2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ringo

Re: 2014 Design

For Sure!!

ringo

eyalynf1 wrote:
ringo wrote:Yes and whats funny is that i already noticed this earlier in the thread, but looks like i forgot after the new year. :|
Any how everything happens for a reason.. as trying to bypass the regs gave me a cool idea.

Suppose my vanity panel is actually a sharp edge delta wing ?
Do you intend for the delta wings to shed vortices? If so, I would think the vanity panel would shed them rather too high to be useful to the floor or lower part of the sidepods. To get them down, you would need the deltas to have a relatively positive angle of attack, creating lift.

I have considered using chines along the sides of the lowest part of the crash structure nose as an alternative to using the tips of the front wing.

It actually creates downforce. It's angled the opposite way that you would see on an aircraft. The intention is to create downforce, but also to turn the vortices inward to promote more air flow under car.

even though there is some downfroce, the speed of air coming from the vortex will be lowered because of the energy dissipation. This may not be a good thing, but it's not in the vicinity of any part that will need high speed air, and it's a small effect.
For Sure!!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I did a caterham photoshop with the picture above:

with camera pods:

*based upon mcdesign mclaren
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Very nice! Looks similar to what Scarbs intended with his snowplough-nose.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

That looks nice, a double-nose sort of.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

aleks_ader

I think Camera pods most be sligty higer (almost in front Front wishbones?), but it is OK! Otherwise that huge modesty panel. I m not convicet that team will go that route if we imagine this year LOTUS, Caterham, RB "ugly" noses. Aero gain in that "snow" plow design most heavy underweight CofG penalty...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

ringo

It's interesting that the nose seems to be the most investigated thing for the 2014 designs, when we haven't looked at the possibilities of the rest of the car.
The sidepods and the heat exchanger packagagin to me would be most interesting.

We might just see double stacked radiators like the 2012 merc.
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

Seeing Ferrari's sidepod packaging in the past 2 years, wouldn't vertically split radiators be a possibility again?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

'Giando' posted a nice design featuring double staked rads, some 22 pages ago.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 37#p467537
http://st4.divshare.com/launch.php?f=24 ... a&i=normal
http://st4.divshare.com/launch.php?f=24 ... 4&i=normal

Vertical exhaust pipes (a la Ferrari 2014 for example) should make his design easier to package in theory...
Last edited by Blackout on 10 Jan 2014, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

wesley123 wrote:Seeing Ferrari's sidepod packaging in the past 2 years, wouldn't vertically split radiators be a possibility again?
Why not?
http://atspeedimages.com/image.php/5014 ... t_side.jpg
Or sth like this
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2005/733/87.html
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35 ... tovu0.jpg/

SiLo

The caterham nose seems a bit silly, why have the top part of the nose at all? It doesn't seen to have raised the structure enough to benefit.
Felipe Baby!

SectorOne

Regarding rads, Scarbs drawing from the last Autosport mag.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

SiLo wrote:The caterham nose seems a bit silly, why have the top part of the nose at all? It doesn't seen to have raised the structure enough to benefit.
top part is beneficial because of the guidance of air downwards. the lower nose will apply to the regulation demands, whilst at the same time not giving up too much on aerodynamical purposes for the rear and floor of the car.
the higher the 'top nose' will be, the more drag it will cause aswell as unwanted lift. thus ideally, you'd want to benefit from the concept yet minimize the backlash.

i do hope to see a lot of variety, and i really like the original MCdesign mclaren, the very low nose [not the one with the boat bulk]... it's not neccesarily pretty, but it is very cool and refreshing, something F1 has been missing recently [well, regarding exterior that is, F-duct, blown floor, coanda and double/triple diffusers are great inventions ]
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Kolin68
Kolin68

Kolin68
Kolin68