F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Jozsusz wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:17
Well, the thing is, that many people try to deny it, but this year so far Merc got it wrong.

It'll be interesting to see if they can come back again.

Well, they have the best driver for sure...
How do we know they got it wrong? today is the first day they have really done any kind of performance runs and even then we dont know fuel power modes or anything same goes for every team

muramasa
muramasa

Jozsusz wrote:
Well, the thing is, that many people try to deny it, but this year so far Merc got it wrong.

No, the thing is that how some people like to jump on one dubious info from another and come to hasty immature conclusion is wrong and only shows lack of literacy.

Jambier

According to french journalist:

- Renault used a "2019 lab" engine with many captors for the first two days.
- Since yesterday they have installed the 2019 engine. That Spec will go to Melbourne. They where running a bit late to deliver engine for first days.

No idea what is on the Mclaren then.

SiLo

I'm wondering if the front wing concept on the Ferrari, Alpha and TR is less draggy but creates less downforce, so they are getting heat into the tyres better and able to turn them on in these cooler temperatures, meaning on short runs they look very quick.

We already have pics of cold graining on the Mercedes which would indicate they arent generating enough heat in the tyres yet in these cooler conditions.

If you look at the long runs, the Mercs are very, very quick and consistent when compared to the other teams with a different FW concept. Wondering if the cold temps are now having a slightly larger effect.
Felipe Baby!

Shrieker

Johnny Herbert saying the Merc looks the heaviest of all (fuel load) from the trackside. I'll take his word over any one of you right now tbh.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

NathanOlder

Didn't Mercedes look better on the long runs than Ferrari earlier in the week ? And at this point Mercedes have set a faster lap all week than Ferrari, yet Mercedes are screwed and got it all wrong? what am I missing ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

The Engineer
The Engineer

Jozsusz wrote:

Can you explain what they have got wrong and why you have come to this conclusion.

motobaleno

F1Fan2018 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:25
Jozsusz wrote:

How do we know they got it wrong? today is the first day they have really done any kind of performance runs and even then we dont know fuel power modes or anything same goes for every team
well, IF what yourself is writing is right (and I am not sure at all of this) then you are confirming what are you trying to deny, because if those whrere really performance runs...well mercedes is pretty slow presently.

siskue2005

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:28
Didn't Mercedes look better on the long runs than Ferrari earlier in the week ? And at this point Mercedes have set a faster lap all week than Ferrari, yet Mercedes are screwed and got it all wrong? what am I missing ?
You are not missing anything, just people hoping for Merc to screw up

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:29
NathanOlder wrote:
I'm a hardcore Merc fan, but still i can't go along everyone who says (including Hukneberg) that the SF90h looks better on the track.

F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

motobaleno wrote:
F1Fan2018 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:25
Jozsusz wrote:

well, IF what yourself is writing is right (and I am not sure at all of this) then you are confirming what are you trying to deny, because if those whrere really performance runs...well mercedes is pretty slow presently.
Im assuming your thinking Ferrari have done some kind of performance tests too, else I have no idea how you came to your conclusion, just to make it clear I dont think Merc or Ferrari have done any major performance running, so to say Merc got it wrong im not suire how you get this? im not bashing you just curious how you get to this conclusion.

Giblet
Giblet

Jozsusz wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:32
siskue2005 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
I'm a hardcore Merc fan, but still i can't go along everyone who says (including Hukneberg) that the SF90h looks better on the track.
I tend to trust the people IN formula 1. We are not there and don't have perspective, they are and they do.

If I have an opinion that is against what everyone IN f1 has, then I assume I most likely wrong.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

muramasa
muramasa

Jambier wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 15:27
According to french journalist:

- Renault used a "2019 lab" engine with many captors for the first two days.
- Since yesterday they have installed the 2019 engine. That Spec will go to Melbourne. They where running a bit late to deliver engine for first days.

No idea what is on the Mclaren then.
Highly unlikely or nigh impossible. If that is true, Renault's 2018 engine and 2019 engine has to be totally identical in architecture to the subtlest detail. Just no way. From common sense of engineering, most likely it's just different iterations of the same spec being trialed and that got misinterpreted/mistranslated.

jumpingfish

Any information about how Ferrari "eats" tyres? Much more than Merc or ~ equally?

motobaleno

siskue2005 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
hey guys! please some consistency. first you warn people not to overread on testing time and then you completely distort evidence:
what you call "faster lap" has been set on C4 in a 4 lap stint. ferrari set a near identical time on C3 in a 12 lap stint...so please...as for long runs...until GP simulation we will not know anything about fuel loads and WITHOUT CONSIDERING fuel load, until now the fastest long stints are again ferrari's one