Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes W13

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mchamilton wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:54
Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:29
AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:47
Brightened..
https://i.imgur.com/xBsUBKn.png
If you crop this picture between the sharkfin and sidepod inlets, it could almost pass for any Merc from the past 3 to 4 years. So like McLaren, they appear to think there is still merit to the shrinkwrapped sidepod packaging.
If theyre creating outwash with front of the sidepod, then shrink wrapping as much as possible further back would reduce the chance of any of the turbulent outwash flow from reattatching to the bodywork. Then of course, clean high energy air onto the top of the floor is always going be beneficial.
The "barge board" outer turning vane will create a strong vortex that pulls air down from above the floor, the turning vane behind the mirror will do the same. The nett effect being to create downwash over the shoulder of the sidepod and down on to the exposed floor. The two vortices are rotating the same way, so will merge/reinforce each other if they meet on the floor edge. That will all help push air out sideways along the side of the car, I guess.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

matt_s
matt_s

Santozini wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:45
Could it be that they didn't have enough time/resources to explore other concepts due to the tight battle with RB last year until the very end? So they decided to go with what they knew worked?
Don't forget that the regulation changes were supposed to be for '21. The teams have been working on the base concept for a couple of years.

Also, other teams (other than RBR) have more incentive to try something risky on the concept because they've been unable to challenge Merc and RBR, even with the convergence under the previous regulations.

JPower
JPower

Good pics. While the McLaren uses a similar concept, I think the Mercedes looks packaged better towards the rear.

Interesting that both Mercedes and Ferrari are going with the long nose tip.

PlatinumZealot

McLaren is trying too many new things at once like the pull rod front, push rod rear, so even though they had time to spare to work on these mechanical innovations, as aero development was banned for a period post 2020, I still feel McLaren has too much on their plate for this season.

On the other hand, I reckon Mercedes is playing it smarter, focusing on mastering the aero and cooling first, getting on top of these regulations in race conditions before going too wild on explorations.

If anything 2023 is when we will see the wild side of Mercedes again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

AeroDynamic

marvin78
marvin78

It has just gotten to hot ;)

Sevach
Sevach

cplchanb
cplchanb

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:51
McLaren is trying too many new things at once like the pull rod front, push rod rear, so even though they had time to spare to work on these mechanical innovations, as aero development was banned for a period post 2020, I still feel McLaren has too much on their plate for this season.

On the other hand, I reckon Mercedes is playing it smarter, focusing on mastering the aero and cooling first, getting on top of these regulations in race conditions before going too wild on explorations.

If anything 2023 is when we will see the wild side of Mercedes again.
Remember when the w04 and 05 looked so plain in the aero department especially the simple rw endplates vs other teams trying to use the most complex louver systems. Yet they cleaned them all up. I have a feeling this may be a repeat

Morteza

Hi-res photo by Mercedes
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

cplchanb
cplchanb

First team to have something other than plain black wheel covers!! =D>

Also hamilton is doing part time work as trackside engineer lol

dren

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:40
Mchamilton wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:54
Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:29

If you crop this picture between the sharkfin and sidepod inlets, it could almost pass for any Merc from the past 3 to 4 years. So like McLaren, they appear to think there is still merit to the shrinkwrapped sidepod packaging.
If theyre creating outwash with front of the sidepod, then shrink wrapping as much as possible further back would reduce the chance of any of the turbulent outwash flow from reattatching to the bodywork. Then of course, clean high energy air onto the top of the floor is always going be beneficial.
The "barge board" outer turning vane will create a strong vortex that pulls air down from above the floor, the turning vane behind the mirror will do the same. The nett effect being to create downwash over the shoulder of the sidepod and down on to the exposed floor. The two vortices are rotating the same way, so will merge/reinforce each other if they meet on the floor edge. That will all help push air out sideways along the side of the car, I guess.
Falls in line with their past few concepts.
Honda!

siskue2005

Any photos of the tea tray/ bib ?

gandharva