.
This video, only in Russia/Belarus:
https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.c ... 5716edda21
https://postimg.cc/ZWKVqzn5
He was just unable to click a friggin link.
Andi76 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:30
So you say all the experts are fantasizing? And pole, fastest lap etc. is fantasizing?
No. Only you are. You keep bringing up stuff that's not relevant to what you're trying to argue.
Andi76 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:30
I tell you again this is against everything the experts who watched the car on track told us...they indeed said thats where the Ferrari makes its gains.
That's anecdotal evidence at best. Which the video directly contradicts. Leclerc lost time with every slow turn, even if it was less than I originally thought.
Andi76 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:54
Also if you would have analysed the video you posted properly, you would have noticed that its not "head-to-head". At 0:06 there is a black sign on the left. Here you can see clearly that Max is ahead of Leclerk...you also see this on the grid positions they pass. Max is about 2-3 metres ahead of Lewis. So to use this video in any way for an analysis of this corner in relation to where a driver is, is questionable in my opinion and pretty much explains why it seems the Ferrari is loosing in breaking while he probably does not.
I did post it properly, only you failed a watching it...
But I see you're insisting on making an even bigger fool of yourself: The video is synchronized at the point they reach the measuring point, and not before. And you can see them clearly cross the line in the same frame.
But of course you're quick to brush it aside because it doesn't support you non-point.

Anyway, your confirmation bias for your belief is tiring. Believe what you want.

Less of the antagonising and disrecpectful comments please mzso.

Let's get on topic - the car.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Sevach
Sevach

mzso wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 22:15
I get that, but since he still ends up with a loss (near a tenth in the turn I linked) the Ferrari is not particularly good at slow turns.
Red Bull had a more positive front in qualifying, Ferrari had a stronger rear end, it's possible Ferrari could've used a more aggressive rear bar to try and make the car more pointy, but given how awesome their tire usage was in the gp i'd say they made the right choice.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

About the useless controversies that are developing regarding this video, I report a small anthology of the comments that users from various parts of the world have released:

-A tenth came down to the last corner's fractionally better maneuvering...
-Battery power---
-Max did the corner better, but on the wrong gear...
-Max tires were done...
-I noticed every corner Leclerc pulled on Verstappen he took the gear higher...
-More likely Charles was better at managing his tires and had more left in the finale...
-Charles lost a lot on the straight at the beginning of the lap...
-Their (Ferrari) engine works excellently in deploying low end traction in the right window of tyres..
-Ferrari has more grunt in the lower rev band, it has better torque so Leclerc can stick to higher gears...
-Lacking straight line speed is probably caused by a setup with more downforce… In the end of the lap Max had problems with the temperature of the tyres - he made a comment on that...
-The Ferrari is quicker in fast corners and has better acceleration (because of the engine). Max was faster on the straights because of a different downforce setup...
-RBR has greater top speed, but it is a misleading metric, as it is heavily dependant on the downforce setup of the car...
-What is being discussed in the paddock is Ferrari's acceleration out of corners. And we saw it in this side by side too... Leclerc also drives completely different than Verstappen this year. He uses more square lines in order to brake, turn and have all 4 wheels flat to accelerate early...
-Ferrari is great in traction zones, and ERS system is much improved, accelerates as a rocket out of low speed corners, also LEC is driving in a more squared off style, like Schumacher or Vettel leveraging the cars advantage….”

And so on

My thought: both RBR drivers (and Gasly with them) squeezed the engine too much. Which, in my opinion, means that they scraped the bottom of the barrel and ended up being hanged. I suspect that Ferrari has not yet reached the limit, but they have a reserve of power which they rarely draw from (due to reliability) but always available in extreme cases and only for short periods.

But my question is another: was it just me who saw, through the onboard cameras, that the front wing of the RBR and MB flex significantly as the speed progresses?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do this year's rules say about wings stiffness?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Andi76
Andi76

LostInTranslation wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 16:11

About the useless controversies that are developing regarding this video, I report a small anthology of the comments that users from various parts of the world have released:

-Battery power---
-Max tires were done...
-More likely Charles was better at managing his tires and had more left in the finale...
-Their (Ferrari) engine works excellently in deploying low end traction in the right window of tyres..
-Ferrari has more grunt in the lower rev band, it has better torque so Leclerc can stick to higher gears...
-Lacking straight line speed is probably caused by a setup with more downforce… In the end of the lap Max had problems with the temperature of the tyres - he made a comment on that...
-The Ferrari is quicker in fast corners and has better acceleration (because of the engine). Max was faster on the straights because of a different downforce setup...
-RBR has greater top speed, but it is a misleading metric, as it is heavily dependant on the downforce setup of the car...
-What is being discussed in the paddock is Ferrari's acceleration out of corners. And we saw it in this side by side too... Leclerc also drives completely different than Verstappen this year. He uses more square lines in order to brake, turn and have all 4 wheels flat to accelerate early...
-Ferrari is great in traction zones, and ERS system is much improved, accelerates as a rocket out of low speed corners, also LEC is driving in a more squared off style, like Schumacher or Vettel leveraging the cars advantage….”

And so on

My thought: both RBR drivers (and Gasly with them) squeezed the engine too much. Which, in my opinion, means that they scraped the bottom of the barrel and ended up being hanged. I suspect that Ferrari has not yet reached the limit, but they have a reserve of power which they rarely draw from (due to reliability) but always available in extreme cases and only for short periods.

But my question is another: was it just me who saw, through the onboard cameras, that the front wing of the RBR and MB flex significantly as the speed progresses?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do this year's rules say about wings stiffness?

In the early 00's the Ferraris also had a massive advantage in accelerating out of the corners. Mika Häkkinen said they tried everything but they were not able to come close to Ferraris acceleration. They were also quicker in fast corners....and it was against a "Newey-Car". Back then a lot of this had something to do with the weight distribution, the centre of gravity, the aerodynamic concept, driveability of the engine, the suspension and also the torsional stiffness of the car and how all this worked together. Interesting in that regard is that you mention that Leclerc drives more like the driver of these days - Michael Schumacher. But anyway- it always stayed a secret how they exactly achieved this and i was not able to find out yet, but i could imagine Ferraris secret of today has its origin in something similar.

mzso
mzso

LostInTranslation wrote:
How would squeezing the ICE too mach be a factor in a qualifying lap though?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andi76 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 16:42
LostInTranslation wrote:

-Battery power---
-Max tires were done...

And so on

In the early 00's the Ferraris also had a massive advantage in accelerating out of the corners. Mika Häkkinen said they tried everything but they were not able to come close to Ferraris acceleration. They were also quicker in fast corners....and it was against a "Newey-Car". Back then a lot of this had something to do with the weight distribution, the centre of gravity, the aerodynamic concept, driveability of the engine, the suspension and also the torsional stiffness of the car and how all this worked together. Interesting in that regard is that you mention that Leclerc drives more like the driver of these days - Michael Schumacher. But anyway- it always stayed a secret how they exactly achieved this and i was not able to find out yet, but i could imagine Ferraris secret of today has the same origin.
There was also the suggestion that the key people in the team that had developed those Ferraris were the same that had developed the "yes, but we don't run that traction control code, honest" Benettons. I remember that in 2001 or 2002 the FIA formally allowed TC to be used again - ostensibly because teams were using it anyway and the FIA couldn't figure out how to stop them. It also happened to coincide with McLaren developing a clever differential that legally gave TC levels of control under drive. McLaren talked to the FIA about it as they went along. Ferrari had been against TC being legal again right up until McLaren's mega-diff was coming online and then they changed their minds. TC was then legalised. Funny that. :lol:

Those were the days when F1 politics had real depth to it - not the whining team principles playing to the gallery like today. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.