2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

SectorOne wrote:Arguably the pressure is all on Verstappen. Hes the guy touted as some kind of Senna so if he gets whipped by Sainz his career can be very shortlived.
I doubt that though. I think Red Bull does see something special in Verstappen and with 17 years of age, I doubt that he's got a single season time to prove his worth. It's the press that compares Verstappen with a hero like Senna. He has proven that he's quick, but F1 is an entire different animal. I think he can quickly adapt though.

But... look at Sainz. If he gets beaten by Verstappen, you'd think his career won't be shortlived?

DarkJRO

WaikeCU wrote:...

I doubt that though. I think Red Bull does see something special in Verstappen and with 17 years of age, I doubt that he's got a single season time to prove his worth. It's the press that compares Verstappen with a hero like Senna. He has proven that he's quick, but F1 is an entire different animal. I think he can quickly adapt though.

But... look at Sainz. If he gets beaten by Verstappen, you'd think his career won't be shortlived?
Have to agree with this.

Although i think they both have a free season here. At RBR things seems sorted out so there shoulb bo no need to get the next RBR Driver within one or two seasons.
Greetings
Dark JRO

Vasconia

Quali:

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Raikkonen
7. Ricciardo
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Button

Race:

1. Rosberg
2. Bottas
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
6. Massa
7. Raikkonen
8. Kyvat
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

Both Mclaren DNF.
Riccardo DNF.

I wish it could rain!

f1316
f1316

f1316 wrote:
GPR-A wrote: Based on what? Paul Hembrey of Pirelli, kept saying that, because they expect the power units to get more powerful, it would already add more stress on tyres and they are not planning to add any other variable into tyres by trying to be aggressive. It would be wishful thinking if someone believes that the tyres would become achilles heal for Merc because if someone has paid a huge price to learn about tyres, it's Merc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116145
Pirelli is hopeful that it will be able to test its 2015 Formula 1 tyres for the first time in the post-Abu Dhabi Grand Prix test.

AUTOSPORT understands that McLaren and Force India were objecting to a proposal by Pirelli to run development tyres in the week after the season finale.

However, Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said on Friday that he was optimistic a deal could now be reached so teams could try the new specification tyres before next year.

"It seems that the two teams that were objecting might not object anymore," he said.

"So I think if we go with extra sets on top of the annual allocation, hopefully we can do that."

The changes to the 2015 tyres are only minor, relating to construction and a potentially different compound for the supersoft.

"They are not hugely different - there is a structural change but it is not massive," added Hembery.

"The compounding elements are similar to this year and I think you will see that really for the next two years.

"We don't have any ability to test anyway; more or less where you are today is where you have to be.

"We have a year where we have been in line with a number of pitstops.

"The races could perhaps have been a bit more interesting if there was more of a challenge for the teams.

"But if the cars do get quicker, what is maybe not such a challenge today could become a big challenge tomorrow if you stand still."
We all can wish for great racing and not one team dominating, but when reality is so obviously glaring, it's hard to remain any more optimistic.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I read this differently .

I'm reading hembrey saying that they're going to leave the tyres much the same - not do anything aggressive to change them- but because the cars will be faster, the tyres will become a challenge because they've stood still.

I'm pretty sure I remember him saying something like 'what seemed conservative last year may be quite aggressive this year ' because the tyres are faster. Will try and find the quote.
He admits that such a speed increase, through aerodynamic developments and engine upgrades, will be a test for the Pirelli compounds.

'"It means for our tyres that what was last year a conservative choice might actually be quite aggressive this season."

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117443

SectorOne

WaikeCU wrote:I doubt that though. I think Red Bull does see something special in Verstappen and with 17 years of age, I doubt that he's got a single season time to prove his worth. It's the press that compares Verstappen with a hero like Senna. He has proven that he's quick, but F1 is an entire different animal. I think he can quickly adapt though.

No it´s not just the press,
Red Bull junior team boss Helmut Marko has likened the abilities of new Toro Rosso Formula 1 signing Max Verstappen to those of the late Ayrton Senna.
strong words and an awful lot of pressure for a 17 year old. Sainz in my opinion has zero pressure, if he gets beaten well the Senna thing was true. If he beats Verstappen his stock will rise tremendously.
He´s got far less to lose then Verstappen.

I hope for Verstappen´s sake he blitzes Sainz.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jordan44

Vasconia wrote:Quali:

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Raikkonen
7. Ricciardo
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Button

Race:

1. Rosberg
2. Bottas
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
6. Massa
7. Raikkonen
8. Kyvat
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

Both Mclaren DNF.
Riccardo DNF.

I wish it could rain!
On what grounds do you think Hamilton will possibly finish fourth? The Merc looks as dominant as last year and it's a definite 1 or 2 if the car works. The only team that could be a threat this year is Honda. We don't know their performance yet.

Phil

It only takes a "bad start" - perhaps starting on the unclean side to see 2 cars pass, for a Merc to end up in traffic and Melbourne isn't exactly that easy to overtake. So, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it won't be a Merc 1&2 finish, even if they are quite dominant. Lots of things can happen during a race...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

iotar__

SectorOne wrote:
Red Bull junior team boss Helmut Marko has likened the abilities of new Toro Rosso Formula 1 signing Max Verstappen to those of the late Ayrton Senna.
strong words and an awful lot of pressure for a 17 year old. Sainz in my opinion has zero pressure, if he gets beaten well the Senna thing was true. If he beats Verstappen his stock will rise tremendously. He´s got far less to lose then Verstappen. I hope for Verstappen´s sake he blitzes Sainz.
Any words before he even competed in F1 especially from RB mean nothing, it's in their work description to hype every single one of their drivers. The more they need it the bigger the hype. BTW why beating Sainz (or vice versa) would mean anything, who is Sainz in F1 especially if Verstappen is RB's chosen driver? Vergne was better than Kvyat and it meant nothing.

Verstappen may be great for his age or in general but at this point it's just annoying marketing by association. Every even the most absurd comparison works: new Schumachers, new Sennas, James (before he won a championship, that's why it was needed) better than Jordan, Upton - new Marilyn Monroe (because she is in one move). Just putting two names together even if it's immediately dismissed is positive because it puts an idea in your head. By a complete accident Red Bull came up with Senna and boy-genius (shame on him) jumped in with scripted Alonso comparison. Why not new Vettel :wink: ?

Speaking of hype and negative hype. It will be funny if out of six drivers behind Merc Massa often turns out to be the best. All "not the same after accident" theories and driver hierarchies crumbling. His strong point: best starts should help, race pace/tyres - a problem. I doubt that tyres will be problematic in general, especially later in the season, on the contrary I think Pirelli are just defending conservative choices. If they put the same tyres in Russia it won't be any different than last season.

Jordan44

Phil wrote:It only takes a "bad start" - perhaps starting on the unclean side to see 2 cars pass, for a Merc to end up in traffic and Melbourne isn't exactly that easy to overtake. So, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it won't be a Merc 1&2 finish, even if they are quite dominant. Lots of things can happen during a race...
Hungary is supposed to be a circuit that's difficult to overtake. Hamilton blitzed through the field. In a car as dominant as the Merc I don't really think the difficult to overtake rule applies, Monaco is an exception. Plus I don't think there's many drivers on the grid that would want to concentrate on defending against a much faster Merc for the entire race. We saw it last year, Jenson just accepted the Merc is faster and made it easier to pass.

If he was predicting contact like in Belgium or an issue in qualifying which sent Hamilton to make the back of the grid it would make sense. But I don't see the logic in their prediction which is why I'm wanting them to explain it.

Phil

J0rd4n - you are taking this far too seriously. There could be hundreds of reasons why a Merc might not end on the podium or on the top 2 spots. Sit back, enjoy the rampant speculation (which are as good as anyones guess) and watch how it will unfold next sunday. Besides, if the forecast is to be believed and we may see a wet race, the gap between cars will be smaller - so a bad start could well see a front row starter being pushed back etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jordan44

Phil wrote:J0rd4n - you are taking this far too seriously. There could be hundreds of reasons why a Merc might not end on the podium or on the top 2 spots. Sit back, enjoy the rampant speculation (which are as good as anyones guess) and watch how it will unfold next sunday. Besides, if the forecast is to be believed and we may see a wet race, the gap between cars will be smaller - so a bad start could well see a front row starter being pushed back etc.
I'm simply asking for his justification.

Chene_Mostert

J0rd4n wrote:

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Raikkonen
7. Ricciardo
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Button

Race:

1. Rosberg
2. Bottas
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
6. Massa
7. Raikkonen
8. Kyvat
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

Both Mclaren DNF.
Riccardo DNF.

I wish it could rain!
On what grounds do you think Hamilton will possibly finish fourth? The Merc looks as dominant as last year and it's a definite 1 or 2 if the car works. The only team that could be a threat this year is Honda. We don't know their performance yet.
On what grounds do you think Honda will possibly be a challenge as opposed to other teams with one years experience with the new PU's?
I have down voted you, even when we speculate or hope for a specific outcome we need to apply some form of logic though process.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Jordan44

Chene_Mostert wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Massa
6. Raikkonen
7. Ricciardo
8. Hulkenberg
9. Kvyat
10. Button

Race:

1. Rosberg
2. Bottas
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
6. Massa
7. Raikkonen
8. Kyvat
9. Hulkenberg
10. Perez

Both Mclaren DNF.
Riccardo DNF.

I wish it could rain!
On what grounds do you think Honda will possibly be a challenge as opposed to other teams with one years experience with the new PU's?
I have down voted you, even when we speculate or hope for a specific outcome we need to apply some form of logic though process.
I'm just going by what everyone else is saying, much like everyone else is expecting Mercedes to dominate. There is inherit performance in the Honda power unit if the rumours are to be believed. My comment on Honda wasn't particularly necessary. Of course they're not going to be on it from the start. Based on testing it's clear they're ahead of Williams and Ferrari but we don't really know where Honda stand, so I just slipped it in there.

Richard
Richard

Phil wrote:Sit back, enjoy the rampant speculation (which are as good as anyones guess) and watch how it will unfold next sunday.
That's pretty much spot on. That's also why we don't have voting in this thread.

PlatinumZealot

I'm predicting a thrashing for Rosberg. Hamilton will get him off Gaurd again because of the tyre choice.

Dry Race:
HAM
ROS + 15 (then order to turn down engine)
MAS + 30
BOT + 31 (breathing down massa's neck)
VET + 34
RIC + 34
RAI + 38
GRO + 40
ALO + 41
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028