2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

thestig84 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:54
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:42
Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:39

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, but calling a decision awful, with no real reason to call it awful, is worth being called out a bit.

It wasn't an awful decision, half the teams made the same call. Must have had an idea of what would happen.

It's like criticising not changing the engine for this race, no one has an idea in reality, but all want to shout it down as terrible.
It's just an in race heat of the moment thing, pretty normal to be invested and to share that in here, I don't see any issues with it.
Go back and read them. I found the posts from Saturday almost as bad as twitter reacting, child like stuff about Norris. Look what he goes and does today. Then following the race seeing more overreaction but now all on strategy criticism.....then look what happens. Just enjoy it here when its not so ott.
There was a couple but you just ignore them, why take it personally? Lando screwed up, he's screwed up a few times now, the observations are not unfair. I did see some folks getting over the top (Was it blastdoman? Sorry if it wasn't you!) who when they get a whiff of critisism for someone open up all their sournness towards a driver, but just move past it. I think I made a couple of comments at the time that it just became trolling, but add them to your ignore list if you don't like it, but being sour in return is just as "ott" :wink:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Obviously a bit more analysis than this is required, but on face value, at the end of the race, Lando's times were a little behind Verstappens, but Max had been in clean air and carefully managed his tyres, whereas Lando had to fight a lot to get to where has was and was largely in dirty air. We can never know how much Max had in the tank and perhaps the idea that we could have taken it to Max is pie in the sky, but I think that Norris looked pretty handy.

-Bandit

thestig84
thestig84

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:49
Btw, listening to Lando talk about qualifying to Sky crew - he said that there was a team mistake yesterday that meant he couldn't finish his medium lap. Could it be that the car was slightly underfueled? I am still not sure if that would have been enough to go through to Q2 but it could explain "an issue" that they could resolve very quickly.
Definitely thought this by the wording and way he said it. He was trying to avoid sort of saying error/blaming anyone, sure he actually mentioned error. I immediately thought under fuelled. Possibly explains why the team were a bit cagey about it in general

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

https://x.com/McLarenF1/status/1718756849732772212?s=20

Lando gave a good race on this young fan's birthday.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:13
https://x.com/McLarenF1/status/1718756849732772212?s=20

Lando gave a good race on this young fan's birthday.
Ahh you're about 4 hours behind, we've all wiped our eyes already :D

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

thestig84 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:11
FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:49
Btw, listening to Lando talk about qualifying to Sky crew - he said that there was a team mistake yesterday that meant he couldn't finish his medium lap. Could it be that the car was slightly underfueled? I am still not sure if that would have been enough to go through to Q2 but it could explain "an issue" that they could resolve very quickly.
Definitely thought this by the wording and way he said it. He was trying to avoid sort of saying error/blaming anyone, sure he actually mentioned error. I immediately thought under fuelled. Possibly explains why the team were a bit cagey about it in general
Yeah. This morning I thought it might have been underfueled - I don't often see engine problems that get fixed in 5 minutes. So when I heard his comment about the team error - I think it has to be something like that.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:08
Obviously a bit more analysis than this is required, but on face value, at the end of the race, Lando's times were a little behind Verstappens, but Max had been in clean air and carefully managed his tyres, whereas Lando had to fight a lot to get to where has was and was largely in dirty air. We can never know how much Max had in the tank and perhaps the idea that we could have taken it to Max is pie in the sky, but I think that Norris looked pretty handy.

https://i.ibb.co/FhnSx85/Maxv-Lando.png
Max was also on the hards tho, which looked pretty crap on most other cars running it.

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:17
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 01:08

https://i.ibb.co/FhnSx85/Maxv-Lando.png
Max was also on the hards tho, which looked pretty crap on most other cars running it.
Yeah but that's just the reverse of what we did last week, what's good for them is good for us. I'm sure that on outright pace they are faster, but you work with the tyres you have available and the strategy your folks come up with and in this race we had the pace to take it to them, I think.

-Bandit

elldizzle
elldizzle

Looks like Piastri had damage.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:19
Mostlyeels wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:14
Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:58
Honestly, this has been more fun to watch, than if Lando started 4 and came 2nd or 3rd.
Totally, though I'll be happy if there's another "easy" podium after this :)

No further action on Piastri v Tsunoda. There was a 5+ second gap back to Albon anyway.
I still want the easy podiums..but occasionally this thing is a great watch. More exciting than some of the podium races.
I agree, a very fun watch!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

McLaren app is saying Piastri had damage.

organic

Mostlyeels wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 02:08
From what point in the race? I can certainly imagine he had damage from the contact with Tsunoda considering they came together twice and his rear left floor might have been touched by Yuki's front right

mwillems

Both the start and with Tsunoda. Not sure where the damage came from at the start, unless parts of Checos car did damage to his. Can't see contact with Russell.

"Oscar was unlucky, picking up damage at the start and more through the race"

-Bandit

djos

Mostlyeels wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 02:08
His engineer told him on the cool down lap that they could see damage in the aero data.

That was a really stupid move by Yuki and he shouldn’t be making those kind of mistakes after 4 years in F1!
"In downforce we trust"

Tomsky
Tomsky