2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Formula One 1.6l turbo engine formula as of 2013

Well, If you start speculating on what could have been done with the acres, raw material or final product, nothing but salt water, and perhaps not even that, would be entirely correct to use for racing when you think about it.

Just imagine what those waste products you mention could be used for, why should it have been thrown away in the first place? Not to speak of the sugar, which makes people fat and erodes their teeth, shouldn't be produced at all and the land used for healthy food production!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

alelanza
alelanza

machin wrote:
alelanza wrote:you're limiting them to use a base configuration that may not be optimal. From the general population perspective you're grabbing already existing technology, restricting it with many regulations, and putting it in an application with hugely different goals to those of road going vehicles, and that as a consequence will be developed (if allowed) in ways that are not compatible with human transportation needs.
Haven't the FIA asked all the clever people currently in F1 what the answer is to this question:- "You have 100kg of petrol to use over the normal race distance, and the engine must be a 4-stroke Internal combustion engine, what engine would you build for your race car?"

The response would have been "95% sure it'd be a 4 cylinder turbo", to which the FIA said "OK, we'll mandate a 4 cylinder turbo so that all the team's don't have to go away and each individually research what the abolute optimum is".

?????
Not that i'm aware of, plus i can't see how that makes sense. If the answer was so obvious, then why were they worried that the teams would have had to 'go away and each individually research what the abolute optimum is'?
Alejandro L.

HampusA

Money.
The truth will come out...

machin

alelanza wrote:If the answer was so obvious, then why were they worried that the teams would have had to 'go away and each individually research what the abolute optimum is'?
Because, to quote myself, when asked the question by the FIA their answer probably would've been:-
"[we're] 95% sure it'd be a 4 cylinder turbo"
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

HampusA

FIA open to delaying new F1 engines
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91958

WhiteBlue

The engines will definitely come just as predicted many times. Read the Fia release which is published by Steven on the front page.

There will not even be a new vote in the F1 commission apparently. The WMSC will potentially execute a fax vote in the next four weeks regarding the question whether the engine should be delayed one more time. If they are delayed I cannot think they will be delayed for more than a year.

Todt has only committed for the running terms of the Fia presidency and I'm sure he wants this issue seen through whatever he decides to do in the future. I don't think Ferrari and Ecclestone have enough clout in the WMSC to cause a delay.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

The FIA release doesn't mean much, the outcome was known for a long time, anything else would have been a surprise.

What matters is June 30, I doubt if MrT is going to take any chances on Ferrari, Cosworth or even a breakaway league.

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:The FIA release doesn't mean much, the outcome was known for a long time, anything else would have been a surprise.
I seem to remember that you predicted a very different outcome.
xpensive wrote:What matters is June 30, I doubt if MrT is going to take any chances on Ferrari, Cosworth or even a breakaway league.
What do you mean by that? Could you elaborate a bit?

You better prepare for eating that Caterham, x.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

alelanza
alelanza

machin wrote:
alelanza wrote:If the answer was so obvious, then why were they worried that the teams would have had to 'go away and each individually research what the abolute optimum is'?
Because, to quote myself, when asked the question by the FIA their answer probably would've been:-
"[we're] 95% sure it'd be a 4 cylinder turbo"
'Probably' plus '95%' put together give us a very open number in my opinion.
Alejandro L.

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
What do you mean by that? Could you elaborate a bit?

You better prepare for eating that Caterham, x.
MrT has already suggested that he's prepared to bargain on the date of introduction for the I4 turbo, which I'm sure he will have to, when there's no way in the world that Cosworth will find the money to develop the engine with all those gizmos, when they can't afford to develop an EBD?

You bring the Caterham to the first race in 2013 WB, if they have four-banger turbos then, I'll grind the thing to granulate myself and flush it down with Weissbier.

nobeard
nobeard

I think that using a 4 cyl turbo engine in F1 is a monumental mistake. For obvious reasons.

This is no new technology and by the rules it will not be much developped. It s a road car configuration that is succesfully applied to WTCC or rally where the racing cars actually look like the cars you can buy.

F1 today is no longer about mechanics, its all about aerodynamics. The last great advances that F1 have given to the automotive industry is what, carbon brakes and super fast gearboxes... that's about it. Teams today are designing planes with 4 wheels ! The engine is not so important anymore.

I think Endurance racing cars provide more technological advances to road going cars than F1. Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Aston martin, peugeot... Diesels, petrol, V6, inline6, V8... there's a variaty of developments we will no longer see in F1.

That's only my personal opinion, but I look at the picture and do not see anything else than a formated racing series that will only show cars with different stickers on them.

Cheers

HampusA

Well Le Mans, engine wise is way more destroyed. Diesel engines? really?
It´s not even a viable option for the evironment..

I´d actually like to see F1 go really green. So green that it´s 100% electric.
That if anything would be a real push for being green and would i would assume the technology developed in F1 would be far more important then anything that´s ever come from F1.

Just imagine having all the torque available instantly.

That way Ferrari and the other teams can form another series aswell.

Giblet
Giblet

Please note the topic it is quite specific. There are other threads for electric race cars and thinking out loud.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote:The engines will definitely come just as predicted many times. Read the Fia release which is published by Steven on the front page.

There will not even be a new vote in the F1 commission apparently. The WMSC will potentially execute a fax vote in the next four weeks regarding the question whether the engine should be delayed one more time. If they are delayed I cannot think they will be delayed for more than a year.

Todt has only committed for the running terms of the Fia presidency and I'm sure he wants this issue seen through whatever he decides to do in the future. I don't think Ferrari and Ecclestone have enough clout in the WMSC to cause a delay.
Well WB, a few weeks ago it was set in stone, would certainly run for 2013 and the engine supplies where already deep into the development process. Tow out of these three are not true. It's only the third in need to fail now.

To me they are fading out the concept. And thet will try to make us forget it...

Belatti
Belatti

Does sb know how fast did the 80s turbos rev? 12000 seems too low for F1 to me.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna