2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

I think a polar opposite in wind direction makes it hard to identify how the lap time was gained. The speed differential is probably there. I just dont think the 2024 car is that much slower on the straights, and the 2023 probably is not that much slower in the degners and spoon (where it had a tail wind vs a headwind for the 2024 car)

PierreW
PierreW

Flawless victory, with another 1-2.

Max with the pole position, the win and the fastest lap. Perez a solid second position , was not threatened at all and make quick work of all other drivers when he had to. The team did not lose track of the best strategy when the other tried a lot of things.

Honda engineer celebrate another home victory for their PU.

The car was significantly faster than Ferrari, the statement needed to be made for RB.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think it was an okay performance. The car was not perfect by any means and they still had a balance issue on high fuel, but they made something of it and car got better and better towards the end according to Max. Plenty of work to do to understand and correct.

The sprint weekend in China will be an experience....

venkyhere
venkyhere

I got carried away by the long run pace numbers from FPs. The 1s advantage Ferrari seemed to have, tricked me into thinking that Ferrari has a realistic 0.2-0.3 advantage in race pace.
In the actual race, Max was consistently 0.5 per lap faster than Ferraris. Talk about mega sandbagging in FPs.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

venkyhere wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:32
I got carried away by the long run pace numbers from FPs. The 1s advantage Ferrari seemed to have, tricked me into thinking that Ferrari has a realistic 0.2-0.3 advantage in race pace.
In the actual race, Max was consistently 0.5 per lap faster than Ferraris. Talk about mega sandbagging in FPs.
Red Bull changed the car after FP3 so their performance in FP3 has less value.

organic

venkyhere wrote:
Since midway through 2023 they've sometimes had really slow long runs in free practice. Some weekends only. It's just something to be aware of

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:10
I think it was an okay performance. The car was not perfect by any means and they still had a balance issue on high fuel, but they made something of it and car got better and better towards the end according to Max. Plenty of work to do to understand and correct.

It seems the RB20 has traded some high fuel performance for quality performance vs the RB19.

If on high speed circuits Sainz is almost matching Checo, there will be plenty of races where Ferrari will be better than Checo and will be making Max work for his wins.

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:37
venkyhere wrote:
Since midway through 2023 they've sometimes had really slow long runs in free practice. Some weekends only. It's just something to be aware of
Fact is they usually run higher fuel and lower engine modes than others. Ferrari is a bit more aggressive in FP, still, RB did not have half a second here. It's exaggerated by traffic.

avantman
avantman

venkyhere wrote:
Max had a very clear track in front of him all day. SAinz was battling through traffic and loosing both race time and tire wear. Ferrari should have been a lot closer, if their strategy team made it easier for Sainz, but they seem to be doing the opposite.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Cassius wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It seems the RB20 has traded some high fuel performance for quality performance vs the RB19.
I'm not sure that there are enough races to conclude this yet. In Bahrain, another high deg circuit, they were the only team using the soft tires for two stints without any degradation (in Max's case).

Cassius
Cassius

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 09:45
Cassius wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I'm not sure that there are enough races to conclude this yet. In Bahrain, another high deg circuit, they were the only team using the soft tires for two stints without any degradation (in Max's case).
I haven't seen any of the dominant tyre deg performance in any of the races so far. In all 3 races Max finished at least one of the Ferraris looked better at the end of the stint.

Today Max was going into the 38s on his first stint while Leclerc was able to keep doing mid 37s today.

Max has so far never said their race pace will be fine after a qualifying and Marlo has stated many times they are worried about their race pace.

To me it is clear they have lost some of their deg superiority.

Waché mentioned they wanted to improve kerb riding, low speed and qualifying performance while keeping their advantage in deg and high speed.

They succeeded in all except the deg.

chrisc90

It’s all just tyre management though.

Would have to compare RBR to Carlos who ran a equal strategy to see what def was like

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

In my view the current balance that RB20 has between Qualifying and Race is about perfect... Last year was too one sided where they had a clear race pace and deg advantage but suffered in qualifying.

There's no advantage in being faster last 4 laps of a stint or keeping tyres alive for long, better to have tyres get upto temperature quickly and have better outlaps.

Those days of 2013 Australian GP performance by Kimi are long gone.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

PierreW
PierreW

Max was faster at the end of the race than Sainz, despite older tyres and was even able to get the fastest lap. RB also had the best working tyres on the first medium stint compared to the rest of the field.

It was a dominating performance, both over a lap and over the whole race. The car was also much faster to overtake others than any other cars.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

PierreW wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 11:10
Max was faster at the end of the race than Sainz, despite older tyres and was even able to get the fastest lap. RB also had the best working tyres on the first medium stint compared to the rest of the field.

It was a dominating performance, both over a lap and over the whole race. The car was also much faster to overtake others than any other cars.
Max tyres were just 2 laps older than Sainz.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.