2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Isn't that Andrian Newey far left back row ?

;)

Tomsky
Tomsky

Farnborough wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 15:04

;)
And Ron's in the back row.
Dinner in honor of the 60th anniversary.

trinidefender
trinidefender

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 02:09
chair, wheel, pedals, and "a monitor" :lol:

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/static/img ... 011298.jpg
Ah my apologies. Must have updated the rig at some point. When I saw him sim racing early on in Covid his setup definitely wasn’t that extreme.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Tomsky wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 15:12
Farnborough wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 15:04

;)
And Ron's in the back row.
Dinner in honor of the 60th anniversary.
I’m surprised Gordon Murray isn’t there, I wonder why.

billamend
billamend

trinidefender wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 15:28
AR3-GP wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 02:09
chair, wheel, pedals, and "a monitor" :lol:

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/static/img ... 011298.jpg
Ah my apologies. Must have updated the rig at some point. When I saw him sim racing early on in Covid his setup definitely wasn’t that extreme.
You must be misremembering. Cool Performance is his brother company, and it sponsored Lando’s cars in the junior formulas. Lando has had very serious rigs for a loooong time.

mwillems

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

For anyone into this kind of thing, these are the accounts for Mclaren Racing that have been posted. Income is up by £100m to £328m (Primarily driven by sponsorship increase), but we made a loss of about £43m after non operating costs. Of that, reputedly £14.7m had been cash paid to Daniel Ricciardo and around £8m was used to buy the Formula E Team from Mercedes. Some money was spent on finalising the Indycar purchase also, so the numbers are probably better than the loss suggests, but a loss none the less.

Mclaren Racing Accounts on Companies House
Last edited by mwillems on 11 Nov 2023, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

It’s amazing how journalist can take a couple of lines said in the winners press conference into a whole story a week later.

organic

the EDGE wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 23:00
It’s amazing how journalist can take a couple of lines said in the winners press conference into a whole story a week later.
They did the same with AMR early in the season. Alonso says he would like it if they can develop well and maybe challenge RB after bahrain -> Alonso title challenge??!??!?

Clearly a successful formula for engagement

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
It's fairly par for the course!

-Bandit

mwillems

Don't think I've seen this.

Stella: McLaren 'wary' over resurgent Aston Martin threat

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-wary- ... tin-threat

-Bandit

RonMexico
RonMexico

Stella gave a particularly interesting interview with Tom Clarkson without revealing much. Comes across as emotionally intelligent on top of obvious ability.

Lando is clearly an upper echelon driver in the race, probably the next best to Max. The team and driver need to be more consistent in qualifying. With Oscar you might have the best driver pairing, competing with Alpha Tauri, Ferrari and Mercedes.

McLaren don't have one hand tied behind their backs anymore with their own wind tunnel now operational.

A lot to like, how long until WDC hungry drivers come knocking?

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Thanks for that. I thought the last few paras where Stella talks about the importance of the starting point for development, and how he feels the "gradient of development" is more important were a good insight. Even though the new hires for next season can't or won't have an effect on the launch car, they can certainly impact the in-season "gradient of development" in a big way.

All just feelings: AMR will start the season strongly, Merc will be on top of their "'fluctuating form" as the article so beautifully puts it. Alfa Sauber may move up, if Key can create a good base car for them.

BMMR61

RonMexico wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 01:34
Stella gave a particularly interesting interview with Tom Clarkson without revealing much. Comes across as emotionally intelligent on top of obvious ability.

Lando is clearly an upper echelon driver in the race, probably the next best to Max. The team and driver need to be more consistent in qualifying. With Oscar you might have the best driver pairing, competing with Alpha Tauri, Ferrari and Mercedes.

McLaren don't have one hand tied behind their backs anymore with their own wind tunnel now operational.

A lot to like, how long until WDC hungry drivers come knocking?
In about eight or nine months if this trajectory continues. :)

BMMR61

organic wrote:
11 Nov 2023, 23:02
the EDGE wrote:
They did the same with AMR early in the season. Alonso says he would like it if they can develop well and maybe challenge RB after bahrain -> Alonso title challenge??!??!?

Clearly a successful formula for engagement
Nevertheless, good basis for optimism for the 2024 car. Yes RedBull weren't engaged in a season-long battle with a close competitor requiring late development but..... McLaren's last upgrades were installed at Singapore in September. Allowing a few weeks of fabrication that actually means the design office were finished on this year's car in August at the latest. Hardly a late start, and lots of extremely strong data coming through with the gains made including setup data acquisition. While they have a clear new platform objective for the "MCL61" I believe it will be more evolutionary than revolutionary, due to positive correlation of the developments. Evolutionary is always a safer route than revolutionary - as I said, good ground for optimism of the new car.