Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: Mercedes W14 Speculation Thread

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:33

So that could point towards a different rear suspension style and a different floor underneath.
I think this is 100% definite.

chrisc90

f1jcw wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 20:00
chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:33

So that could point towards a different rear suspension style and a different floor underneath.
I think this is 100% definite.
Definitely a lot of chance of it being right.

I do wonder what the issue could have been with their suspension. I think if they still keep the zero pod design they will still have a mountain of drag (like a parachute - the drivers say) on the longer straights.

f1jcw
f1jcw

If you believe them, it wasn't designed to give enough travel.

Vaexa
Vaexa

Venturiation wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 19:50
Vaexa wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 15:10
Fuel and engine oil were homologated at the start of the 2022 season (march 1) so I can't help but wonder how Petronas intend to bring new fuel.
I have seen multiple reports saying this , but other ones saying fuel can still be changed, maybe once a year like the chassis?

Appendix 4 defines the exceptions for ''reliability''. Beyond those exceptions, no changes in the listed components until 2026 (when the new PU regs go live, obviously).

georgekyr
georgekyr

I wonder how creative it would be to defend what constitutes a more "reliable" fuel...
On the other hand I believe it would be a piece of cake if data showed decreased emissions by the new fuel even if no such thing is included in the rulebook.

Vaexa
Vaexa

georgekyr wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 15:01
I wonder how creative it would be to defend what constitutes a more "reliable" fuel...
On the other hand I believe it would be a piece of cake if data showed decreased emissions by the new fuel even if no such thing is included in the rulebook.
There's a degree of self-policing inherent in reliability update proposals as the other 3 manufacturers essentially need to give their approval, so it's not as simple a matter as dressing it up for the FIA. On top of that, the FIA does demand a certain degree of ''proof'' of an existing reliability issue.
5 Permitted modifications to the homologated power unit elements
5.1 A manufacturer may apply to the FIA during the course of the homologation period to carry
out modifications to the homologated Power Unit elements for the sole purposes of
reliability, safety, cost saving, or minimal incidental changes permitted in 5.4 below.
Applications must be made in writing to the FIA Technical Department and must provide all
necessary supporting information including, where appropriate, clear evidence of failures.
The FIA will circulate the correspondence to all Power Unit Manufacturers for comment. If
the FIA is satisfied, in its absolute discretion, that these changes are acceptable, they will
confirm to the Power Unit Manufacturer concerned that they may be carried out.
Wherever practical, such requests must be submitted at least 14 days before the requested
date of homologation.
Fascinatingly, the rulebook even has a provision for a team changing fuel/oil supplier to avoid teams deriving a performance benefit from this, so it does seem like a rather tightly policed framework.

De Jokke

Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

wogx

Third analysis by Paolo Filisetti, third one with that "double floor" concept in it. Ehmm... :?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

f1jcw
f1jcw

I can’t see much benefit off zero side pods over double floor
The mass is the same, just originated differently

De Jokke

How on earth can Merc make up for this:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/171505/w ... pment.html

W14 will be a step forward but will still be lagging behind, I think.

f1jcw
f1jcw

De Jokke wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 13:26

Only way is if the true performance was being hidden due to issues, and by changing it unlocks what they saw in the wind tunnel.
Not very likely, but live in hope.

Big Tea

De Jokke wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 13:26

I do not believe half of it, or at least, half of the way it is being presented there.

It is quite possible that merc were working on some aspect of it for six months, but no way was six months taken up by nothing but working on the problem alone.
Just the difference in the car from season start to season end shows there has been much development, even though the porpoising undoubtedly interfered with the development path.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

De Jokke

Hmm, if you look at how long it took them to understand their issues with the car and also no upgrades on the car or barely for the first 5 number of races. I do think it has cost them a lot.
I hope for an unlocking of potential which the flawed concept of W13 prevented but I doubt it.
Also still warry of the fact that Abu Dhabi was again a huge gap to the top and again behind Ferrari, but also here, the flawed concept might prevented them doing better than what they showed.

Big Tea

De Jokke wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 21:08
Hmm, if you look at how long it took them to understand their issues with the car and also no upgrades on the car or barely for the first 5 number of races. I do think it has cost them a lot.
I hope for an unlocking of potential which the flawed concept of W13 prevented but I doubt it.
Also still warry of the fact that Abu Dhabi was again a huge gap to the top and again behind Ferrari, but also here, the flawed concept might prevented them doing better than what they showed.
I believe it stopped them using the developments, but they would not have everyone standing about with nothing to do just waiting for a fix. I apologise I did not explain myself properly (which does not bean I an not just plain wrong anyway :mrgreen: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

cplchanb
cplchanb

De Jokke wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 21:08
IMO its the budget cap that slowed their recovery down. Had this been 2020 they wouldve been trialing everything all season due to unlimited spending. with the cap in place they had to be much more selective in their development and it has a cascading effect.