Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mzso
mzso

Re: Ferrari F1-75

wowgr8 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 13:42
So 3 different tracks, Spain high downforce, Bahrain somewhere in the middle and Jeddah low downforce but Ferrari don't seem to have changed the rear wing spec at all since the first day of testing, really interesting
Maybe they're planning larger scale updates, which is easier to do when you're on the front. Why waste budget on smaller stuff?
Plus they seemed to be best at higher speed turns anyway.

mzso
mzso

But also: "Still inconclusive if the Ferrari is split turbo or not. "
That's just his best interpretation.
LM10 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:12
Strange that Ferrari is OK with presenting the PU in it's naked entirety.
Entirety? People are still arguing whether it's split turbo or not.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah. Faaaar away from the entirety! :lol:

Cant conclyde anything with these pictures. The intake elbow to the compressor looks like there is barely any room for a compressor in that location. Quite a tight bend if the compressor is at the front of the engine.

Need more photos.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

GrrG wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 14:46
Scarbs split turbo

This is the thing.... Even in scarbs sketches the intake elbow to conpressor is extremely tight. Mercedes and Honda had this and change to bigger sweeping elbows here to reduce flow losses.

Photos inconclusive.
The compressor could still be at the back if the engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

tpe
tpe

ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 15:36
Moctecus wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:28
https://i.imgur.com/KwiCLme.jpg
Scarbs says it's a split turbo!
The intake seems to go at the back of the engine. If it was a split turbo, should it be at the front?

pierrre
pierrre

wowgr8 wrote:
So 3 different tracks, Spain high downforce, Bahrain somewhere in the middle and Jeddah low downforce but Ferrari don't seem to have changed the rear wing spec at all since the first day of testing, really interesting
last season higher downforce cars would still run less wing but their downforce level still higher than the 2022 cars so seeing just a slight reduction in wing downforce setting for jeddah on a 2022 set up can be expected....

jumpingfish

Will be there a difference in the location of the cooling elements for the split turbo and the non-split version? F1-75 still has a small air intake at the top like in previous years, is it possible to maintain the same silhouette with split turbo?

JPower
JPower

Last edited by JPower on 25 Mar 2022, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mangalhit

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 21:44
Stu wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:38
When they’ve committed to regulations that mean the engines should last for 7.3 races, running them as ‘easy’ as possible seems the most sensible course of action.
Hoffman900 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:40
This. These regulations mean we’ll never see them all in except for very rare occasions, and thus looking at trap speeds will always be misleading of true potential because it only has to be turned up ‘just enough’.
Bit off topic, but I would push these engines as far as I have to within expected reliability. If you earn 2 full PU penalties and have the best PU, like Ferrari might have, you can realistically do the Ham-Brasil-21. Even a podium would be a great result. With these cars and race-friendly aero, my feeling for the best season-long strategy is to push like hell. Every race.
This works if you have a way faster car then 80% of the cars out there and you still easily get a podium. With a thighter field it really changes that equation

Vanja #66

wowgr8 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:58
Looks the same as Bahrain to me
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FODVAUPWYAE ... name=large
Pfff, true... Hard to say. :shock: Maybe they had two specs aready, or they now tilt the entire thing (with endplates) to change the angle... This photo should be from the race, the silhouette looks bigger, i.e. the angle looks bigger, maybe even camber.

Big Mangalhit wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 20:00
This works if you have a way faster car then 80% of the cars out there and you still easily get a podium. With a thighter field it really changes that equation
Well, is the field really that tighter? Especially when you have a brand new PU, while those ahead have at least 5-6 races old PU components, some components even more...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

GrrG wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 12:12
Ferrari's 2022 power unit.

If it is split turbo, I was trying to make sense of why the airbox is so far back. Also, why there seems to be no plenum elbow ahead of the engine, where you might expect the compressor inlet to be. Maybe they've flipped the compressor around. They have many seasons of experience running the inlet over the compressor shaft.

Another explanation is that it is not split turbo, the compressor is still at the back, and the intercooler position might have been changed.
𓄀

GrrG

Big Mangalhit

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 20:29
Big Mangalhit wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 20:00
Well, is the field really that tighter? Especially when you have a brand new PU, while those ahead have at least 5-6 races old PU components, some components even more...
Yeah probably not any closer this year, but they didn't know that before the first race. Maybe first race they ran conservative and maybe they'll adapt as they go. Maybe using the same rear wing on a lower downforce track will come with a more aggressive map this race.

Do you think they could be tuning their DF levels elsewhere (like floor or something)?

LM10
LM10

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 18:13
Entirety? People are still arguing whether it's split turbo or not.
Well, forget “entirety” as I was exaggerating obviously. Let’s say that they’re much more relaxed about showing it the way they are. Would have not been the case in the past. But as has been pointed out by the users who have answered me, most parts of the PU are frozen already.

Sevach
Sevach

wowgr8 wrote:
The thing is, since it was testing they didn't need to fully optimize the car for Barcelona.

Visually i can't see a difference between the Jeddah and Bahrain RWs (the FW looks slitghtly bigger), maybe they'll try a different path, maybe after FP1 a different wing will show up.