Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Yeah it's not easy to see from other videos but it seems there's a pretty sizeable flow conditioner on the floor inlet slide.

jambuka
jambuka

Is the 200km shakedown complete ? From the on track photos the car seems to be riding pretty high.

Xyz22
Xyz22

jambuka wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:16
Is the 200km shakedown complete ? From the on track photos the car seems to be riding pretty high.
No 200km filming day is tomorrow.

Today they only ran 15km.

deadhead

Last edited by deadhead on 13 Feb 2024, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.

dialtone
dialtone

deadhead wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:21
https://ibb.co/KjQrq7G
That underfloor is so tall you can practically see through half way of the car. There is still a skate.

The flow conditioner on the inlet slide is where the SIS is, not sure what that means aero-wise.

Blackout

I told ya Ferrari can cet much bigger undercut without using a centerline cooling system : )
(by moving the lower sips, using the bib for storage more, etc)

They seem to max out the diffuser volume in side view too Vanja.. it looks sensibly bigger

FDD
FDD

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 15:03
DoctorRadio wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:52
Comparing the sidepods cooling concept of Ferrari and the center line cooling concept of Red Bull/Aston Martin is like apples and oranges.

The undercut looks big nonetheless and they have still a very skinny (relative to Red Bull/AM) engine cover.
Ferrari is clearly moving away from 100% sidepod cooling. They've added centre-line cooling and slimmed down the sidepod.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGNvHRDWUAA ... ame=medium
Cut of on the most upper flap of the front wing on the connection to the side plate

gordonthegun

deadhead

chronogp claim that they've moved everything behind the driver further backwards

Xyz22
Xyz22

deadhead wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:08
chronogp claim that they've moved everything behind the driver further backwards

https://ibb.co/9ZxxTDL

Motorsport Italy reported the same.

FDD
FDD

Floor pavement looks to simple, there is no single cut out.
I think that we can see here important changes.
Also no flow diverters/vortex generators around the back view mirror.
I expect much more details in Shakir test.

Edit: Car looks conventional, let say yes. I think that this is good approach to check changes in the concept and as they say updates are planned already for Japan, where they can go more to the extremes...

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

FDD wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:29
Floor pavement looks to simple, there is no single cut out.
I think that we can see here important changes.
Also no flow diverters/vortex generators around the back view mirror.
I expect much more details in Shakir test.

Edit: Car looks conventional, let say yes. I think that this is good approach to check changes in the concept and as they say updates are planned already for Japan, where they can go more to the extremes...
Yeah, just for me looks Aston more extreme so Ferrari will be there in Japan where now Aston.

LM10
LM10

Blackout wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:29
I told ya Ferrari can cet much bigger undercut without using a centerline cooling system : )

They seem to max out the diffuser volume in side view too Vanja.. it looks sensibly bigger
Yeah, you'be been right indeed! Do you think that they've shrunken the sidepods and made a bigger undercut without moving some of the cooling up - meaning less cooling required overall? Is the purpose of the ramps around the engine cover going all the way to the cannon outlet (like all other cars also have) just for aerodynamic reasons in case of Ferrari?

Andi76
Andi76

I think one thing has to be honored - Ferrari has actually taken a more unique path than most teams so far, because the car is more different from the Red Bull than most of the others. Personally, I'm actually very enthusiastic about this car at the moment, because I think they're doing a lot right here, at least in terms of the approach. Evolution rather than revolution has always been the path to success in F1 when there were no completely new regulations. And that's exactly what Ferrari has done here. They seem (I say seem deliberately!) to have moved the driver position a little further back, which would be an adequate way to improve front-wheel-wake management. If this is the case, it makes me feel positive, because this is a signature that seems just as familiar to me as the Evolution instead of Revolution approach. Keeping the centerline as narrow as possible so that the rear wing gets better airflow has been a good idea in my opinion since the introduction in 2022. The rear wing and the beam wing are the parts of the car that produce the most upwash. Used correctly, this can give the opportunity to drive the floor more than with other solutions. Optimizing the airflow around the cockpit is also aimed at getting an even more optimized airflow to the rear wing and beamwing. So something well thought out and precisely coordinated has definitely been done here.

In the renders, it looks as if Ferrari will retain the hybrid solution of the sidepods and continue to rely on some inwash, which potentially promises more downforce. I'm not disappointed at all, but rather very positively surprised and this car gives me hope. They seem to have kept the good things (instead of copying most of the Red Bull stuff like many others) and combined this with solutions that are known to be good and efficient and (hopefully) improved and "evolved" in the right areas. The F1-75 clearly proved that the basic technology and concept was very good until the TD039 in 2022. In view of this, it seems to me to be a very good solution to adopt the good areas, technologies and concepts of this and the 2023 car, adequately replace the bad ones and eliminate the weak points. And that is generally a much better way to achieve success than simply throwing everything overboard and constantly starting again, or clumsily copying the solutions of the most successful team. That's why I'm very optimistic about this car. And also because the way and manner in which, where and how it was done seems very familiar to me, just like certain concepts and solutions of the F1-75 did at the beginning of the season...

Finally, I would like to say one more thing to those who say or write (media) "Ferrari now also uses the Red Bull intake on the sidepods" - this is not a Red Bull intake. Ferrari actually invented this "underbite" intake in 2017 and used it in 2017 and 2018. Red Bull actually copied it in 2022. So if Red Bull has been running a Ferrari intake since 2022, Ferrari is now using its own invention again!
Last edited by Andi76 on 13 Feb 2024, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Blackout wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 20:29

Nugnes anticipated that one of the goal was to increase the diffuser volume IIRC.

https://it-motorsport-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp