Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F138

Running without a Y75 winglet (monkey seat) ^^

Forza

BCN T03 - Day 4

Hail22

whoa whoa, cooling fins on the engine cover?

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_
stefan_

via Matt Somerfield
Matt Somerfield ‏@SomersF1

Ferrari F138 - New 7 Tier Front Wing on for @alo_oficial notice the change in Endplate & Footplate ethos

Last edited by stefan_ on 03 Mar 2013, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Vanja #66

amouzouris wrote:Running without a Y75 winglet (monkey seat) ^^
Which is to say, plenty of grip in the rear, right?

Autosport:
Alonso was the quickest of all so far today in the first sector, set a personal best in the second, but lost out in the third.
So, good top speed, good mid-speed/high-speed corner traction, mechanical grip somewhat lesser, could that be a noteworthy verdict at the moment?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Nando
Nando

Or a small conscious slow down in the last sector to keep people in the dark of their ultimate performance.

So much floor!! :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

RicerDude

Sky Sports were saying yesterday that the car looked like it lacked traction so that makes sense.

stefan_
stefan_

Hail22 wrote:whoa whoa, cooling fins on the engine cover?

http://i.imgur.com/VMBrO35.jpg
Those are the rag's foldings. or are you talking about the low-left things that appear to stand out?
Last edited by stefan_ on 03 Mar 2013, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

amouzouris

@Vanja We can't really say that as the monkey seat doesn't produce almost any downforce. It is used to help keep the flow attached on the RW. So if they are not just testing the effects running without it, then we can say that they are not experiencing any problems with early detachment of the flow on the RW.

P.S. The monkey seat induces quite a lot of drag for the very little downforce it produces

infy
infy

Well we had reports yesterday that Ferrari is still struggling with traction in slow corners. Maybe off throttle engine maps are not as good as on the Reno engines and so there is more of a balance shift when applying power, which upsets the car.

Hail22

stefan_ wrote:
Hail22 wrote:whoa whoa, cooling fins on the engine cover?

http://i.imgur.com/VMBrO35.jpg
Those are the rag's foldings.
No stefan not the rags mate look directly south of the exhaust ramp and look against the engine cover...there are lumps/sharp edges protruding out slightly

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Vanja #66

amouzouris wrote:@Vanja We can't really say that as the monkey seat doesn't produce almost any downforce. It is used to help keep the flow attached on the RW. So if they are not just testing the effects running without it, then we can say that they are not experiencing any problems with early detachment of the flow on the RW.

P.S. The monkey seat induces quite a lot of drag for the very little downforce it produces
So... plenty of grip at the rear. :D

Joking aside, I didn't really think that it produces much DF (and it's clear that the L/D ratio is low. What I concluded is that using the little monkey helps in some way when you have problems at the rear. Since it's not solving drag issues, it's helping with the grip in some way... Is that fair to say?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

amouzouris

Vanja #66 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:@Vanja We can't really say that as the monkey seat doesn't produce almost any downforce. It is used to help keep the flow attached on the RW. So if they are not just testing the effects running without it, then we can say that they are not experiencing any problems with early detachment of the flow on the RW.

So... plenty of grip at the rear. :D

Joking aside, I didn't really think that it produces much DF (and it's clear that the L/D ratio is low. What I concluded is that using the little monkey helps in some way when you have problems at the rear. Since it's not solving drag issues, it's helping with the grip in some way... Is that fair to say?
Yes. That is basically it

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 4 (03.03.2013)

High resolution: 1 | 2 | 3(back/diffuser) | 4 (top) | 5 (top) | 6 (exhaust) | 7
Last edited by stefan_ on 03 Mar 2013, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

This car is the back end of an FW34, mid of an MP4-27/8 and their own front end.