2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
billamend
billamend

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Arcanum wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:11
Had Lando not backed up Perez, we would likely have been looking at a different race outcome, with Paistri needing to overtake both Perez and Leclerc for the win.
Norris doing for Piastri what Piastri hasn’t done for him yet.

Venturiation
Venturiation

billamend wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:04
Arcanum wrote:
Had Lando not backed up Perez, we would likely have been looking at a different race outcome, with Paistri needing to overtake both Perez and Leclerc for the win.
Yes not qualifying in P17

Seerix
Seerix

edit, my bad for reacting to bait, I am sorry.

Great race from both drivers, very impressive defense from Osc and awesome progression by Lando.
Well done, excellent Sunday.
Last edited by Seerix on 15 Sep 2024, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Lando is 59 points from Max and Oscar is 13 points from Charles. Both getting closer to their targets. Both pretty intense battles.

This season is intense.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

billamend wrote:
Arcanum wrote:
On the other hand this enabled them to take the lead in the constructors.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Shader wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:01
McLaren showed today, what team work is all about. Oscar drove a fantastic race, but Lando gave a lot of help. Team did good pitstops, good strategy... Lando drove a great recovery race. Today, everything clicked. I am so proud of this team.... and to be #1 at the Constructors table, after so many years is just splendid..... Enjoy it guys, it's been a while :D \:D/
Lando did the work to help Oscar win, and ergo McLaren taking the lead in the constructor's championship.
Which is what the team will care about given they've not won it since 1998 I think.

Lando did a great recovery drive, and to finish ahead of Max is not to be sniffed at. It's the kind of
drives he needs to do when to win a WDC. What he needs to do now, is make no more mistakes in
qualifying and win races. McLaren are on a learning curve as a team when it comes to fighting for championships, and I have to say they've done fairly well, despite the mistakes.

Oscar is the real deal, Brown struck gold by swooping in for Oscar. Whatever happens in the WDC, McLaren are in a very good position going forward into 2025.

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:09
Unless VER has a DNF the WDC isn’t really going to be under threat. Let’s just be pleased with a really really good driver and team performance today. Track isn’t ideally suited yet somehow they made it work. Of all the outcomes, I’ll take a win any day
The McLaren can win just about anywhere with the right strategy calls and the drivers doing
what they need to do. As for Max? If he continues to struggle like this, and Lando starts winning races then
the WDC is very much up for grabs. I think Max will just about win the WDC. But I think it'll be a lot closer
than people expect. McLaren and Ferrari appear to have an edge over Redbull.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

billamend wrote:
Arcanum wrote:
Stop it. Both drivers help the other driver when it makes sense. Last year Lando was often waved through when he had better pace or tires.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

proteus wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:17
billamend wrote:
Arcanum wrote:
On the other hand this enabled them to take the lead in the constructors.
It's all McLaren care about as a team is the constructors championship.
Lando has a long shot at winning, he needs everything to go right from now
on and for Max to have DNF's and no race wins. Oscar and Lando have been working
together at various points during the season to secure the points required for the
WCC.

mwillems

billamend wrote:
Arcanum wrote:
You think Oscar hasn't helped Lando?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anyone know the potential penalty for Max, that is if he's found in breach of the rules? I think he'll escape, but in the event he doesn't what could the penalty be?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

billamend wrote:
Arcanum wrote:
Would not have been too difficult considering the top speed of the Red Bull today...

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:43
Does anyone know the potential penalty for Max, that is if he's found in breach of the rules? I think he'll escape, but in the event he doesn't what could the penalty be?
Jail, sent to a solitary confinement.

Arcanum
Arcanum

You think Oscar hasn't helped Lando?
Oscar absolutely has helped Lando. There have been a couple of times this year and last when he's been asked to hold station rather than fight Lando. And he's let Lando through when Lando is clearly faster.

The move from Piastri at Monza was a really ballsy on the limit move. On the limit of fairness, but impressive. He has a real feel for the brake pedal in the same mould as Ricciardo. And yet. Such a move was bound to result in balking the other driver because they have to back off so much to avoid a crash. Fine for the driver of another team, but your own teammate? So while what he did in Monza is undeniably impressive, and legal, it pretty much lost the race for McLaren. They wouldn't have known it at the time, hindsight is 20:20 and all that. Yet Leclerc was a good way back and McLaren could have controlled the pace from a 1-2 position far better than they did. The only chance McLaren had to salvage the win would have been to ask Lando not to attack Oscar after the first stops so they preserved their tyres better. Yet that wasn't really going to be a viable call after the first lap overtake.

What gets a bit depressing with this thread is that there isn't recognition of both drivers strengths and weaknesses. Lando finding ways to screw up starts, for example. Though he did well at Monza and today at Baku. Oscar's move in Monza wasn't very "Team Papaya". Equally, Oscar seems to have figured out how to work the tires, is taking over the mantle of "last of the late brakers" from Ricciardo and has definitely helped Lando out. Lando gave Oscar the chance to win today, and Oscar duly delivered. If the team strategy had been better in Canada and Silverstone both drivers would be further ahead.

What I don't get is why one driver has to lose in order for the other to win. They both do great most of the time, sometimes they don't. But the bashing on this thread is a little childish at times.

Ben1980
Ben1980

https://x.com/FDataAnalysis/status/1835 ... z91kA&s=19

Is this new, or people just looking more?

Waz
Waz

Oscar overtakes for the lead and has Leclerc in his DRS for almost the rest of the race, but the wild take is that Norris helped him win it by holding up Perez for a little bit?

C'mon man, this is getting way overboard now.