2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Postmoe

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

dr_cooke wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:54
About running so much on Hypers. could it be that McL is betting on xtreme tyre saving setup for this season? I mean, as if they would try to go softer than anybody else on real races...
With tyres, as with springs, the softer the better.

I think hypers are the novelty so it is maybe good to try them from the begining in order to know if long runs are viable under certain circumstances. As Montmeló has changed it's tarmac to somewhat less abrassive, it could make sense.
Pirelli increases degradation of their harder compounds but cannot be so extreme with what would naturally have a short livespan (softer compounds). In other words, hypersofts could have a more natural and stable life under the right circumstances.

GPR-A duplicate2

Postmoe wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:04
dr_cooke wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 14:54
About running so much on Hypers. could it be that McL is betting on xtreme tyre saving setup for this season? I mean, as if they would try to go softer than anybody else on real races...
With tyres, as with springs, the softer the better.

I think hypers are the novelty so it is maybe good to try them from the begining in order to know if long runs are viable under certain circumstances. As Montmeló has changed it's tarmac to somewhat less abrassive, it could make sense.
Pirelli increases degradation of their harder compounds but cannot be so extreme with what would naturally have a short livespan (softer compounds). In other words, hypersofts could have a more natural and stable life under the right circumstances.
With tyres going softer this year, there would be many races which would be 2 stoppers (which were one stopper last year) and it doesn't make sense to design a car that works on Mediums or even Softs. It makes sense to make a car that performs the best on softer tyres, which would be used in 2 stints in races this year. Unlike last year, where it was effective to make a car that was optimized for Softs (this year's hard) and ran one stoppers.

If you can have a car that performs the best on softest range and can go longer in stints, then you are set to gain the most. Mercedes has the tendency to get slower on the softest tyres and becomes stronger and stronger as the rubber gets harder. I doubt that trend would change with W09. There could a possibility that, W09 might even struggle on Hypersoft (as it struggled on UltraSoft through most part of 2017). So, it would be great if MCL33 is optimized for HyperSoft to SuperSoft.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 01 Mar 2018, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

RonDennis
RonDennis

the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:58
Redragon wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:45
Godius wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 10:19

Okay, this Marca site is not that reliable then. Thanks for the heads up.

Marca is reporting on their live stream that various solutions for cooling internally were tested yesterday and they might have found a solution for now.
I still think the whole saga was nothing more than speculative BS, and now their just back tracking because they got it wrong
Well looking at the situation, it's probably a bit more than 'speculative BS', but it will all be fine. This is what testing is for.

kptaylor
kptaylor

About the hypersofts, don't teams request tires for testing just like they do for races or do they get unlimited supplies of any compound that they want? McLaren may have ordered more hypers to get a handle on them.

the EDGE
the EDGE

kptaylor wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:54
About the hypersofts, don't teams request tires for testing just like they do for races or do they get unlimited supplies of any compound that they want? McLaren may have ordered more hypers to get a handle on them.
I've been saying that for a few days, they definitely have to pre-order, but I can find any details about what teams brought with them to this test

Redragon

RonDennis wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 16:14
the EDGE wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 15:58
Redragon wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:45

Marca is reporting on their live stream that various solutions for cooling internally were tested yesterday and they might have found a solution for now.
I still think the whole saga was nothing more than speculative BS, and now their just back tracking because they got it wrong
Well looking at the situation, it's probably a bit more than 'speculative BS', but it will all be fine. This is what testing is for.
They didn't said it was catastrophic but raised concerns with the info they had and now are following the investigation with the info they are given internally. They have been right many times in the past specially with Alonso surroundings as they are close to his coleagues, family and team

Snorked
Snorked

McLaren made an extra set of holes slightly bigger than the previous ones, just under the number decal:

Alonso Fan

[media]https://mobile.twitter.com/McLarenF1/st ... 3260148736[/media]

Had to look at that twice, thought they added a shark fin for a sec!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

bauc

161 laps on the last day of the first test, not bad...not bad at all.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Alonso Fan

bauc wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 19:00
161 laps on the last day of the first test, not bad...not bad at all.
Not bad is an understatement. That's the kind of mileage merc were getting last year. Even they're not getting that much this year.
Today was a great day!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Chanman141
Chanman141

Great mileage today, hopefully they managed to get most of things they wanted done for this week

BrunoH
BrunoH

agreed a great day, and a much needed one.
I think for the second test they will have a slight modified engine cover to eliminate the issues with the heat, maybe they will not need those vents... lets see.

Alonso Fan

BrunoH wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 19:14
agreed a great day, and a much needed one.
I think for the second test they will have a slight modified engine cover to eliminate the issues with the heat, maybe they will not need those vents... lets see.
What I understood from the interview with Bullier was that the problem with the exhaust burned a lot of the back of the car and burned a hole in the heat shield. But they had no choice but to run with that so they had to make do with what they had and manage the issue. So maybe its only the exhaust bolt they need to change. Maybe not even the engine cover (design wise)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Xero

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13460 ... -2-problem

Interesting article on the exhaust/burning issue. Notes to pick up on;
- A £2 bolt failed.
- Replaced gearbox and rear end due to burn damage from exhaust.
- Exhaust also burned a hole in heat shield, leading to bodywork burns.
- The heat shield wasn't replaced due to lack of spares, hence the extra cooling from pitcrew.
- Bolt failure possibly caused by heat pocket in packaging.
- Team will tweak the cooling package to prevent the heat pocket.

As suspected, a very minor issue that can be put to bed.

Good to see some quality running today, every reason to by optimistic.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare