Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

ME4ME wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:42
Was thinking the same thing right after the crash; wonder if they get Lawson. There isn't really any point in running Sergeant other than letting him finish the season.
Yes. There's a fair bit of season left too.

djos

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 23:03
ME4ME wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:42
Was thinking the same thing right after the crash; wonder if they get Lawson. There isn't really any point in running Sergeant other than letting him finish the season.
Yes. There's a fair bit of season left too.
Lawson would be a great choice! He’s fast and more likely to get points, especially as the car is looking decently quick now.

PS, Carlos to Williams next year is looking better and better for him. Alex looked pretty speedy for most of qualifying.
"In downforce we trust"

cowboyjohn
cowboyjohn

Do you think Max will switch to Merc next year or on 2026? Judging by the dumpster fire RB is heading,is it that bad of idea to switch to Merc in 2025?

FW17

I wish Schumacher would be given the Williams chance so that Audi will sign him for next year.

djos

FW17 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 11:42
I wish Schumacher would be given the Williams chance so that Audi will sign him for next year.
Really? He was no better than Sargent while he was at Haas.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 14:12
FW17 wrote:

Jurgen von Diaz

FW17 wrote:
djos wrote:
FW17 wrote:

Mick is like Lance; he is performing when it doesn't matter, which is outside the points. Kmag six times at the points, vs Mick two times and sh*t loads of wreckage.

mvfad

Mick is only being mentioned because of his surname and Toto's influence.

His career at the feeder series is not that great, with a suspicious title in the old F3, and then being one of the worst champions in F2 with only two wins (a title he achieved thanks to the great starts that only he had on the reverse grid - something that has never happened again in F1).

He had his chance in F1 for 2 years and never showed anything special, I think that's ok, he had his chance and didn't take it... Other young drivers also deserve at least the same opportunity, like Pourchaire, Drugovich, Vesti, and Shwartzman for example (I'm not mentioning Lawson, because he already has his way with the RedBull teams).

And finally, the curious thing is that he was fired from HAAS for the same reason that Logan is about to be fired by Williams (accident-prone). In other words, this change of drivers makes no sense at all.

If Mick was really a good option, Toto would have put him in Mercedes instead of rushing Antonelli.

And if the excuse is "experience", then better bring back Vandoorne or Nasr.

djos

FW17 wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 16:27
djos wrote:
FW17 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/hGJ24B0.jpg
https://preview.redd.it/the-tale-of-the ... 3281b7b272

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx-Jp3dCcAATUZQ.jpg
https://i.redd.it/l4st9lkvlt661.jpg
When he was in with a chance to score points, he over-drove the car and crashed.
"In downforce we trust"

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I like Mick, but I have to agree. Putting him in the Williams makes zero sense versus Logan.

Lawson OTOH makes sense. Possibly even get some money from Red Bull in return....
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

langedweil

Apparently it's Franco for the remainder of the year. Pretty legit source I'd say ..
HuggaWugga !

LHamilton
LHamilton

Excellent choice by Williams.

With you having Sainz and Albon for next year confirmed, this is a good option to get one of your junior drivers some experience in F1 and see what the future holds for any of them. Couldve been either Colapinto or O'Sullivan. But since Colapinto is higher in the F2 driver championship its only fair that it is him who gets the chance. No point in bringing in Lawson, primarily, or even Mick, when you have your juniors there. Whoever was chosen would only be temporarily. So any of Mick or Lawson wouldnt have made much sense.

Colapinto can just retreat into F2 next year and go for the championship. Having half a year in F1 en preparation for that can only be a good thing. A good development curve for him.

Sadly for OSullivan though, he will have an uphill battle to claim a Williams spot in the future, with Sainz and Albon already locked in, and now with Colapinto given a prime chance to succeed.

EDIT: On second thought; is Colapinto allowed to go back to F2 for next season if he competes in all of the remaining races this season? I dont know where the cut-off is in how many races you are allowed to do in F1 and then get back into F2 again. Obviously Bearman did once race for Sainz earier on this year, and that was fine. But..

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

The Race made a valid point regarding Lawson, which is that RB would think carefully about loaning him to Williams when he could then start taking points off of the VCARB drivers. Plus they'd potentially want him back if they decide to oust Perez in a few races time.

Mick was generally seen as not really any different a prospect than Logan.

I think Williams have basically decided to roll the dice since Franco can't really be any worse. He has nothing to prove as such, expectations will be low, so is less likely to bin it as often as Logan did.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

dennis h
dennis h

Antonelli confirmed !!!!

JordanMugen

It seems like Bortoleto is the favourite for Sauber now, although it could also be Pourchaire, Drugovich, Lawson or presumably Hadjar (or, of course, Bottas or Magnussen). :)

McLaren will, supposedly, loan or release the Brazilian ace. =D>

Doohan only has a 1-year contract so if Doohan is poor during the season, there is still a possibility that Martins (or even Pourchaire) could be substituted for the Australian to return Alpine-Renault or Alpine-Mercedes to an all-French lineup!

If Hadjar, the F2 leader, is not considered for Sauber then it's not clear where (if anywhere) in F1 Hadjar could end up. Champion in second season wouldn't be too bad by Hadjar, would it?

It's a shame that F2 is so difficult to decipher and doesn't clearly illuminate the best candidates for F1 anymore. It's becoming a bit like Formula 3000 in that sense. :|