2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I think I read an interview with him recently and he just says that McLaren has everything it takes to win. There was no hint of any major upgrades or anything like that.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

I find F1 content to be borderline unwatchable right now as it pertains to the McLaren drivers.

The bias and wish casting in favor of Oscar Piastri is all the rage right now. And it's mostly a means of cutting Lando Norris down. Because Norris isn't the trendy driver right now.

The narrative how Piastri is the better driver because of one overtake. Norris is leading Piastri 13 to 4 in qualifying. And here almost everyone is saying how close Piastri is. When is the last time a driver was getting this much praise , who was getting so badly beat by their teammate? In Zanvoort, Norris completely dog walked Piastri.

This all stems from Hamilton fans hating Norris now because of his comment in the cooldown room. Also , some of it is Max fans. No matter what podcast I listen to, it is all Oscar Piastri wish casting. Without a hint of objectivity.

I remember when a driver who was leading his teammate 13 to 4 in qualifying was considered the #1 by default. Imagine it was Lewis Hamilton leading George Russell by 13 to 4 and Hamilton was in the title fight , and George pulled a stunt like the pass in Monza. He would be getting destroyed in the media for being a little puke trying to spoil a title fight for his own greedy aims.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Agree -- i think there is a lot of animosity from LH fans and LEC fans that it is not their chosen one who could potentially stop Max's title run which is why Lando has suddenly become chief villain. Not new and has happened in the history of every sport but interesting to see the evolution of Lando's image in real time

dialtone
dialtone

Macklaren wrote:Agree -- i think there is a lot of animosity from LH fans and LEC fans that it is not their chosen one who could potentially stop Max's title run which is why Lando has suddenly become chief villain. Not new and has happened in the history of every sport but interesting to see the evolution of Lando's image in real time
Lando is great, he’s no villain. I wish him to win WDC.

How people are evaluating him has nothing to do with wishing their driver was the one winning, they are treating Lando with respect.

Benii6
Benii6

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 22:30
I find F1 content to be borderline unwatchable right now as it pertains to the McLaren drivers.

The bias and wish casting in favor of Oscar Piastri is all the rage right now. And it's mostly a means of cutting Lando Norris down. Because Norris isn't the trendy driver right now.

The narrative how Piastri is the better driver because of one overtake. Norris is leading Piastri 13 to 4 in qualifying. And here almost everyone is saying how close Piastri is. When is the last time a driver was getting this much praise , who was getting so badly beat by their teammate? In Zanvoort, Norris completely dog walked Piastri.

This all stems from Hamilton fans hating Norris now because of his comment in the cooldown room. Also , some of it is Max fans. No matter what podcast I listen to, it is all Oscar Piastri wish casting. Without a hint of objectivity.

I remember when a driver who was leading his teammate 13 to 4 in qualifying was considered the #1 by default. Imagine it was Lewis Hamilton leading George Russell by 13 to 4 and Hamilton was in the title fight , and George pulled a stunt like the pass in Monza. He would be getting destroyed in the media for being a little puke trying to spoil a title fight for his own greedy aims.
Finally someone said it. =D>

Henri
Henri

TeamKoolGreen wrote:

You dn't what you talking about stop trolling .. i know you are a george fan lol

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I do think Norris is the faster driver at the moment but he is too much of a good guy at the moment. So he gets bullied in some situations. I think Austria, Hungary and Italy GPs this year will make him a harder driver and the narrative will immediately change.

Piastri seems to be naturally more elbows out in F1 and he has good potential but his pace at the moment is slower than Norris.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Can we all take a little step away from the blatant fanboy style posting please?

Mine is better than yours is wholly appropriate when you are in junior school.

Keep it well away from the finger pointing at "other fans" and baiting for responses
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Balalu
Balalu

As a McLaren fan, I don't give a hoot who is the winning driver. They are both our drivers and I support them both. But the truth is, mathematics aside, Lando is our only real glimmer of hope for a WDC this year. McLaren should throw all their weight around him, no compromises.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Waz
Waz

The reality is that Norris has had the best or equal best car at every race since Miami, and in that time, Verstappen has scored 9 more points than him.

The other reality is that despite some shocking race operations in Miami and Silverstone at least, Oscar has only scored 9 fewer points than Norris since Miami.

McLaren know this, and know that since the breakthrough, the drivers are fairly equal in results.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Waz wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 21:19
The reality is that Norris has had the best or equal best car at every race since Miami, and in that time, Verstappen has scored 9 more points than him.

The other reality is that despite some shocking race operations in Miami and Silverstone at least, Oscar has only scored 9 fewer points than Norris since Miami.

McLaren know this, and know that since the breakthrough, the drivers are fairly equal in results.
Reality is that your stats prove that, even if both drivers remain equal for the rest of the season, Lando has a better chance of the WDC. Max still has to be the favourite given his lead, but Oscar has a worse chance than Lewis and noone is suggesting Merc back him for the title.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PapayaFan481 wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 22:00

Reality is that your stats prove that, even if both drivers remain equal for the rest of the season, Lando has a better chance of the WDC. Max still has to be the favourite given his lead, but Oscar has a worse chance than Lewis and noone is suggesting Merc back him for the title.
Why does Oscar have a worse chance than Lewis when he's ahead of Lewis in the points and has a faster car than Lewis? Oscar might not be as complete yet as Lewis, but the car has more than enough performance to make up that difference and then some.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 10 Sep 2024, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

bananapeel23

TeamKoolGreen wrote:

I don't think anyone is claiming Oscar is the better driver here and now. They are saying he is more likeable and likely has a higher ceiling.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 22:03
PapayaFan481 wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 22:00

Why does Oscar have a worse chance than Lewis when he's ahead of Lewis in the points and has a faster car than Lewis? Oscar might not be as complete yet as Lewis, but the car has more than enough performance to make up that difference and then some.
Apologies, I had in my head that Oscar was behind Lewis 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oscar is behind Charles though and my point stands for Charles
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Balalu
Balalu

Point is, Lando is our only realistic chance at the WDC title this season. All other points are irrelevant. Oscar knows this and I believe he is mature enough to help Lando, meaning the team, if he is asked to at this point.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen